Deal Goddess
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Article: The Big Drought- How it Effects You . . .

Learn how to the drought is likely to effect you and your family- and how to counteract the rising costs associated with it

Read More: Article: The Big Drought- How it Effects You . . .
    ~Enjoy!~

FreebieQueen

Like Budget101 on Facebook!
    Join us on Twitter #Budget101

Smart Budgeter
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Grocery costs aren't really an issue for me because I tend to grow my own and all my neighbors are commercial growers. I get a lot of free. I dry, can, and freeze throughout the summer and fall months.

Beyond grocery costs hay is almost 3x what I was paying the year before. We only have 1.25 acres which is not enough to feed our mare year round so we end up supplementing. Here is what we do to maximize grazing and get hay on the cheap:

Our entire property is fenced and divided into 5 lots of .25 acres. We rotate the horse through each of these giving her 5 hours of grazing time a day. This is how long a horse needs each day. We poop scoop each lot daily to help with parasite control. Finally we water the lots overnight as necessary.

Beyond careful pasture management we use the barter system with local farmers. My husband and I can offer computer technical help and we happen to own a lot of heavy equipment. Half a day with a bulldozer can feed the horse all winter long.