Smart Budgeter
    small city California. displaced country girl.
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Bacon Guacamole Grilled Cheese Sandwich

Bacon Guacamole Grilled Cheese Sandwich from Closet Cooking
    Closet Cooking: Bacon Guacamole Grilled Cheese Sandwich

Servings: makes 1 sandwich

Prep Time: 5 minutes
    Cook Time: 10 minutes
    Total Time: 15 minutes

Ingredients
    2 slices bacon
    2 slices sour dough bread
    1 tablespoon butter, room temperature
    1/2 cup jack and cheddar cheese, shredded
    2 tablespoons guacamole, room temperature
    1 tablespoon tortilla chips, crumbled (optional)

Directions
    1. Cook the bacon until crispy and set aside on paper towels to drain.

2. Butter one side of each slice of bread, sprinkle half of the cheese onto the unbuttered side of one slice of bread followed by the guacamole, bacon, tortilla chips, the remaining cheese and finally top with the remaining slice of bread with the buttered side up.

3. Grill over medium heat until golden brown and the cheese has melted, about 2-3 minutes per side.

ok. This one I did make - yesterday.
    I changed a few things - too lazy to make guacamole, so I just used some slices of avocado. Used turkey bacon. Used sliced Swiss cheese.
    Didn't do the crushed tortilla chips. Did use sourdough bread. I lightly spread some mayo on the bread sides that would touch the pan and then added a bit of butter to the pan to fry in.

So, needless to say, mine didn't look like the photo! But it was very, very good and will go in my keeper file.

I figured out my cost per sandwich and it came out to $.82.
    Turkey bacon on sale at .49/pkg of 22 slices - $.11/slice – 2 slices per sandwich

Sourdough bread bought at 99-cent store. 24 slices but graduated sizes of slices so lets say 18 - $.06/per slice – 2 slices per sandwich
    Avocado - .38/each on sale (live in CA) – divided between 5 sandwiches - $.08 per sandwich
    Swiss Cheese on sale - $2.39/pkg of 12 slices - $.20/each slice – 2 slices per sandwich

Served with split pea soup. – organic Amy’s brand. Bought at local dented can store (but it wasn't dented!) 3 cans/$1.00 = $.33/can

Total Meal – 5 sandwiches, 1 can soup, 3 people = $4.43
    If you're not as piggy as we were/are and only have 1 sandwich per person = $2.79/person

Sales and grocery outlet-type/cheap stores were a big factor in this costing so little.
    and actually the turkey bacon and swiss cheese were bought at a grocery store called Grocery Outlet. They weren't technically on "sale" because the whole store is at supposed closeout sale prices (sometimes yes, sometimes no). You just have to go on once a week and see what they have....and of course, the next time you go in, they won't have that product!

farmkat/KathyJ
    Last edited by farmkat; 10-29-2012 at 02:13 PM. Reason: fix spelling