Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Budget101 Guru
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default My homemade face cream

Click image for larger version. 
<vb:if condition=
    Name: b101-plantain-sm.jpg  Views: 8440  Size: 64.5 KB  ID: 10838" class="align_right size_medium" />
    I make it from a plant that probably grows in or around your yard. Broad leaf plantain (Not the banana looking thing) is the one I use because it is abundant. You can use narrow leaf plantain also.
    Take a good amount of leaves and wash if really needed. Make sure you are getting plants free of pesticides and not picked from roadside. Simmer leaves in oil of choice ( I like coconut oil) for at least 4 hours over very low heat. I sometimes crock pot it for a couple days. Strain oil from leaves into containers and store in fridge.

Also, this makes a great skin remedy. Bug bites, scrapes,rashes etc. You use the same method but I like lard with this one. It's thicker.

Olive oil is good also. Again, store in fridge.

This remedy cured a rash that my husband had for months. Nothing touched it. I was out of our medicine. As soon as I could get my hands on it again I made more. Sure enough, in a couple of weeks it was gone.

Just thought I would share.

Can Stock Photo Inc. / sever180

Creator & Designer of Budget101.com
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: My homemade face cream

I used to LOVE to use plantain for bug bites when we were camping, just crush the leaves and apply. I haven't seen it all since we moved South. Between Plantain and Sweet Fern- we were all set if anything itchy got us. Sweetfern is actually a protected plant in this state. The last time we visited Maine, I picked a couple jar fulls and filled them with oil to decant.

I've made salves several times with plantain, but have never simmered it,only let the oils/ plant set for a couple weeks. I'll have to try it your way to see if it packs more punch, so to speak!

Thanks for sharing your recipe!
    ~Liss~
    Creator & Designer of
    www.Budget101.com
    www.GroceryBudget101.com
    Budget101 Forums
    KitchenMixGifts.Budget101.com

*Newbies*
    Forum How To Guide

**The happiest people are not those with the best or the most of everything, The happiest people know how to make the best of everything they have.**

Budget101 Guru
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

You are welcome. It smells...Um, earthy. But we love it. I will be checking into sweetfern myself.

What's a Budget?
    Downloads
    Uploads

great post!!!i love plantain!! i also use it for hurts and cuts and old wounds that just wont heal, also use it on all the animals! i even put it in some of my soaps!

Ground Level Lurker
    Downloads
    Uploads

I guess I don't know what broadleaf plantain is, never seen it or if I did, sure didn't know what it was. What does it look like and is it a wild plant? I'd love to try this special cream as I'm really getting into a lot of "homemade" remedies and recipes. Thanks for sharing this wonderful recipe. Now all I have to do is to "find" some I can get. ♥

What's a Budget?
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Does anyone have a recipe for a facial cleanser? Not so much cleansing cream. It does not need to be oily. I don't think we have plantain in TX, but I will find out. This is a very interesting post.

Ground Level Lurker
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks for this ... I am certainly going to give it a try

What's a Budget?
    Downloads
    Uploads

I don't know what a plantain leaf looks like either, any chance some one has a picture, is it like a banana leaf?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast