Sending a huge wave:039: from Kendallville Indiana! I am new to forums and not sure of anything but hopefully I am doing this right! I found Budget 101 while looking for master mix recipes. When we lived in our big house I had a huge pantry and it was plum full of mixes & food storage. But since we

food, work, home, storage, mixes, heart, healthy, foods, days, tiny, house, pork, health, year, store, processed, life, small, stock, back, start, bone, grind, lived, live, made, huge, attack, grinder, meat, ground, lots, freezer, close, chicken, luckily, money, standing, impossible, started, cooking, eating, kids, scratch, thatís, mortgage, turn, itís, cook, spoiled

Thread: Newbie

Ground Level Lurker
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Newbie

Sending a huge wave from Kendallville Indiana! I am new to forums and not sure of anything but hopefully I am doing this right! I found Budget 101 while looking for master mix recipes. When we lived in our big house I had a huge pantry and it was plum full of mixes & food storage. But since we moved to this tiny log home (i.e. loverslanelodge. loverslane is what I named out drive way since we closed on Feb. 14th our anniversary .and the home is a tiny log home I call our lodge) My husband had a Heart attack 3 weeks ago he was at work and DROVE himself to the hospital and he was having a heart attack while driving. They rushed him to Ft. Wayne In. and did Emergency Heart Catheterization. They placed 1 stent and then His heart stopped when the catheter entered the second artery and he had to be shocked back to life. He was in the CCU for 4 days and then on the telemetry floor 1 day. While I was sitting in the room watching him for 3 days not knowing if they were going to rush him to have bypass surgery &I decided that I am going back to basics and healthy foods. No more processed foods in this house! His life means too much to me. I feel offal that my health has been so bad and I have not fixed meals, or mixes. Really no healthy foods like I use to. So I am here to restart our food storage and mixes. I am altering a lot of the mixes to low or NO salt, Low & healthy Fats & Oils, Increasing the fiber so I know what we eat from here on out is Healthy. I am praying that God will provide me with a 12 or 14 cup food processor and a meat grinder so I can make my own spices, ground meats and breads. I disabilities in my arms and hands and live in pain most days. So having those 2 items will really help me out. I use to purchase pork butt roasts on sale and remove all the fat and bone if it was bone in and then grind it up in a hand grinder. We made pork burgers and sausage as well as plain ground pork I used in cooking and would keep lots of it in our freezer. I also use to grind my own chicken. My kids are so spoiled they have never had instant potatoes. Everything was made from scratch. Then my health took a turn and even standing to cook became almost impossible. Thatís when we started eating more and more premade processed foods. Itís like now with him off work and just enough money coming in to pay our mortgage but nothing left for food. But luckily we live close to an Amish store that sells a lot of staples in bulk at really low prices so once he returns to work we can start purchasing some with each check and start to build a small stock pile. This is the 3rd yr something has happened to my husbandís health & he missed at least a month of work. With my disability I am not able to work outside the home and with no food store at all it has been hard. Last year I lived ĺ of the year on cereal so what little meat we had he could have it. And I am now determined to have a stock so if he would get sick again we will not have to worry about food. It amazes me how many of us never think head. I use to then with this tiny house I didnít have any storage area and just gave it up but no more! I hope I havenít shared too much. I just want people to understand that a small amount of food storage is something everyone should have! I did from the time my 1st child was born all the way until 2006 well that a little about me. I look forward to meeting new friend. Enjoy your Sunday Debi

Deal GURU
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Newbie

Welcome, Debi of LovesLaneLodge! I love the name of your little cottage. Sorry about the rough time you are going through. Don't blame yourself for what is happening. Life has it's ups and downs, and health problems no matter what we eat. We raise most all of our own food but we still have health problems, more so, as we age. There is lots of information on this site. If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask. Thanks; Virginia