Tressa Watts

Default Swimming Pool advice

I am dreading pool season coming up soon. Not only do the chemical costs kill my budget but also the electricity to run it 24 hours a day.

I have a seperate electricity bill from my shop which included my irrigation pump for underground sprinklers and swimming pool pump. My bill is generally $8a month for electricity for the shop through the winter..(base rate) but come summer we are running at around $100 a month for electricity just for the shop. Chemicals are even worse...

My questions are...does anybody that has a large inground pool shut off the pump at night? And if so does it then cost more in chemicals? Any help on saving on chemicals also?

Thanx in advance!

Tressa

<hr>Shed those extra pounds with MSN and The Biggest Loser! Learn more.

armstrca

<SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 11pt;COLOR: teal;FONT-FAMILY: 'Comic Sans MS';">I had a pool and would shut it off all the time at night.<SPAN> Actually, I had a time and set the time to run from 8 8.<SPAN> Then would physically turn it on if someone was swimming (then turn it off when they got out).
    <SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 11pt;COLOR: teal;FONT-FAMILY: 'Comic Sans MS';">The only time I ran it all night long was after I shocked it, to get the chlorine level up.
    <SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 11pt;COLOR: teal;FONT-FAMILY: 'Comic Sans MS';">What type of pool is it? Mine was an inground fiberglass. It held 20,000 gallons of water and was 8 ' deep at the deepest end (and 3' at the shallow).
    <SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 11pt;COLOR: teal;FONT-FAMILY: 'Comic Sans MS';">

From: Budget101_@yahoogroups.com [mailto:Budget101_@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Tressa Watts
    Sent: Wednesday, March 12, 2008 12:15 PM
    To: budgetgroup
    Subject: Budget101.com : Swimming Pool advice
    <SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 12pt;FONT-FAMILY: 'Times New Roman';">My questions are...does anybody that has a large inground pool shut off the pump at night? And if so does it then cost more in chemicals? Any help on saving on chemicals also?

Tracy Latour

<div style="font-family:verdana, helvetica, sans-serif;font-size:12pt;"><DIV style="FONT-SIZE: 12pt;FONT-FAMILY: verdana, helvetica, sans-serif;">We run ours mostly at night, due to the price of electricity is CHEAPER at night.
    <DIV style="FONT-SIZE: 12pt;FONT-FAMILY: verdana, helvetica, sans-serif;">
    <DIV style="FONT-SIZE: 12pt;FONT-FAMILY: verdana, helvetica, sans-serif;">On days that we had a lot of swimmers we would run it more, but for the most part we would run it at night and NOT 24/7. My husband would run it a couple hours a day.

----- Original Message ----
    To: budgetgroup <budget101_@yahoogroups.com>
    Sent: Wednesday, March 12, 2008 12:14:38 PM
    Subject: Budget101.com : Swimming Pool advice

I am dreading pool season coming up soon. Not only do the chemical costs kill my budget but also the electricity to run it 24 hours a day.
    I have a seperate electricity bill from my shop which included my irrigation pump for underground sprinklers and swimming pool pump. My bill is generally $8a month for electricity for the shop through the winter..(base rate) but come summer we are running at around $100 a month for electricity just for the shop. Chemicals are even worse...

My questions are...does anybody that has a large inground pool shut off the pump at night? And if so does it then cost more in chemicals? Any help on saving on chemicals also?

Thanx in advance!
    Tressa

<SPAN style="height:2px;border-bottom:1px solid rgb(212,208,200);border-top:1px solid rgb(128,128,128);background-color:black;">
    Shed those extra pounds with MSN and The Biggest Loser! Learn more.

<DIV style="FONT-SIZE: 12pt;FONT-FAMILY: verdana, helvetica, sans-serif;">

Be a better friend, newshound, and know-it-all with Yahoo! Mobile. [/url] "] Try it now.[/url]

Jay Murphy

I personally do not have a pool, but my parents have always had one, and they run it for only about 5 hours per day to clean the pool. If this is done regularly, the pool stays clean. No extra chemicals.

On Wed, Mar 12, 2008 at 10:14 AM, Tressa Watts <TressaPSGT@hotmail.com> wrote:

Thanx in advance!

Tressa

<hr>Shed those extra pounds with MSN and The Biggest Loser! Learn more.

[/quote]

--
    Make some MONEY and play games for free:
    http://www..com/signupCode/twistedheartsranch

CashCrate also gives out lots of cash for doing very little.
    http://www.cashcrate.com/511609

Shussy Sassmannshausen

When I lived in southern California I only ran the pump 6 hours a day
    and eve at that the pool man said we could drop it back to 3 hrs/day.
    We add very little chemicals BUT seldom used the pool. When we moved
    into the house the huge pool was green after many weeks and tossing
    money to the pool man, also emptied and refilled the pool the bottom line
    in make sure your understand how your pool filter works, that was the key
    to the whole pain-in-the-neck.
    Shussy

On Wed, Mar 12, 2008 at 12:14 PM, Tressa Watts <TressaPSGT@hotmail.com> wrote:

Thanx in advance!
    Tressa

<hr>

Cheryl Carew

We switched our pool to salt water. Better all around, better on eyes, and skin, and uses no chemicals. It takes alittle to get it maintain at first, but salt is alot cheaper. The system could run about $900.00, but it is so much better, it is maintance free. We also only run our pumps for about four hours a day. We were told that once you got it clean then it should be maintance free.

----- Original Message ----
    To: Budget101_@yahoogroups.com
    Sent: Thursday, March 13, 2008 8:34:06 AM
    Subject: Re: Budget101.com : Swimming Pool advice

When I lived in southern California I only ran the pump 6 hours a day
    and eve at that the pool man said we could drop it back to 3 hrs/day.
    We add very little chemicals BUT seldom used the pool. When we moved
    into the house the huge pool was green after many weeks and tossing
    money to the pool man, also emptied and refilled the pool the bottom line
    in make sure your understand how your pool filter works, that was the key
    to the whole pain-in-the- neck.
    Shussy

<DIV class="gmail_quote">On Wed, Mar 12, 2008 at 12:14 PM, Tressa Watts <TressaPSGT@hotmail. com> wrote:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="gmail_quote" style="BORDER-LEFT: #ccc 1px solid;">

Thanx in advance!
    Tressa

<SPAN style="height:2px;border-bottom:1px solid rgb(212,208,200);border-top:1px solid rgb(128,128,128);background-color:black;">

Never miss a thing. Make Yahoo your homepage.