Downloads
    Uploads

Default This is my $25 Thanksgiving Meal Plan

Re: Budget101.com : Re: Thanksgiving dinner - Every year we cook thanksgiving dinner

This is my $25 Thanksgiving Meal Plan

Turkey .68 lb = 15 pound=$10.20

Deviled Eggs =.28 get a dozen eggs and it will make 24 eggs once cut in half.

Mashed Potatoes= $2.69

Dressing- Bread Crumbs .25, celery .99, stock .99, giblets from turkey

Gravy couple tbls flour and leftover drippings from Turkey = pennies

Rolls- get brown and serve .50 2 packages =$1

Pumpkin Pie= pennies for the crust if you make home made, pumpkin pie filling =.69 Cool Whip $2

Veggie Tray= carrots .79 Celery use from listed above= free, radishes $1

Hope this helps, Laura

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Savin' Moola For This Useful Post:

Downloads
    Uploads

Re: Budget101.com : Re: Thanksgiving dinner - Every year we cook thanksgiving dinner

My family has always done this, as long as I can remember, for all of our extended family holiday dinners. I grew up with my parents, sisters, aunts, uncles, cousins, cousins-once-removed, grandparents & even a great grandparent at most of our holiday meals. Every family brought a dish or 2. We still do Thanksgiving & Christmas this way. Christmas dinner sometimes has 30 or more people!

Dee

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Savin' Moola For This Useful Post:

Downloads
    Uploads

RE: Budget101.com : Thanksgiving dinner - Every year we cook thanksgiving dinner

How about having the guests bring a dish? You could provide the main course (turkey & dressing) and have them bring the sides (veggies, salad, dessert, etc). Most people will be more than happy to bring something since they get to go somewhere ? you just need to ask them. Have a great holiday! Yolonda

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Savin' Moola For This Useful Post:

Downloads
    Uploads

Re: Budget101.com : Thanksgiving dinner - Every year we cook thanksgiving dinner

What areas are you spending the most in - food or drinks? For food, you could make the turkey and maybe one signature side dish and let others each bring another side/desert to fill it out. Or if its drinks, ask everyone to bring what they like to drink. Most people enjoy feeling helpful at a holiday, so don't be afraid to ask.

Start looking for the sales now and stock up a few items at a time for your menu. Can goods, stuffing cubes, cranberries, any frozen veggies you might use etc. You'll feel it much less if you add a bit to your groceries each week than doing it all at once.

I have Thanksgiving at my house every year and feed 14 adults and 6 children. I do most of the sides but my MIL and mom each bring a side as well. My guests bring appetizers or deserts and anything they want to drink besides the inexpensive beer, wine and diet pepsi that I provide Even with the alcohol, my most expensive part of the day is the turkey because we get a fresh 30 pounder so that there are plenty of sides leftover.

Monica in IL

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Savin' Moola For This Useful Post:

Downloads
    Uploads

Re: Budget101.com : Thanksgiving dinner - Every year we cook thanksgiving dinner

I asked everyone that is coming to bring a dish to share. It will help a lot and brings home the true feeling of the holiday.

Herlean

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Savin' Moola For This Useful Post:

Downloads
    Uploads

Walmart sells big value bags of vegetables such as peas, corn and green beans I found to be a real money saver.
    Laurie

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Savin' Moola For This Useful Post:

Downloads
    Uploads

It would NOT be out of line to have some of your guests help out...bring a dish or rolls or a pie....

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Savin' Moola For This Useful Post: