New to this site, and just love it!

Hi, I discovered this site about two weeks ago and I just love it. My husband and I are in the last five years before he retires and we bought our first house five years ago, before the prices dropped. We found ourselves upside down in our payments and due to downsizing, without jobs. That's

reduce car insurance cost, save money on escrow account, shop for insurance, insurance, cars, years, auto, make, site, saved, life, save, ways, love, husband, banks, escrow, $1,000/yr, paying, manager, credit, account, extra, competitive, bids, mortgage, principal, debt, card, month, flood, home, products, year, free, budget, 101s, christmas, ideas, grandchildren, 20th, great, favorite, jane, richer, mixes, lives, children, seniors, driving

Deal GURU
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Heart New to this site, and just love it!

Hi,
    I discovered this site about two weeks ago and I just love it. My husband and I are in the last five years before he retires and we bought our first house five years ago, before the prices dropped. We found ourselves upside down in our payments and due to downsizing, without jobs. That's when we became serious about saving some money.

My husband was out of work for about six months, and I had just retrained as a certificated teacher. For the first time in our life we understood on a personal basis why there are non-discrimination laws that include age. I am still trying to find a permanent school position - seems I'm good enough to be hired and teach up to the tenure point, but no district wants to pay health benefits for ten years for someone who will be retiring in five.

We've made some changes in our life; we garden more, stock up, use the cars less, and we have paid off both cars and all credit card debt. We pay extra into the principal every month on our mortgage and make sure that we get competitive bids for all insurance products every year (home, flood, and auto). Then we tell the bank's escrow account manager who to pay for our insurance - this has saved us up to ,000/yr. Paying off the cars, so we don't need gap insurance saved another 0/yr. on car insurance. We took a free seniors driving course at the community college to get additional /yr discounts on auto insurance. All of the nickels and dimes add up!

We have eight children and 19 grandchildren with the 20th one on the way, so Budget 101's Christmas Ideas is great as are the mixes. There are so many ways to save and make our lives richer. What are your favorite ways to save? - Jane

Deal GURU
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: New to this site, and just love it!

Welcome, Jane aka jrodgers! As you already have found there is loads of information on this site. Don't hesitate to ask questions. Thanks; Virginia

Deal GURU
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks, Virginia This is a really great site. I need some help understanding the nuisances of blogging. I tend to be a very literal person and I need some help reading between the lines. This is a great site, I am really enjoying it. - Jane

Deal GURU
    Downloads
    Uploads

Jane, I am sure someone on here can help you with that. Unfortunately, I am not one of the people that can. I am going to try to post a link to this post in the tech section and see if we can get the answers you seek. Thanks; Virginia

Freebies Make My Day
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Jane, you are correct

Quote Originally Posted by jrodgers View Post
    Hi,
    All of the nickels and dimes add up!
    Hope Everyone Is Enjoying The Day. Best Wishes From MN ~ Pamela

Creator & Designer of Budget101.com
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by jrodgers View Post
    Thanks, Virginia This is a really great site. I need some help understanding the nuisances of blogging. I tend to be a very literal person and I need some help reading between the lines. This is a great site, I am really enjoying it. - Jane
    Hi Jane! Welcome to the site! What kind of info are you looking for? We have a Blog FAQ if that helps,

Blog FAQ

We have eight children and 19 grandchildren with the 20th one on the way, so Budget 101's Christmas Ideas is great as are the mixes. There are so many ways to save and make our lives richer. What are your favorite ways to save? - Jane

Wow! That's a big family! I'll try to add some more family gift basket ideas too, those are usually a big hit.

For the first time in our life we understood on a personal basis why there are non-discrimination laws that include age. I am still trying to find a permanent school position - seems I'm good enough to be hired and teach up to the tenure point, but no district wants to pay health benefits for ten years for someone who will be retiring in five.
    I guess I never looked at it from that perspective, when I was younger (boy have the years flown!) I had issues with Male Managers wanting to pay me less for being a "Young female", while working in the restaurant industry. Is there any chance you could teach through a charter school? I'm amazed at the number of kids in our area that have dropped out of regular school classes and switched to online charter schools.

I'm looking forward to making a fresh mug of tea and having a chance to catch up on some posts and pm's!
    ~Liss~
    Creator & Designer of
    www.Budget101.com
    www.GroceryBudget101.com
    Budget101 Forums
    KitchenMixGifts.Budget101.com

*Newbies*
    Forum How To Guide

**The happiest people are not those with the best or the most of everything, The happiest people know how to make the best of everything they have.**

Ground Level Lurker
    Downloads
    Uploads

Wow this is a great website. I would say I am going to be pretty busy trying new recipes and ideas here.