Freebies Make My Day
    Downloads
    Uploads

Question Question ~ Trick to prevent Cheesecake from cracking

I just made my 1st cheesecake, is there a trick to prevent the top from cracking? It only did it on 1/4 of it, like an inch from the edge.
    Hope Everyone Is Enjoying The Day. Best Wishes From MN ~ Pamela

Deal GURU
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Question ~ Trick to prevent Cheesecake from cracking

(sorry I didn't answer sooner, I tried to post earlier and just as I got ready to click the post quick reply button my electricity went off! so I have to start over now, about 5 hours later.) Here is what I have learned. -- Start with room temperature ingredients. Be sure to mix your cheesecake batter well, eliminating all lumps in the cream cheese BEFORE you add the eggs and mix as little as possible once they are added. Generously grease the sides of the baking pan before pouring the batter into the pan. Be sure to cook your cheesecake gently. Use a water bath - Place the pan onto two or three layers of aluminum foil and then bring the foil up around the outside of the pan. Place it in a larger pan and put it in preheated oven. With a kettle filled with very hot water, pour water into the larger pan about halfway up the outside of the spring form pan, or approximately 1 1/2 to 2 inches of water. This will allow the cheesecake to cook more slowly and evenly. Bake half an hour at 300 F. Then, turn off the oven, open the oven door, and let it rest for 30 minutes. Then, turn the oven back on and close the oven door and bake 30 to 40 minutes more at 300 F. -- Keep an eye on it. Don't over bake the cheesecake. The best test of when a cheesecake is done is its appearance. The sides should be raised and just beginning to brown. There will still be a two to three-inch in diameter wobbly and shaky spot in the middle of the cheesecake, that looks undercooked. Remove the cheesecake from the water bath in oven. Place the cheesecake on a wire rack away from drafts. If you forgot to grease your pan or it looks as if the cake may be sticking (not pulling away from the sides) a couple of minutes after you take the cheesecake out of the oven, run a thin-bladed paring knife all round between the outside edge of the cheesecake and the inside edge of the spring form pan, always with light pressure against the inside of the pan (away from the cake) so as not to damage the cake. Once the cheesecake is cooled to lukewarm, cover and refrigerate. Remove aluminum foil from sides and bottom of pan after your cheesecake has cooled completely.

You can cover any cracks with whipped cream, ice cream, fruit, more crumbled Oreo cookies, chocolate sauce , the sky's the limit. Use what ever you like. Hope this helps. Thanks; Virginia

Freebies Make My Day
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks alot, I will add this to my favorites. I have not tasted it yet, I hope it still tastes good ;0)
    Hope Everyone Is Enjoying The Day. Best Wishes From MN ~ Pamela

Deal GURU
    Downloads
    Uploads

Forgot to add -- this method works with my oven, ovens temps and quirks are different so you might have to adjust. In another oven I had to bake at 325 for 45 minutes to an hour and turn the oven off and let the cheesecake cool inside the oven. The cracking of the cheesecake will not affect the taste, it is strictly looks.

Hope this helps. Thanks; Virginia

Deal GURU
    Downloads
    Uploads

You could always tell the person to whom you're serving that the cracks are intentional to hold more of the "Topping" on the cheesecake. That you didn't want them to feel gipped. lol

Or, you could "fill" the cracks with drizzled chocolate, strawberry sauce, pineapple sauce, etc.
    I'm a Freak!

Deal GURU
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Jane View Post
    You could always tell the person to whom you're serving that the cracks are intentional to hold more of the "Topping" on the cheesecake. That you didn't want them to feel gipped. lol

Or, you could "fill" the cracks with drizzled chocolate, strawberry sauce, pineapple sauce, etc.
    That sounds like a fantastic and tasty idea! Fill the crevices with a chocolate sauce,(especially a white chocolate sauce ), and top with fruit...hhhhmmmm...now that's on my mind as a "to do project". lol