Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    maria

Default dealership vs. fix it place

Whats your opinion on getting your car fixed?

I have a limited amount of money so a fixit place will be alot cheaper

then taking my car to a dealership for repairs,but then the question

remains,do you want it REPAIRED and DONE RIGHT or do you want to play a

guessing game of Did they repair it or just rig it to where it will run?

Whats your opinion?Experiences??

Karen Pierce

My experience - with both body work and with mechanial and/or engine repairs - has been that the fix-it shops actually do a better job, at a much lower cost. But that's just MY experience, I don't know if it's that way everywhere.... One of the experiences I had was when my husband's Tauraus had a recall notice on it for something, after warranty ran out. We took it to the dealer, and within 15 minutes, they called me with an "additional" list of repairs that needed to be done immediately, at a cost of over $1200. I said no thank you, just do the recall work. The next day we took the car in to Meinecke, and they looked it over and said "you don't need this. You don't need that. Nothing wrong with this".... One of the things the dealer told me we needed immediately was a new battery. That was four years ago, and we just replaced it this month. Up until then, it never gave us a
    problem and never failed to start the car. KP

maria <secretwindow-jd1@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

<div id="RTEContent"><font face="verdana, helvetica, sans-serif" color="#bf00bf">Karen Pierce<font face="verdana, helvetica, sans-serif" color="#bf00bf">Brookfield, WI<font color="#bf00bf"><font face="verdana, helvetica, sans-serif"><font color="#0000ff"><font color="#bf00bf"><font face="verdana, helvetica, sans-serif"><font face="verdana, helvetica, sans-serif">

Tressa Watts

Personally I only drive cars with a warranty or I buy an extended warranty so my car is always covered. I drive a Tahoe Z-71 and it has 3 computers if one goes out it is like $3,000.each!! My Honda Accord before that had a warranty until I got rid of it. Since their is always a warranty I alway take to the dealer. They do get you to try to do other things...some that you must to keep warranty valid.

My boyfriend only buys used cars with cash..no warranty. He has to pay when things go wrong but he buys less complicated cars that dont have all the things that can go wrong. He takes his to a repair shop that he trusts....(they are out there...LOL) Personally I like the piece of mind of a warranty as i do alot of driving and buy expensive cars that have expensive repairs.

I was looking at a BMW X5 Suv but the repairs far out weigh repairs on the Tahoe or Denali (did a spreadsheet of cost over 5 years for each)so I will prob go with another new tahoe or Denali. Would like the new "hybrid" Tahoe but the towing isnt great and I dont like to buy anythign the first year they make big changes....

I do alot of driving for my daughters elite volleyball team..(Washington, Oregon, idaho, Nevada )so I have to have a very reliable car This is my only MAJOR splurge as I am scared to death to be broke down somewhere...

Tressa

To: Budget101_@yahoogroups.com
    Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2008 17:32:54 &#43;0000
    Subject: Budget101.com : dealership vs. fix it place

Whats your opinion on getting your car fixed?
    I have a limited amount of money so a fixit place will be alot cheaper
    then taking my car to a dealership for repairs,but then the question
    remains,do you want it REPAIRED and DONE RIGHT or do you want to play a
    guessing game of Did they repair it or just rig it to where it will run?
    Whats your opinion?Experiences??

<hr>Helping your favorite cause is as easy as instant messaging.You IM, we give. Learn more.

Shussy Sassmannshausen

My experience with 'The Dealer' has

been horrible, I have always been

over charged and the work so-so if

that. Just because it's a dealership doesn't

means it's always DONE RIGHT. My

experience has been based on BMW, Ford,

Lincoln, Fiat, and Buick dealerships.

Also, the little golden book they use to quote your charges, so you won't be

overcharged LOL, the inside secret at most

dealerships is the mechanic is paid a % of

his quote-work completed, regardless of time spent. It is in the mechanic's

best

interest to move the car out as fast as he

can and move on to another car.

Hope I made sense, just thinking about it drives me wild.

Shussy

On Thu, Feb 14, 2008 at 11:32 AM, maria <secretwindow-jd1@sbcglobal.net>

wrote:

> Whats your opinion on getting your car fixed?

Gail Moncivais

good Friday Morning Maria
    I could not resist answering this one. As an ex-wife of a mechanic it depends. A new vehicle on warranty should be done at the dealers. If the car is no longer on warranty or was bought used you need to shop around for a reliable mechanic that will do the repairs that need to be done and not charge an arm and a leg.

My current vehicle (2000 Ford Windstar) is no longer on warranty but I still take it back to were I purchased it as there are things he knows how to repair. Other wise I would take it to the mechanic my sister goes to who is quite reasonable and really knows his way around a vehicle.

You need to find out from family and friends were they take their vehicles to and check them out - try a small minor repair that you know will not cost you a lot to have done, and see how well that shop does.
    Gail N.E. PA.

&#32;
    Be a better friend, newshound, and know-it-all with Yahoo! Mobile. [/url] "] Try it now.[/url]

ASC

I mostly lurk here, but I did want to reply to this. In general, I have not had good experiences with dealerships. I just bought a new minivan in April, though, and that dealership was much different than others I've dealt with. I mostly prefer to take our cars to a "fix-it" place in town--they are very reliable, honest & easy to work with. Not all places are this way, but they have a good reputation (very important!). My husband always took his vehicles to the dealership b/c that's what he learned from his parents, who won't buy cars--they always lease them. We buy ours & keep them for a long time, and he's pretty much come around to my side of things--esp. after visiting the garage where we normally go now. We're military, so we move around & need to find new service places every few years...so we often ask around, esp. to guys who like to care for their own cars--they tend to know the good places to go & can
    give you an idea of the honesty of the mechanics since they know about cars themselves. We'll take our new Honda to the dealership for what is required there, but other things will be cared for at our favorite garage. My opinions, amy

&#32;
    Be a better friend, newshound, and know-it-all with Yahoo! Mobile. [/url] "] Try it now.[/url]

M F

My girlfriends nephew works for an auto dealer and this is what I learned. The mechanic at a dealer is self employed. Most of them want a quick fix problems. No one wans to work on a trans it takes for ever and they are not making much money. But on the other hand the new vehicles today are so complex that the dealer has better knowledge and equipment to fix it. We drive simple vehicles. We are probably the only people in town who do not have a remote to unlock the car doors. They are a Saturn and Honda. We have vary simple cars and so we go to a private machanic that we trust and he is vary honest. We have had bad experience with dealers even when the vehicles
    were under the warranty. We are on one income and we save by going to a privately owned mechanic.

Melissa

My experience with 'The Dealer' has
    been horrible, I have always been
    over charged and the work so-so if
    that. Just because it's a dealership doesn't
    means it's always DONE RIGHT. My
    experience has been based on BMW, Ford,
    Lincoln, Fiat, and Buick dealerships.
    Also, the little golden book they use to quote your charges, so you won't be
    overcharged LOL, the inside secret at most
    dealerships is the mechanic is paid a % of
    his quote-work completed, regardless of time spent. It is in the mechanic's
    best
    interest to move the car out as fast as he
    can and move on to another car.
    Hope I made sense, just thinking about it drives me wild.
    Shussy

On Thu, Feb 14, 2008 at 11:32 AM, maria <secretwindow-jd1@sbcglobal.net>
    wrote:

> Whats your opinion on getting your car fixed?

Free Money- http://budget101..com/

*~*~*~*~*~*~*PLEASE TAKE A MOMENT TO VISIT OUR SPONSOR AD~*~*~*~*~*~*

Your Ad Here

*~*~*~*~*~*~*SPONSOR AD~*~*~*~*~*

To View the List Archives Please Visit http://www.budget101.com/forumdispla...iscussion-List

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Budget101_/

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Budget101_/join
    (Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
    mailto:Budget101_-digest@yahoogroups.com
    mailto:Budget101_-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
    Budget101_-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

Never miss a thing. Make Yahoo your homepage.

Karen Pierce

I'm with you...I drive a Kia Rio...my only requirements when I bought the car were that it have automatic transmission, air conditioning and a CD player. Nothing else mattered to me at all....After all, the Rio is a pretty "bare bones" car, which is what I wanted, as I just can't see paying over $20,000 for a car that loses half of its value in one year. My $9,000 brand new car with the100,000 mile, 10 year warranty, has been the best purchase I've ever made in my life. But anyway....I've always believed that the more "toys" there are to anything, the more likely that something will break. I drive a simple vehicle for that reason, and for the reason that for half, or even less, the price that most people pay for new cars, I had a brand new car that got me from point A to point B - and very nicely, I might add - that wasn't costing me an arm and a leg. And when ti's time to trade it in -- which may be in the next year or two, since mine is a 2001, I'm trading it
    in on a new Kia Rio...which is still pretty low priced, compared to other vehicles. And ti's a danged nice little car. KP

M F <milicaf35@yahoo.com> wrote: <DIV style="FONT-SIZE: 14pt;FONT-FAMILY: times new roman, new york, times, serif;"> <DIV style="FONT-SIZE: 14pt;FONT-FAMILY: times new roman,new york,times,serif;">My girlfriends nephew works for an auto dealer and this is what I learned. The mechanic at a dealer is self employed. Most of them want a quick fix problems. No one wans to work
    on a trans it takes for ever and they are not making much money. But on the other hand the new vehicles today are so complex that the dealer has better knowledge and equipment to fix it. We drive simple vehicles. We are probably the only people in town who do not have a remote to unlock the car doors. They are a Saturn and Honda. We have vary simple cars and so we go to a private machanic that we trust and he is vary honest. We have had bad experience with dealers even when the vehicles were under the warranty. We are on one income and we save by going to a privately owned mechanic.

Melissa

<DIV style="FONT-SIZE: 12pt;FONT-FAMILY: times new roman,new york,times,serif;">

<div id="RTEContent"><font face="verdana, helvetica, sans-serif" color="#bf00bf">Karen Pierce<font face="verdana, helvetica, sans-serif" color="#bf00bf">Brookfield, WI<font color="#bf00bf"><font face="verdana, helvetica, sans-serif"><font color="#0000ff"><font color="#bf00bf"><font face="verdana, helvetica, sans-serif"><font face="verdana, helvetica, sans-serif">

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast