Results 1 to 2 of 2
Thread: Tomato Preserves
09-26-2012, 08:49 PM #1
- Join Date
- Nov 2011
- Blog Entries
(I've never tried this one, but thought it sounded interesting)
1 1/2 quarts small tomatoes-green, yellow, or red (about 2 lbs)
1 tbsp Ball mixed pickling spices
1 (1/2 inch) piece fresh ginger
4 cups sugar
1 cup thinly sliced and seeded lemon (about 2 medium)
3/4 cup water
1. Wash and peel tomatoes; drain.
2. Tie spices and fresh ginger in a spice bag. Combine spice bag, sugar, lemon, and water in a large sauce pot. Simmer 15 minutes.
3. Add tomatoes; cook gently until they become transparent, stirring frequently to prevent sticking. Remove from heat.
4. Cover and let stand 12-18 hours in a cool place. Remove spice bag. Remove tomatoes and lemon from syrup.
5. Boil syrup for 3 minutes or long to thicken. Return tomatoes and lemon to syrup; boil 1 minute. Remove from heat.
6. Skim foam if necessary. Ladle hot preserves into hot prepared jars; leaving 1/4 inch head space. Adjust 2 piece caps. Process 20 minutes in a boiling water canner.
Yield: about 6 half pints
10-31-2012, 08:56 AM #2
- Join Date
- Aug 2012
Re: Tomato Preserves
OMG!! I've been looking for a recipe for tomato preserves for years,, literally like 13 yrs lol. I've had them on homemade biscuits at an Inn in a small Ohio town close to where I used to live. They are so so good, you'd never know that it was made from tomatoes. To me that tasted somewhat 'strawberryish'. Thankyou for posting it
By dealfindingmom in forum Coupons Galore $Replies: 0Last Post: 09-04-2012, 06:40 PM
By dealfindingmom in forum Coupons Galore $Replies: 0Last Post: 03-27-2012, 12:10 AM
By mos in forum Left Over LayeringReplies: 0Last Post: 03-28-2009, 12:40 PM
By FreebieQueen in forum Coupons Galore $Replies: 3Last Post: 11-04-2008, 08:40 AM
By Candace in forum Jar Gift & Kitchen Mixes & Gifts from The KitchenReplies: 0Last Post: 11-24-2006, 09:49 PM