Creator & Designer of Budget101.com
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Article: 7-minute Potato Chips

Learn how to make your own Grease Free Crispy potato chips in less than 10 minutes flat without heating up the house with this simple, tried and true recipe

Read More: Article: 7-minute Potato Chips
    ~Liss~
    Creator & Designer of
    www.Budget101.com
    www.GroceryBudget101.com
    Budget101 Forums
    KitchenMixGifts.Budget101.com

*Newbies*
    Forum How To Guide

**The happiest people are not those with the best or the most of everything, The happiest people know how to make the best of everything they have.**

Ground Level Lurker
    Downloads
    Uploads

Anyone try this is a regular oven? I don't use a microwave. I think these would be great with a homemade sour cream based dip on a football night!

Ground Level Lurker
    Downloads
    Uploads

It would be nice to have directions for regular oven and toaster oven too. I prefer to use the last one. If anyone knows, please post it! Thank you for your help as well!

Ground Level Lurker
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Article: 7-minute Potato Chips

Quote Originally Posted by Aubergine View Post
    It would be nice to have directions for regular oven and toaster oven too. I prefer to use the last one. If anyone knows, please post it! Thank you for your help as well!
    If you looked in the traditional method they also had this method listed...

Alternatively, these can be baked as well.

To Bake Instead of Fry:
    Pre-heat your oven to 400 degrees F. Place the potato chips on cookie sheet, spacing them out so they aren't touching. Brush lightly with virgin olive oil and season lightly with salt. Bake for 8 minutes, remove from oven, flip the chips over and return to the oven for an additional 8-10 minutes (or until crispy & brown). Actual cooking time will vary depending on the thickness of the chips.

Seasoning Ideas:
    Salt & vinegar
    Sea salt
    Homemade BBQ Seasoning:
    1 teaspoon paprika
    1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
    1/4 teaspoon sugar
    1/4 teaspoon onion powder
    1/4 teaspoon chili powder
    1/8 teaspoon ground mustard
    Dash cayenne pepper

Ground Level Lurker
    Downloads
    Uploads

If you want a deeper flavor mox together about a half cup of vinegar and 3 tbs of salt in a one gallon ZipLock bag, add potato slices then add enough water to cover the slices. Swueeze out excess air and refrigerate for several hours or overnight. You may need to adjust the brine, as I use the pour and taste method and salt is not an issue in my diet. Adjustment could be more or less, depending on your taste and dietary requirements.
    After brinning remove slices to drain on kitchen towels or paper towels, or as suggested spin dry in a salad spinner.
    Once dry proceed with the instructions above.
    One exception, season before cooking, this way the seasoning will stick to the chips.
    I found just salting or seasoning, didn't impart enough flavor and the chips still tasted a little bland. Also, if you use a large baking potato, you will have a great big chip for dipping and the potato flavor is great.
    I prefer the no oil method. It takes one or two batches to get used to the flavor. It is a cleaner flavor. When you switch back to store bought you can really appreciate your efforts.
    These chips store very well and will maintain their crispness for a very long time, when stored in ziplock bags.