Deal GURU
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Low Virtual Memory

Well alrighty then...
    Question...what in the world is that?

Last night, after messing around with a new anti virus install, my computer decided to
    throw me a curve ball.
    Almost all of my 'virtual memory' is apparently used up or...just gone...Say what?...???
    I'm so incompetent when it comes to computer technology that it's down right scary.
    Seriously.

Any ideas or solutions...

HELP

Freebies Make My Day
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Low Virtual Memory

I would just delete what you entered (startmenu, computer, click uninstall/Install) and delete what you downloaded. Then see what your system says (Virtual Memory). I use to mess around with anti virus software (free), then I decided to just download Microsoft Security Essentials from the Microsoft site for FREE (never had a problem).

I also have no idea what I am doing, but so far so good. BUT I would delete what you downloaded and start from there.
    Hope Everyone Is Enjoying The Day. Best Wishes From MN ~ Pamela

Freebies Make My Day
    Downloads
    Uploads

Here is a link I found Reasons for Low Virtual Memory | eHow.com Hope it helps!!!!!!
    Hope Everyone Is Enjoying The Day. Best Wishes From MN ~ Pamela

Creator & Designer of Budget101.com
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by MrsPaws View Post
    Well alrighty then...
    Question...what in the world is that?

Last night, after messing around with a new anti virus install, my computer decided to
    throw me a curve ball.
    Almost all of my 'virtual memory' is apparently used up or...just gone...Say what?...???
    Okay hun, here's the issue,
    If your system's random access memory (RAM) isn't enough to run a program or operation, Windows uses virtual memory to compensate.
    Virtual memory combines your computerís RAM (which you probably know as "Memory" with temporary space on your hard disk. When RAM runs low, virtual memory moves data from RAM to a space called a paging file. Moving data to and from the paging file frees up RAM to complete its work.

Some sites will tell you to increase your virtual memory- but this is NOT a recommended solution, because basically you are robbing peter to pay paul. The "virtual" memory allotment is STILL coming from your RAM. The solution to this (potentially long term) issue is to increase the Ram in your computer.

Alternatively, if you are running multiple programs at a time in your system, you can free some ram by making sure those programs are closed and are only running 1 or 2 applications at a time.

If you think that your virtual memory is too low you can use Microsofts "Fix it for me" solution, which will increase the settings based on your computer specs and keep things balanced out if you are unsure of what you're doing. Changing some settings blindly can render your computer unusable. Using the Fix it for me option ensures that you don't accidentally set it too low or too high.

Name:  fixit.JPG
Views: 29
Size:  10.4 KB
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/826513#FixItForMeAlways

If you want to see how much memory is currently being used by your computer, hit CTRL+ALT+DEL all together ONE TIME ONLY!!!

If you hit it twice, your computer will REBOOT without notice and you will lose any unsaved info.

Then click on Task Manager. The Windows Task Manager will pop up, click on "Processes" Tab- you will see a list of items that are running in the background on your computer. Click on the Memory tab to automatically see which ones are using the most memory.

Just a note, this is to give you an idea of What Programs/Applications are using the most memory so you know which ones to close. Do Not close programs down from this window (even though you can!) because it can and most likely WILL result in lost data.

I hope I explained this is non-techy way that makes sense!

Liss
    ~Liss~
    Creator & Designer of
    www.Budget101.com
    www.GroceryBudget101.com
    Budget101 Forums
    KitchenMixGifts.Budget101.com

*Newbies*
    Forum How To Guide

**The happiest people are not those with the best or the most of everything, The happiest people know how to make the best of everything they have.**

Budget101 Guru
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

I've been running into that problem from time to time. My computer is older and it can run really slow. I've been getting that same message too. Thank you Liss for the scoop on how to check who's hogging all my computer's memory.