Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast
    Deal GURU
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Article: Homemade Dishwasher pellets

How to make your own dishwasher pod/tablets for literally just a pennies each.

Read More: Article: Homemade Dishwasher pellets

Smart Budgeter
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

That is a terrific money saving idea. I hope this isn't a stupid question, but my dogs frequently ride in my car. You can see where drying the pellets might prove disastrous.

Do you think mixing the dry ingredients together and throwing a measuring scoop in an airtight container would work? I'm thinking a silica gel packet that comes with new shoes would draw any moisture that would cause the stuff to harden inside the container. It is easy enough to add a couple drops of lemon juice once the powder is in the dishwasher's soap dispenser.

Thoughts?

Deal GURU
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

I have the powder stored in a large whey protein jar and I make the pellets about 50 at a time. Another place to dry the pellets is on top of your refrigerator or if the cabinets above your range hood are deep enough, in there. Its amazing how much heat seeps into those cabinets. You might want to try taking a tablespoon of powder and mixing a few drops of lemon juice into it until it begins to clump and then putting this in your dishwasher's detergent compartment. Even though you just added lemon juice, it still takes a bit more to get rid of the drops on glassware so add lemon juice or white vinegar to the rinse solution compartment with each load. If you try using the detergent when it is moist, will you do me a favor and let me know how it turns out?

Smart Budgeter
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Will do.

I normally throw some white vinegar in the dishwasher anyway. We have hard water.

Shopping happens on Thursday. I should be able to get word back to you next Monday.

What's a Budget?
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Article: Homemade Dishwasher pellets

I never thought about placing these on top of the refrigerater. I am going to try to make these this weekend. Great idea

Smart Budgeter
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Sorry it took so long. Seems to work OK but unless you have quite a few of those silicone packs, you are chiseling the stuff free. On top of the fridge. That is a good idea.

What's a Budget?
    Downloads
    Uploads

I place mine in some old candy molds and made stars and shells.

What's a Budget?
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks for all your comments, I Can't wait to try, I'm so glad I found this site.

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast