Side Dish Collard/Turnip Greens

Collard/Turnip Greens

1 large bunch (approx 64 oz) washed and prepared collard or Turnip greens 3 cup chicken stock 2 medium onions-diced 2 garlic cloves-minced/grated 1 tsp red pepper flakes s and p-to taste 2 pcs salt pork or ham fat *Optional* 1 tsp bacon grease *Optional* 1. Wash and cut greens.

Side Dish, greens, stock, large, bacon, salt, grease, tenderness, desired, health, cook, ingredients, conscious, omit, nutritious, flavorful, dish, pork/ham, additions, cloves-minced/grated, garlic, washed, pepper, onions-diced, medium, collard, chicken, prepared, bunch, flakes, approx, wash, collard/turnip, taste, p-to, pork, turnip

Deal GURU
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Collard/Turnip Greens

1 large bunch (approx 64 oz) washed and prepared collard or Turnip greens
    3 cup chicken stock
    2 medium onions-diced
    2 garlic cloves-minced/grated
    1 tsp red pepper flakes
    s and p-to taste
    2 pcs salt pork or ham fat *Optional*
    1 tsp bacon grease *Optional*

1. Wash and cut greens.
    2. Mix greens in large stock pot together with all other ingredients.
    3. Cook until desired tenderness.

*NOTE*
    For those more health conscious, omit the salt pork/ham fat and bacon grease.
    Without these additions, dish is nutritious, low fat, yet still flavorful.

Budget101 Guru
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Collard/Turnip Greens

I'm making this for Family not me cause I can't have the salt..here is what I have..will it come out right? I bought a bunch of Turnip Greens on sale 99Cents for 64 oz Turnip Greens at Kroger....I have just the Bacon Grease and Bacon {i do have a pork bone but using it in the Northern beans} I do have all your other ingredients but the ham..need help making this tomorrow night..DH and the kids want it..BTW do you have a recipe for fried potato bread and fried corn bread? I wanna try something different for some reason they don't like mine lol..so Many question I know..But this is what they asked for ..lol
    Born and Raised In Panama City,Florida...Now Living In Paducah, Kentucky

Deal GURU
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

The pork bone wouldn't really work well for the greens, and will be much better utilized for flavoring the beans. The ham fat is just for flavoring, but so is the bacon/bacon grease. If you don't have one, but have the other, that's fine. The greens will still be tasty.

I'm not familiar with fried potato bread... I've made potato cakes/fritter. I'll have to look into this one.

Fried cornbread is one of my Hubby's ultimate favorites!
    All I do is make up a thick cornbread batter,(cornmeal, tbsp flour, s and p, buttermilk, and a couple eggs). Season it however your family likes it best. Can add onions, jalapenos, or what not.
    Add oil, bacon grease, or butter to skillet, heat until oil ripples, then gently add batter as if you're making pancakes. Cook until golden brown, then flip and let brown. Remove and let excess oil drain on paper towels. Serve hot.

Here's another idea. If you have left over cornbread, either use it for cornbread salad, chicken and dressing, or what I call re-fried cornbread.
    Just take the left over cornbread, slice it in half horizontally, spread a little butter on it, then fry it up until it develops a thin crust. Pretty tasty, and no waste. A win win situation!

Budget101 Guru
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks.. gonna try the Fried cornbread and the leftover cornbread later on..
    Born and Raised In Panama City,Florida...Now Living In Paducah, Kentucky

Deal GURU
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

I found this recipe on Cooks.com for the fried potato bread.
    FRIED POTATO BREAD
    1 lb. potatoes
    1 pkg. dry yeast
    5 tbsp. warm milk
    1 tbsp. sugar
    1 tsp. salt
    4 c. flour
    5 eggs, separated
    2 tbsp. butter

Peel and grate potatoes. Pour off excess liquid. Combine yeast and warm milk, stir in sugar and set aside. Combine potatoes and salt in a mixing bowl. Gradually stir in flour and egg yolks. Add yeast mixture.
    Beat egg whites until stiff and fold into potato mixture. Cover and let rise until doubled. Punch down and place in a greased loaf pan. Allow to rise again. Bake at 325 degrees for 1 hour. Remove from pan. When cool, cut bread into 1 inch thick slices and fry in melted butter until golden.

Found another that's a bit different:

Fried Potato Bread Recipe

Ingredients

5 cups hot mashed potatoes (no milk, margarine or salt added)
    1/4 cup shortening
    2 tablespoons milk
    1 1/2 teaspoons salt
    2 cups all-purpose flour

Directions
    Beat mashed potatoes, shortening, milk and salt until no lumps remain.
    Cover and refrigerate until completely chilled, at least 4 hours.
    Turn potato mixture onto floured surface; knead in flour.
    Divide into 20 equal parts; shape each part into a ball.
    Shape each ball into a flattened round on heavily floured board.
    Roll each round as thin as possible into 10- to 12-inch circle with floured stockinet-covered rolling pin or lefse rolling pin.
    Lift dough occasionally with spatula to make sure it is not sticking, adding flour as needed.
    Heat ungreased griddle to 400.
    Cook until blisters form and brown spots appear on bottom, about 1 minute on each side.
    Stack between 2 towels to prevent drying.
    Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate no longer than 3 days or freeze no longer than 1 month.

I've never tried these so I haven't a clue what they taste like...but sounds promising.
    If you decide to try these, let me know how they turn out.