Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Deal GURU
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default This years Garden

Garden 2012 -- This year we are in a drought, but it did not stop our gardening efforts.

None of our bean crops produced. They came up, had nice plants even had pods, but the pods seemed to disappear. Strange!

Our Tomatoes produced plenty for fresh eating, but the quality and quantity was not good enough to can.

Cabbage and other assorted things did fine for fresh eating, as well, but not enough for storing.

We were/are truly blessed with an over abundance of potatoes, onions, summer squash, zucchini, and of all things watermelons. Still harvesting these, except for the onions which have all been harvested.

The Eggplants and Bell Peppers have just this week began to produce.

Pumpkins and winter squash is still out there. Did have quite a few spaghetti squash that have been harvested.

Not much on our fruit or nut trees, but our table grapes are giving us a fine harvest.

Well, that's all I can think of at the moment; so, I will close this post.

How did Your garden grow? What did you plant?

Thanks; Virginia

Deal GURU
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: This years Garden

I only have a small area to use for a garden, so not much was planted.
    We've been in drought conditions too...makes it a bit harder...
    A couple of my tomato plants died a while back, but still have 7 left. They appear to be in really good health, although I did have issues with them earlier in the summer. All of the plants have a ton of small green tomatoes, but they're not getting large...not sure what's the problem there.
    I have a pot of bell peppers with 4 plants-they're doing really well. I've got three peppers on there now. One, I should've picked today, and two others that should be ready in about a week.
    My original zucchini plants have died out, but I planted others and they're growing nicely.
    My jalapeno pepper plants are growing but still haven't produced anything.
    The garlic and onions I experimented with didn't do after all.
    I planted asparagus, but can't do anything with it this year.
    I also planted carrots, but it was in a too shallow container and they didn't do that well.

All in all, better than expected but not as well as it could have been.
    Something I'm gonna work on before next summer...

Deal GURU
    Downloads
    Uploads

We have been picking a lot of eggplants and peppers this last week. Harvested around 6 gallons of table grapes from our 3 grape vines, they were really good and sweet. Since the rain, a lot of stuff is coming up, too late for most of it around here but you never know. Harvested our first sugar pie pumpkin the other day and it made two pumpkin pies. Happy Gardening, everyone! Thanks; Virginia

Freebies Make My Day
    Downloads
    Uploads

I also only have a small area to grow, the tomatoes are a good size but only 1-3 have turned red, rest are still green. Pepper plants grew, but no peppers! This was the first year that I planted brocolli, they took awhile to grow, but tasted great (will plant more of this next year). Green Beans and Peas, nice plants but no product ( I can normally get GB to grow, but never can get the peas to produce). Cucumbers coming out of my ears!
    Hope Everyone Is Enjoying The Day. Best Wishes From MN ~ Pamela

Creator & Designer of Budget101.com
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Our tomatoes, jalapenos and watermelon took off and did amazing, as did the eggplant. We just planted peas this past week, my cucumbers were sad due to the ridiculous amounts of rain we got day after day after day. This has been, by far, the rainiest year we've ever had here. I would have loved to send some over to our members who so desperately needed it!

I put away quite a few quarts and pints of salsa, peaches, jams and pie fillings- but not nearly as many as previous years. I was actually considering paying the farmers market a visit this weekend and pick up a few more cases of veggies to can.

We've begun harvesting sweet potatoes (these actually grew on their own from some pieces that were left over in our garden from last year). Our apple trees finally produced enough delicious apples to make a couple fall dishes and a fresh pie. We'll be planting a few more trees in a few weeks. We lost a couple of our cherry trees this year, perhaps to a virus or mold. It's hard to tell- they were lush and beautiful one day and the very next day dead as a doornail.

I've planted some lettuce, spinach and peas for a 2nd crop this fall. It's taken time for me to get acclimated to the growing schedule in the South. When you grow up starting seeds on Easter Sunday and harvesting in Early August, it's hard to change!

I just started a couple new tomato plants in buckets indoors so we can have fresh tomatoes all winter long. I also planted some basil with them. Does anyone else plant tomatoes in the fall so they can have them fresh throughout the winter or for gifts? The only downfall is that you have to pay attention to them when they flower and pollinate them yourself with a q-tip.

Our pomegranates didn't survive the rain, but at least the plants themselves are growing well. We planted 4 kiwi trees this year as well.
    ~Liss~
    Creator & Designer of
    www.Budget101.com
    www.GroceryBudget101.com
    Budget101 Forums
    KitchenMixGifts.Budget101.com

*Newbies*
    Forum How To Guide

**The happiest people are not those with the best or the most of everything, The happiest people know how to make the best of everything they have.**

Deal GURU
    Downloads
    Uploads

We are being over ran with eggplants and peppers now. Still have zucchini and yellow summer squash coming in. A cucumber here and there, a few more tomatoes have ripened. Beans still a no go for this year. (we had three plantings but not enough rain.) I have brought tomato plants that were growing inside for the winter but they only ripened the green ones that were set and did not flower. Maybe I need to start new plants like you did. Might do that. I was given a kiwi plant/tree in a pot last year, it is growing (still in its pot) in the living room right now. Happy gardening, everyone ! Thanks; Virginia

Deal GURU
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

We got a lot of zucchini, cucumbers, and Italian Plum tomatoes, so we made fresh pickles, dried or froze the zucchini / yellow squash, and sun-dried the tomatoes. Can't wait for winter to rehydrate the tomatoes with a bit of Marsala wine added to the water - it makes mouth watering sauces. Most of our garden is now in containers for the rest of this season. Once we get the greenhouse ready, I will make cuttings of my tomato and pepper plants to go in hanging baskets in the greenhouse. I don't expect very much from this year's greenhouse garden because we should have had some of our winter plants started by now - and we just didn't have the time. Is any one else using a greenhouse or cold frame to grow garden goodies this summer? - Jane

Budget101 Guru
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

My Tomatoes Sucked this year..They was little and stayed Green..some ripen enough to have a few salads... we had alot of green tomatoes..even got enough green to pickle them..and fry them

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast