Deal GURU
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default We got a great deal on hardwood laminate and labor, but what do we do with our stuff?

Last year we got a terrific buy on enough laminate flooring to completely do the whole house in hickory wood laminate. There was just one problem that was going to break our budget - the cost of storing our furnishings during the renovations.

The reason we were able to get such a bargain on the flooring was because it was winter in California, which is the rainy season. That means the flooring was cheap and there were lots of installers willing to do the work for less.

After exploring storage containers, pods and off site storage, we happened to find a bargain on the rental of a moving van for a week. No one likes to move in the rain either, so their business was very slow. For that week we literally kept one step ahead of the installer, moving one room at a time into the truck and then back to the house. As a result, flooring an 1100 sq ft house cost us about 1/3 of what it would during the summer.

Until then, I had never thought of the value of buying off season for construction materials and labor. This winter, I'm going to be looking for paint, I'm willing to bet that I can get some closeouts before the new color changes come out in the spring. - Jane

Budget101 Guru
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: We got a great deal on hardwood laminate and labor, but what do we do with our st

Quote Originally Posted by jrodgers View Post
    Until then, I had never thought of the value of buying off season for construction materials and labor. This winter, I'm going to be looking for paint, I'm willing to bet that I can get some closeouts before the new color changes come out in the spring. - Jane
    Congratulations on your great flooring deal. I did want to point something out, to perhaps keep you from waiting for something that probably wont happen. Paint doesn't tend to drop in price in the wintertime. I'm a contractor and I build for a living, paint only increases in price. If you buy the cheap stuff - lowes/home depot quality paint- it's a waste of time. It's poor quality, requires multiple coats and is generally a waste of money.

We always use Benjamin Moore- which has soared to $55 dollars a gallon here, up $8 since last year at this time. Paint doesn't generally drop in price because the colors are mixed using a machine as they are needed. The stores aren't storing a bunch of colors. Unless you're planning on purchasing "accidental" colors from lowes/home depot, where they have sales on paint colors they accidentally mixed and the customer rejected.
    ~ They Call it DODGE for a Reason! ~

Mod Squad
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: We got a great deal on hardwood laminate and labor, but what do we do with our st

I love the laminate floors. We redid our whole house with wood in the living room and bedrooms and then the tile look for the kitchen, dining room, laundry and bathroom areas. So easy to maintain and seems like with just a sweeping they look new and the house looks clean instantly. We did the install ourselves. Laminate is so easy to put in. If you can put a jigsaw puzzle together then you can put this flooring in. Enjoy your new floors.

Budget101 Guru
    Downloads
    Uploads

I just wanted to share that Sherwin Williams is having a 40% sale NOW if you're looking for deals on paint! You can get $10 off $50 purchase

Sherwin-Williams Coupons and Sales. Print a Coupon and Save Today.

Sherwin-Williams.com/Sale
    Hurry, Ends 9/24!
    ~ They Call it DODGE for a Reason! ~

Deal GURU
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

One of the reasons we were so pleased to get this done was because of extreme allergies in the family. We have special air filters on the furnace and individual ones in bedroom and living room. The 40 years old carpeting had to go, but we were unwilling to replace it with more carpeting. We, too, put 12" square ceramic tile in the foyer, bathrooms and kitchen area. It is amazing the difference in our health and the quality of our lives.

Deal GURU
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks for the tip. I'll have to stop by our local store tomorrow. We are hurriedly re-caulking the windows and replacing some of the fascia boards as the edge of the roof, so new paint is a must. I might just paint with a white primer and keep looking for bargains if I can't find what I want