Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Frugal Fast

Budget101 Guru
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Frugal Fast

I'm thinking of doing a frugal fast sometime this month. How many of you have done this before? I would like to see any comments. Thanks.

Deal GURU
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Frugal Fast

I'm not familiar with that term. What exactly is it and how is it frugal...I'm interested in ALL things frugal.

Budget101 Guru
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

A frugal fast is taking time off from spending extra money. It could be for a week or a month. If it's for a week you wouldn't spend any money at all except for bills. You live off what's in your fridge, freezer and pantry. It's a great time to use up items too. For a month you could set aside a budget of say $200 for the month to spend on groceries and gas. Any money left over can be used to pay down any debt. Again bills have to be paid and are not part of the budget for the month. I hope this clarifies the subject for you. I'm very interested in all things frugal too.

Deal GURU
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hhhmmmm...I like this 'frugal fast' idea...thanks for letting me know what it is. May have to work on this.

Creator & Designer of Budget101.com
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

We do this every few weeks, particularly if I notice that the kids are getting Tired of fresh fruits and veggies. We tend to include salad with every lunch/dinner meal and after a few weeks, they start to.. ignore the salad. So I don't buy ANY fruits and veggies for that week and they have to eat what's in the pantry/freezer.
    It works great for using up stored items, home-canned foods, etc and by next week, they'll be more than ready to dive back into the salad bowl or grab some fresh fruit for snacking.
    Oh, and then there's the fact that it saves me from grocery shopping for the week
    ~Liss~
    Creator & Designer of
    www.Budget101.com
    www.GroceryBudget101.com
    Budget101 Forums
    KitchenMixGifts.Budget101.com

*Newbies*
    Forum How To Guide

**The happiest people are not those with the best or the most of everything, The happiest people know how to make the best of everything they have.**

Smart Budgeter
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

We do this too but we call it our Cheap Week. We pick at least 1 week out of the month where we don't buy anything at all and we use up all leftover food etc. I always seem to find opened packages of crackers in the cupboard or bags of stale chips. I turn these into casseroles or coatings for baked fish or chops by adding a few seasonigns.
    (`v)
    `..
    ..) .)
    (. (. (.`Kimmie

What's a Budget?
    Downloads
    Uploads

I love this!!! I feel like I do this already. I have a set budget where since I stay at home my husband gives me 250.00 every two weeks this is for gas, food, my own savings, kids allowance, pet food, my pharmacy, and coffee. ( I like coffee) I am on week 5 and I have saved money!!! If anyone is interested in how the budget is broke down I would love to share this! I keep all receipts and use the envolope system ------Jill

Budget101 Guru
    Downloads
    Uploads

I need to try this. This might be just what I need. Granted, we are still trying to lower our food budget all while our family is growing but I think we can make this work. We are horrible at getting extras that are not on the list or me....going to the cafeteria at work. I am the worst spender. I will admit that. My shopping habits have gotten worse over the years. I used to never like going shopping and now its weird. At least I haven't gotten my sister's shoe addiction...although it might happen in the future. I just want to be able to save up money for a down payment on a house. This frugal fasting just might do the trick. We need to save money and improve our credit (namely, mine).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast