Thread: Noob from MD

What's a Budget?
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Noob from MD

I am about as frugal as you can get these days, I have a small garden (16x40 plot) where I grow my strawberries (in the spring), peppers (hot & sweet), tomatoes (beefsteaks, romas & grape), and green beans. Sometimes I add spring and fall crops such as lettuce, cabbage, spinach & other greens.
    But to save bookoo bucks on groceries (for now and later) I hit the Amish & Mennonite stands for fruits and veggies to can, so far I have over 500 jars put up this year (mater, green beans, corn, cherries, applesauce, applebutter, ect.) and I haven't hardly got through the fruit season yet (apples ,pears, peaches, ect). Not to mention freezing alot of the same (especially corn-on-the-cob)
    This not only saves me alot of money now but also through the winter. I know here in MD they've been selling corn-on-the-cob for $4-5 a doz, just over the PA line in Lancaster county, same corn at the Amish & Mennonite stands go for $2-3 for a baker's dozon. Tomatoes I get, are canning tomatoes (seconds) for $4.00 a 1/2 bushel, but these look just as good as the ones you buy in the grocery store for high $$$. I canned like 4 1/2 - 5 bushels this year (i make my own sauces which saves even more). I was actually hoping there was a canning/freezing section here, that is the most frugal way of saving money.

Quick & Easy Tomato Sauce

pre heat oven to 350 degrees
    take a 1/2 bushel of tomatoes (canning tomatoes $4-8 a 1/2 bushel) wash and core and remove any bad spots. cut the tomatoes in 1/2 (1/4's if they are big) and place them in a turkey roaster (or the biggest baking pan you have, but aluminum turkey roaster are cheap at the dollar store)skins and all. bake uncovered for about 1 - 1 1/2 hrs (until tomatoes start looking all shrively). take them out and allow to cool for a bit. Drain liquids (you can save the liquids for fresh tomato juice, just run through a mesh type strainer to strain out the seeds). Then in your food processor, or blender, on high,chop up the tomatoes until smooth (I do mine 1-2 mins) then it's ready to jar up and process in water bath for five mins, or put in pot with your favorite spices and have it for dinner. The seeds and skins get all chopped up and no one but you will ever know the difference. 1/2 bu makes approx 12 quarts of sauce. yes, I said 12 quarts of sauce (and about a gal of tomato juice) for $4.00. The only thing left is adding your own special touch with your spices.
    Just thought that was worth sharing

Deal GURU
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Noob from MD

Welcome! Sounds like you have a good handle on stocking your pantry. Thanks; Virginia

What's a Budget?
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks Virginia! With today's economy? Beleive me I try, because I really think things are only going to get worse. (but I won't get into the politics of it)
    If Lincoln ain't screamin', you ain't pinchin' hard enough!

Freebies Make My Day
    Downloads
    Uploads

Glad to meet you!

Hope Everyone Is Enjoying The Day. Best Wishes From MN ~ Pamela