Ground Level Lurker
    Downloads
    Uploads

Piggy Hi ! I need some budgeting help :)

Hello all,
    My name is Elizabeth and I stumbled across this site and I really hope that it does live up to it's name. Because, I am in depserate need of some budgeting help !
    It all started last March, my husband suffered a massive heart attack. His second, sadly this time his heart sufferd real damage that warrented him having triple bypass and then the implantation of an ICD to not only help regulate the beating of his heart but protect him in the event of another heart attack. Under doctor's advice we began the process of filing for Social Security Disability. Neither of us were prepaired for the lenght of time it would take for his approval. Hubby is 55 and has worked 30 plus years. What savings we did have has been eaten up with medical care and medications. We have been living on my salary of $1528.00 monthly. I am the care provider to my eldery parents. My concern is that we recently found out that my salary will be cut, I do not know that amount yet. We have been working with a mortage counsler to aid with the house payment,signed up a discount on our electric bill and cut our cable. I guess I wonder if there are any other suggestions as to ways I can save. Currenlty, we spend right around $300.00 on groceries every two weeks (my parents pay one time and we pay the next) I know that sounds like alot but this includes 3 meals a day with snacks and desserts.
    I would apprecitate any suggestions

Blessings
    Elizabeth

Creator & Designer of Budget101.com
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Hi ! I need some budgeting help :)

Quote Originally Posted by kek5772 View Post
    Hello all,
    My name is Elizabeth and I stumbled across this site and I really hope that it does live up to it's name. Because, I am in depserate need of some budgeting help !
    Welcome to the site Elizabeth, it's nice to meet you!

It all started last March, my husband suffered a massive heart attack. His second, sadly this time his heart sufferd real damage that warrented him having triple bypass and then the implantation of an ICD to not only help regulate the beating of his heart but protect him in the event of another heart attack.
    Wow, so sorry to hear of your husbands illness, a heart attack is very sudden & extremely scary for all involved.

Under doctor's advice we began the process of filing for Social Security Disability. Neither of us were prepaired for the lenght of time it would take for his approval. Hubby is 55 and has worked 30 plus years. What savings we did have has been eaten up with medical care and medications.
    I didn't realize that it took a long time to obtain SS Disability either, I thought it was a quick process.

We have been living on my salary of $1528.00 monthly. I am the care provider to my eldery parents. My concern is that we recently found out that my salary will be cut, I do not know that amount yet. We have been working with a mortage counsler to aid with the house payment,signed up a discount on our electric bill and cut our cable. I guess I wonder if there are any other suggestions as to ways I can save.
    Well, it sounds as though you're already living on a small amount and making the best of it, but lets see if we can find a few additional ways to increase your savings.

How is your electric bill looking? Are you running Air conditioning now in your area (or is it cool enough on it's own) alternatively, are you still needing to run heat?

Do you do a lot of laundry (run the dryer daily or every other day)?

Reduce your phone expenses- drop caller waiting/caller id, call forwarding, etc

Currenlty, we spend right around $300.00 on groceries every two weeks (my parents pay one time and we pay the next) I know that sounds like alot but this includes 3 meals a day with snacks and desserts.
    I would apprecitate any suggestions
    There are a number of things you can do, but first we need just a little more information. What areas do you spend the most money? You mentioned that you spend $300 every 2 weeks- when you look at the receipt, what is the majority of the expense on it- soda/chips/snacks? Meat? Fruits? Veggies? Convenience/Prepared Foods?
    ~Liss~
    Creator & Designer of
    www.Budget101.com
    www.GroceryBudget101.com
    Budget101 Forums
    KitchenMixGifts.Budget101.com

*Newbies*
    Forum How To Guide

**The happiest people are not those with the best or the most of everything, The happiest people know how to make the best of everything they have.**

What's a Budget?
    Downloads
    Uploads

One suggestion that you might check into. Angel Food Ministries. They might have this close to you, but if you do, think about taking advantage of it. It really can lower your food bill.

Deal GURU
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hello kek5772 and welcome! If you're looking for grocery budgeting tips, take a look at the $50 menus on here. They're pretty informative and show many ways to bring grocery bills down...I know I've picked up lots of info from them, and have seen the results.

Ground Level Lurker
    Downloads
    Uploads

Angel Food Ministries have gone bankrupt. As far as I know, there are no other agencies replacing them.
    AppleCat from OK
    "Do Not Meddle In the Affairs of Dragons for
    You are Crunchy & Good with Ketchup."

Deal GURU
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Not that I'm aware of either. Maybe someone will soon..

Ground Level Lurker
    Downloads
    Uploads

You said that you pay $300 every two week for groceries and parents pay the same the other two weeks? How many are you feeding and are there any special diet concerns?
    ~ Tracy Lammons, Hot Springs, AR