Smart Budgeter
    small city California. displaced country girl.

Default Grown-Up BLT Grilled Cheese Sandwiches

Grown-Up BLT Grilled Cheese Sandwiches

A new take on a familiar favorite pairs grilled cheese with a BLT for a luscious veggie-packed sandwich that feels like an indulgence. Serve with zesty dill pickle spears. If you have extra room in your budget, pair with a sweet-tart hard cider. Worthy of a special occasion
    Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 1 sandwich)

Nutritional Information Amount per serving Calories: 376 Fat: 11g Saturated fat: 5.3g Monounsaturated fat: 4.8g Polyunsaturated fat: .6g Protein: 20.2g Carbohydrate: 50.3g Fiber: 3.3g Cholesterol: 24mg Iron: 2.9mg Sodium: 876mg Calcium: 308mg

Cooking spray
    1 cup vertically sliced red onion
    1 large garlic clove, minced
    1 cup (4 ounces) shredded reduced-fat (or not) sharp white cheddar cheese
    8 (1 1/2-ounce) slices hearty white bread
    2 cups fresh spinach leaves
    8 (1/4-inch-thick) slices tomato
    6 slices center-cut bacon, cooked (or turkey bacon)

1. 1. Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-low heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add 1 cup onion and garlic; cook for 10 minutes or until tender and golden brown, stirring occasionally.

2. 2. Sprinkle 2 tablespoons cheese over each of 4 bread slices. Top each slice with 1/2 cup spinach, 2 tomato slices, 2 tablespoons onion mixture, and 1 1/2 bacon slices. Sprinkle each with 2 tablespoons cheese; top with the remaining 4 bread slices.

3. 3. Heat skillet over medium heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Place sandwiches in pan, and cook for 3 minutes on each side or until golden brown and cheese melts.

Jennifer Martinkus, Cooking Light
    JANUARY 2010

farmkat/Kathy's notes: I have better luck using cheese slices than with shredded cheese when making grilled cheese sandwiches. I also lightly spread mayo on each piece of bread on the outside - the side that will touch the pan. I haven't made this particular recipe, but I plan to!

In my little corner of the world
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Grown-Up BLT Grilled Cheese Sandwiches

Mayo on the outside.... Hmmm... I've never thought to try that but why not? I bet it's good.

Freebies Make My Day jkpjohnson's Avatar
    Columbia Heights, MN.

Default Re: Grown-Up BLT Grilled Cheese Sandwiches

Mayo instead of butter is lower in fat I have heard. I tried it when we were low on butter 1 time, it was good, but I think butter browns much better (and it was a MIND thing for DH). Really could not taste the differance ;0)
    Hope Everyone Is Enjoying The Day. Best Wishes From MN ~ Pamela