Thread: Newbie from Tx

Ground Level Lurker
    Downloads
    Uploads

Smile Newbie from Tx

Howdy!
    I retired from Nursing and Management Engineering and Computer Simulation. I have 2 daughters, 6 grands and 3 greats. Love traveling the world, cooking, gardening, reading, learning crochet, knitting and crafts.

We are stepping back in time. In the sixties we grew our own veggies, made our yogurt and all our bread. Now we are doing it again only Gluten Free! LOL

Recently purchased an Excalibar 3500 and started drying some items. How do I know if I am doing this right? The first grapes I did, I didn't dry long enough (only about 5 hours). They turned moldy. Second grapes took 24 hours and no mold yet.

What are the easiest veggies and fruits to start drying? Any tips? Has anybody dried sausage and ground beef? How long can they be stored?

Looking forward to participating in this group.
    Thanks,
    Linda

Deal GURU
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Newbie from Tx

Hello and Welcome, LindaTxRN! Good to have you here. Here is a link to the food dehydrating section on this site: http://www.budget101.com/frugal/dehy...ood-mixes-186/ I hope this helps. Thanks; Virginia

Mod Squad
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Newbie from Tx

welcome to the site. I dry onions and garlic and then powder them. I also love drying potato to have a mix ready of scalloped sure beats paying the prices for boxes of the stuff. I have not tried meat except for making jerky, but makes sense that it would work for ground beef as well. Hope you enjoy the site.