Custom White Boards and Dry Erase Boards

When I was teaching math I wanted a white board for my classroom and mentioned it to the janitor. The next day I had a beautiful new 4' x 8' white board. I knew that there wasn't money in the budget for such a purchase, so he let me in on a little secret. When the finish on the white boards was

diy white board erasers, diy white boards, gifts, hand sanitizer white board cleaner, boards, white, board, make, erase, budget, frame, room, custom, special, giant, childs, mounted, wall, canvas, panels, artistic, homes, paint, trim, degree, molding, mitre, customize, attach, recipient, felt, ghosts, previous, writing, stubborn, removing, added, solvent, gift, holidays, jrodgers, message, making, picture, plain, wood, block, activity, erasers, laundry

Deal GURU
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Lightbulb Custom White Boards and Dry Erase Boards

When I was teaching math I wanted a white board for my classroom and mentioned it to the janitor. The next day I had a beautiful new 4' x 8' white board. I knew that there wasn't money in the budget for such a purchase, so he let me in on a little secret. When the finish on the white boards was too scarred to erase, he went to the local DIY warehouse store and bought a white acrylic coated piece of hardboard, cut it to fit and voila! a new white board!

He explained that he also cut 24 - 18" x 12" whiteboards for other teachers so that the whole class could quickly show their work or answer to a question. at ~$14.00 for 24, the cost is less than sixty cents per student - that fits any budget!

Dry erase boards are good for keeping track of freezer / pantry inventory, "Honey - do" lists, children's chore charts and as a quiet activity in the car. If you want to make them as special gifts, just attach some 45 degree mitre cut molding trim to make a frame. Paint the frame and customize it for the recipient.

I have seen some homes where the boards were mounted on the wall in a child's room as a giant artistic canvas.

These panels have a lot more uses than laundry room or garage walls.

Make custom dry erasers using wood block with felt glued on the back or simply recycle socks.

I have found that alcohol based hand sanitizer (plain, nothing added) is the best solvent for removing stubborn ghosts of previous writing from the boards.

How would you use these? Can you picture making a message board or special gift for the holidays?

-JRodgers

2. The Following User Says Thank You to jrodgers For This Useful Post:

Mod Squad
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Custom White Boards and Dry Erase Boards

I use the white wallboard all the time at home. I actually made a couple of holes on one end and put some plastic lacing to hang it. It is on a door in the kitchen for everyone to see. Each Sunday it is updated with our schedules for the week and then I draw a straight line and that is where the task to accomplish for the week are placed. Hanging nearby is a big desk/wall calendar and I have this policy that if it is not on the calendar or the white board then it will not happen. I have to watch the DH or he will try to do all of the task on Sunday. Everyone loves to be able to wipe it off. Sure helps to stay organized.

Deal GURU
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

One thing I noticed was that if I used the wet-erase markers to draw grids (days of the week, or chore-check off boxes) I could remove the dry erase marks without taking off the grid. When I wanted to remove the grids I used soap and water followed by the basic alcohol based hand sanitizer) You have a good system going. My family responds to a list better than reminders. I like your calendar policy - I'm in the process of moving over to COZI online scheduling, but I'm more comfortable with the visual display.

Freebies Make My Day
    Downloads
    Uploads

I also need a visual display, I enter everything on my PC calendar, but if I do not look it does not get done (such as a exercise schedule). I need it somewhere where I can see it at all times or it slips my mind. I like you tip on "wet-erase markers". I can make a weekly exercise schedule, check it off, then start over the following week.
    Hope Everyone Is Enjoying The Day. Best Wishes From MN ~ Pamela

Deal GURU
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

I too, have a visual memory, so I am starting to use COZI for the sake of the whole family, but I still need a list where I can see it. Maybe I'm addicted to the feeling that at the end of the day, I can see everything I've done and then erase it to start the new day fresh.

Deal GURU
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

I'm going to start writing my exercise schedule - My husband and I were swimming every night for several months, then I went back east to visit my Dad and now we've broken the habit. Got to get back to exercising!

Freebies Make My Day
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by jrodgers View Post
    I'm going to start writing my exercise schedule - My husband and I were swimming every night for several months, then I went back east to visit my Dad and now we've broken the habit. Got to get back to exercising!
    2 months left until the Holiday Season. I have started my diet and Nov 1 is D-DAY for excercising routine!!!
    Hope Everyone Is Enjoying The Day. Best Wishes From MN ~ Pamela

What's a Budget?
    Downloads
    Uploads

We made an entire wall in our kids bedroom out of this material so they could be the natural budding artists that they are. It worked fairly well for us, save for a couple times when they accidentally used permanent markers on the board. Theres a tip on the site somewhere here that tells how to fix it and shows you how in a video too.
    Workin' It Man