MYO Homemade Butter

Homemade Butter

I made my own butter last week and I would like to share it. Add 1/2 cup of heavy cream in a mason jar (filled halfway). I used cold cream and a very cold marble. Add the marble to the cream and shake the jar. Don't shake very hard and this takes about 15-20 minutes. The butter will form as a

MYO, butter, buttermilk, cream, shake, cold, marble, water, salted, spoiling, kneading, rinsed, spatula, clear, salt, holding, kids, shaking, enjoy, fridge, great, cooking, hope, made, bowl, form, minutes, light, yellow, share, ball, 15-20, mason, filled, halfway, hard, takes, heavy, milk, leftover, rancid, rinse, pour, week, homemade, knead, folded

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Homemade Butter

Budget101 Guru
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Homemade Butter

I made my own butter last week and I would like to share it.

Add 1/2 cup of heavy cream in a mason jar (filled halfway). I used cold cream and a very cold marble. Add the marble to the cream and shake the jar. Don't shake very hard and this takes about 15-20 minutes. The butter will form as a light yellow ball in the jar. Shake some more to get out the buttermilk. Pour off the buttermilk and take out the butter and knead it under cold water to rinse off any leftover milk. This will keep the butter from getting rancid. I put the butter in a bowl and folded it with a spatula and rinsed until the water was clear.
    After kneading add some salt. I didn't want salted butter so I add enough to keep it from spoiling.

I got 1/2 cup of butter and !/2 cup of buttermilk. The butter is holding great in the fridge and I've used it in my cooking.
    I really hope you enjoy this. It's also get for kids. They can help with the shaking of the jar.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to lala72 For This Useful Post:

Creator & Designer of Budget101.com
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Homemade Butter

MMMM.. I love homemade butter and like you mentioned, it's alot of fun for the kids! Don't forget that the buttermilk makes excellent biscuits.. which in turn gives you something yummy to enjoy your butter with.
    ~Liss~
    Creator & Designer of
    www.Budget101.com
    www.GroceryBudget101.com
    Budget101 Forums
    KitchenMixGifts.Budget101.com

*Newbies*
    Forum How To Guide

**The happiest people are not those with the best or the most of everything, The happiest people know how to make the best of everything they have.**

Deal GURU
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

We usually buy our butter from the Amish in Ethridge Tn. But it's a pretty good drive for us, especially with the price of gas right now.
    I may have to try this just to see how it compares, plus have buttermilk too.

Deal GURU
    Downloads
    Uploads

If you want to make a bigger amount you can also make butter with a mixer (stand or hand) and in a food processor. Not as fun but it gets the job done. Salt is not necessary, unsalted or salted fresh butter usually will keep in the refrigerator for about 2 weeks. Hope this helps. Thanks; Virginia

Budget101 Guru
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by MrsPaws View Post
    We usually buy our butter from the Amish in Ethridge Tn. But it's a pretty good drive for us, especially with the price of gas right now.
    I may have to try this just to see how it compares, plus have buttermilk too.
    A 16 oz container of heavy cream/whipping cream at Walmart is $2.28. That's 2 cups of cream, so you could make about 2 cups of butter which is 1 pound and 2 cups of buttermilk. I think a pound of butter is around $2.50. Plus you get buttermilk for free. So if you use all the cream to make butter you'd be making butter for .57 per 1/2 cup. And you get some great arm exercise.

Budget101 Guru
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Virginia thank you for the tip on how to make a bigger batch. That will really come in handy during the holidays when I use a lot of butter.

Deal GURU
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Don't forget you can freeze butter.
    Every trip we've taken to the Amish netted around 8-10 lbs butter. I could never use that much before it would go bad, so I freeze it. Should be good for at least 6 months, but I've actually used it, with no ill effects, after 8. Just remember to date it when freezing.

Thanks both of you for the tips!

still digging' my way out
    Downloads
    Uploads

I freeze butter all the time and it keeps well.

If you want to stretch margarine there is a good recipe called Butter Out of Margarine (that should be close) at CD Kitchen.

Another good recipe for stretching margarine can be found in the More-With-Less Cookbook.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast