Ground Level Lurker
    Downloads
    Uploads

Ribbon ISO: Need green chili recipe

I am looking for the recipe for Green Chilis like the ones in the little cans in the stores. They don't say what kind of peppers to use. I guess they need to be roasted and peeled, but I need to know what kind to grow next year so I can bottle some. Are they anaheim?

Deal GURU
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: ISO: Need green chili recipe

Quote Originally Posted by Carolyn22 View Post
    I am looking for the recipe for Green Chilis like the ones in the little cans in the stores. They don't say what kind of peppers to use. I guess they need to be roasted and peeled, but I need to know what kind to grow next year so I can bottle some. Are they anaheim?
    Hello Carolyn! According to Ortega's website they utilize Anaheim Chiles. You can home-can your own but they are a LOW acid food and MUST be canned with a pressure canner for safety.

Select chiles that are mature, heavy for their size, smooth and symmetrical, bright green in color, fresh, and crisp. Avoid misshapen pods, shriveled skin, mold, soft spots, and bruises. Approximately 9 pounds of chiles will make 9 pints of canned chiles.
    I'm a Freak!

Ground Level Lurker
    Downloads
    Uploads

Jane,
    Thank you for the information. I have a small Pressure Cooker. Can I use it with a rack for pint or half pint jars or is there a difference between a Pressure Cooker and a Pressure Canner? Also, are the Anaheim peppers roasted and peeled before processing and do you add anything else? Processing time, cooking time?

Deal GURU
    Downloads
    Uploads

It is not recommended that you can in a pressure cooker. Regulations today state that to be a pressure canner the pan must hold at least 4 quart jars. Anything smaller will under process your food, as it cools down faster. My understanding is that even those that are named pressure cooker/canners are no longer considered safe for canning if they do not hold the 4 quarts.

Protect hands--wear rubber gloves. Keep hands away from eyes while working with chiles!

Wash and dry chiles. With a knife, make a small slit in the side to allow steam to escape. The tough outer skin needs to be removed from chiles. Blistering the skin makes removal easy. To blister you can choose from these methods (there are probably other methods but these are the ones I am aware of): Oven or broiler method: Place chiles in a hot oven or broiler 400–450F for 6–8 minutes until skin blisters so that it can be pulled away form the flesh. Range top method: Place chiles on a hot electric or gas burner after covering burner with a layer of heavy wire mesh. Place peppers on burner for several minutes until skins blister. Outdoor grill method: Place chiles on a charcoal grill about 5–6 inches above glowing coals. A gas grill will also work, set on preheat/clean. Whichever method you choose, turn chiles frequently to prevent scorching and ensure even blistering. Remove from heat and spread chiles on a flat surface in a single layer to cool before peeling. For easier peeling, place in a pan and cover with a damp towel for a few minutes. After several minutes, peel each pepper. Flatten whole peppers.

You can add 1/4 teaspoon of salt per half-pint, or 1/2 teaspoon salt per pint if you want.

Fill jars loosely with peppers and add fresh hot boiled water, leaving 1-inch head space. Adjust lids and process 35 minutes at 11 pounds pressure in a dial gauge canner / 10 pounds pressure in a weighted gauge canner. If you are above 2000 feet altitude the pounds of pressure will be different on the dial gauge canner and if you are above 1000 feet the weighted gauge will be different. Note: If chiles are not processed within two hours after blistering, place them in shallow containers in the refrigerator to prevent spoiling.

Hope this helps. Thanks; Virginia