Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Vegetables Lo Mein

8 ounces dry spaghetti
    2 tbsp veggie or canola oil
    1 large onion-sliced
    2 cloves garlic-minced
    1 lb package of frozen stir-fry vegetables or 3-1/2 cups fresh chopped veggies (ie. broccoli, cauliflower, bell pepper strips, zucchini, squash, mushrooms, beans sprouts, etc...)
    2 tbsp soy sauce or Tamari
    1 tbsp sesame oil

1. Cook the spaghetti about 3/4 done. Drain and return to pot.
    2. Add sesame oil, and toss the spaghetti around until it is evenly coated.
    3. Next heat remaining oil in a large heavy bottomed skillet or wok. Add the onion and garlic. Sautè until the onion is tender and fragrant. Add the frozen stir-fry vegetables. Cook them very quickly over high heat until they are mostly thawed, about 3 minutes.
    4. Add the cooked spaghetti. Stir and let cook 5 more minutes. (Allow the pasta to brown some if possible.)
    5. Add the soy sauce as the mixture cooks during the last 5 minutes.

Serves 4

Note:
    Excellent way to use up some of the produce stored in the fridge.
    If there are left overs, enjoy it the next day for lunch...if it lasts that long.

What's a Budget?
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Vegetables Lo Mein

This looks really good and I have all the ingredients. Thinking dinner tonight! I have a question. Do you need to refrigerate tamari? I do NOT have mine refrigerated ( I do have the sesame oil refrigerated because someone told me it would go rancid). Just wondering if anyone knew.

Deal GURU
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

I keep -all- our condiments in the fridge.
    My bottle of tamari is 'Eden organic Tamari soy sauce' and I don't see anywhere on the bottle where it says to 'keep refrigerated after opening', but I do.
    I've also heard that sesame oil will go bad if not refrigerated. If you have Tahini, it needs to be refrigerated for the same reason.

What's a Budget?
    Downloads
    Uploads

Yep, have the tahini in the fridge. I didn't see keep refrigerated on the tamari, either, but I guess I'll pop it in there now, just in case. I have some braggs amino acids that I couldn't find keep refrigerated on, but I have that refrigerated, because it's too big a bottle to lose.

I made the vegetable lo mein tonight for dinner. While I was making it, my son said it's just like something else I made - and he wanted pineapple in it. Soooo.... I made a "concoction" which is what we call anything that I cook. I start out following a recipe and then start modifying. Sometimes with great results, more often than not, not so much. I did add some pineapple juice I thickened with cornstarch and a can of pineapple chunks. I also added fresh red/green peppers in addition to the bag of frozen. I made the entire box of spaghetti, which could have used 2 cans of pineapple juice, but other than that it was good. I now have enough leftovers for at least 6 more servings! lol Tomorrow I have to go get some macaroni and it's non-dairy macaroni and cheese!

Deal GURU
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

I like your tweeks...sounds good! I so understand about the 'concoction' thing. I tweek almost everything I cook.
    About the 'braggs amino acids...what is that and what's it used for? Taste and texture...???...AND does it contain MSG?

What's a Budget?
    Downloads
    Uploads

You can use in all kinds of cooking - and can be used as a soy sauce/tamari substitute. The ONLY ingredients listed on the label is vegetable protein from soybeans and purified water. With that said, it looks like soy sauce. I do pull it out when I'm making broth and squeeze some in - but don't use it that often. It was one of those ingredients that seemed to pop up quite often when I first went vegan. It does supply 16 amino acids. Guess I should probably use it more often <g>

Deal GURU
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Sounds pretty good. May look into that one.
    Usually if a product doesn't have MSG in it, it's stated on the label or when I'm in doubt, I'll look through the ingredient list on the label.
    MSG gives me migraines and a lot of upset tummy trouble so I try to avoid it when I can.