Deal GURU
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Save Money via Bakery Thrift Stores, Company Stores, Damaged Freight Discounters

I stopped by one of my favorite discount markets today and thought I would share some of the bargains with you. We live very near to several large freight depots that are near the main roads that run North to South in California, Oregon and Washington. These depots often have damaged freight that they sell to dealers at an auction.

My discount market is one of these buyers. In addition to damaged freight they may have warehouse overstock - today it was overstock from Rite Aid Drugstore. Some of my bargains are cereal .50 to $1.49/ box (boxes are 12 oz to 30 oz), Kraft mayonnaise .49 for 30 oz jar, 3-cheese tortellini .79/ 8oz bag, Near East rice, couscous, and pilaf blends 3/100, cranberry sauce .25/can, snack chip bags 10/1.00. I also bought 4# of peanut butter for $5 and much more including Christmas gifts. I spent $35.00 for 44 items and saved $50 over regular retail prices on the food items alone. Some of the items may have recently expired,(most had not) but all are dry goods and likely to be good if used soon. Included in that purchase were four Christmas gifts that normally retail for 5.99 each - these are for gift exchange parties.

You may not have this sort of store near you, but similar bargains can be had at growers stores, frozen food factory stores, and bread stores (Dolly Madison, Hostess, Rainbow Bread.) In California it pays to befriend growers who have discounts for the products that use their crops - it is always nice to be able to send a gift basket to out-of-state friends without breaking my budget and I can trade some of my discount buys in exchange. Employees also often have nice discounts available.

One of my best finds was the local Jr. College's Ag Department sales. I get eggs and processed poultry at wholesale prices. The students must have field experience and can prepare for the state poultry inspector's license by processing the poultry raised on the college farm, there is also a state of the art egg-laying facility. You may wish to check with an Ag college or university to see if they have a similar program.

Budget101 Guru
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Save Money via Bakery Thrift Stores, Company Stores, Damaged Freight Discounters

At the U. of Florida, there is an Ag department. How would I contact them to find out about doing something like that?