Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    M F

Default neutering our cat

I was wondering if neutering our cat changes their personality. Also is it a good idea to neuter them when they are in heat. And last one where is the least expensive place to take them. We are in Northern Illinois.

Melissa

Never miss a thing. Make Yahoo your homepage.

Herlean

We adopted our cat from a shelter. She had already been spayed. I know that it willl stop that "baying at the window/moon" moaning when they are horny. I don't know if it will change his personality. We are looking at adopting another shelter cat, but we have to find the funds to get the vet visits done first. People around here give them away all the time, but they have not been to a vet, had a single shot, etc. and that is important bringing a new animal into our home. Herlean

M F <milicaf35@yahoo.com> wrote: <DIV style="FONT-SIZE: 14pt;FONT-FAMILY: times new roman, new york, times, serif;"> I was wondering if neutering our cat changes their personality. Also is it a good idea to
    neuter them when they are in heat. And last one where is the least expensive place to take them. We are in Northern Illinois.

Melissa

&#32;

Katherine Lassiter

I have four cats, used to have 6, and neutering never changed their personalities. Of course, they were all done while they were very young, as soon as I could. I may be wrong, butI do not think it can be done while they are in heat. <FONT face="Comic Sans MS" size="3"> <FONT face="Comic Sans MS" size="3"> There is a spay/neuter van in my area that does it inexpensively. I was pleased with their services. Also, at certain times of the year,many vets here offer reduced rates for it. Call your local shelter, PetSmart, humane society...I am sure they have many options for you. It is VERY important to have it done. <FONT face="Comic Sans MS" size="3"> <FONT face="Comic Sans MS" size="3">Kathy/NC

M F <milicaf35@yahoo.com> wrote: <DIV style="FONT-SIZE: 14pt;FONT-FAMILY: times new roman, new york, times, serif;"> I was wondering if neutering our cat changes their personality. Also is it a good idea to neuter them when they are in heat. And last one where is the least expensive place to take them. We are in Northern Illinois.

Melissa

&#32;

lisa griffeth

OK- here goes... You only "neuter" male cats- with females, you "spay". A spay is usually more expensive than a neuter (it's much more invasive surgery). It is NOT a good idea to spay a female in heat- there is increased blood flow to the uterusand most Vets charge an extra fee for the additional risk (some won't do it then no matter what). Some Vets will want her to deliver kittens and let her milk dry upcompletely before a spay, if you suspect she is pregnant. Some Vets will go on and spay females once they go out of heat (pregnant included if it's early developmentally) and will remove the uterus and/or fetus/kittens. Most cats do well with the surgery and they will probably either stay one night at the Vets or go home at the end of the day of surgery. If you take her home the same day, they will want her to not climb, jump or generally take part in any "kitty Olympic"events- keep her calm,quiet and usually you don't feed them
    until the next morning. Breakfast (food after midnight) the day of the surgery is not fed- she needs to have an empty stomach so that she doesn't vomit and block her breathing tube while she is under anesthesia. Some humane societies offer reduced price spay/neuters. In GA we have a program that is thru the state that offers reduced pricing-you send them $$ and they send you a certificate to be redeemed at your Vets office. Some areas have mobile spay/neuter clinics that come thru the area every couple of months- you'll just have to see what is available in your area of the country. As far as attitude, it usually doesn't make a significant change with most female cats. With a male (neuter) if you wait until he's spraying in the house, most likely he will continue to spray after surgery- it's an established habit by that point and the neuterwill notstop a habit. I hope this helps some to clear up what to expect...be
    glad it's a cat and not a dog- their surgeries are more expensive usually, and cost is based on the animals weight. Lisa G.
    M F <milicaf35@yahoo.com> wrote: <DIV style="FONT-SIZE: 14pt;FONT-FAMILY: times new roman, new york, times, serif;"> I was wondering if neutering our cat changes their personality. Also is it a good idea to neuter them when they are in heat. And last one where is the least expensive place to take them. We are in Northern
    Illinois.

Melissa

&#32;

Jay Murphy

Our two cats became much more friendly and sociable.

Check with the local pound in your area for inexpensive places. (also the ASPCA, etc...)

Don&#39;t know about the Heat part though.

Jay

On Jan 26, 2008 7:06 AM, M F <milicaf35@yahoo.com> wrote:

I was wondering if neutering our cat changes their personality. Also is it a good idea to neuter them when they are in heat. And last one where is the least expensive place to take them. We are in Northern Illinois.

Melissa

[/quote]

--
    Make some MONEY and play games for free:

http://www..com/signupCode/twistedheartsranch

Lori

It does tend to calm a cat down and I think it makes female cats nicer, but you shouldn't see a radical change. Plus a cat in heat is horrible to live with so it's worth doing just for that reason if you ask me. Check with your local shelter or rescue group to see if there's any groups around that subsidize spaying. I know there are lots around. I used Spay, Inc. in Northern Virginia and only payed $20 each to have my regular vet spay my cats (although that was almost 20 years ago.) Lori.

M F <milicaf35@yahoo.com> wrote: <DIV style="FONT-SIZE: 14pt;FONT-FAMILY: times new roman, new york, times, serif;"> I was wondering if neutering our cat changes their personality. Also is it a good idea to neuter them when they are in heat. And last one where is the least expensive place to take them. We are in Northern Illinois.

Melissa

&#32;
    Be a better friend, newshound, and know-it-all with Yahoo! Mobile. [/url] "] Try it now.[/url]

Idodc@aol.com

Also friendsofanimals.org has discount spay/neuter certificates too...

Who's never won? Biggest Grammy Award surprises of all time on AOL Music.

inherowndominion@aol.com

Melissa,
    I'm in Northern Illinois as well, not sure how far north you are, but I know if you go to friendsofpets.org, there's a clinic in glen ellyn that will take the certificates. Hope this helps!

Who's never won? Biggest Grammy Award surprises of all time on AOL Music.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast