giftjars

<div style="font-family:arial, helvetica, sans-serif;font-size:12pt;">hi my name is Glenda i an look for a recipes for giftjars to make for gift __________________________________________________

ame, chocolate, family, font, free, gif, giftjars, how to, jar, jars, mail, make, pro, protection, recipes, size, spam, style, url, yahoo, tired, http://mail.yahoo.com, glenda, gift

Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: giftjars

  1. #1
    Glenda Miles
    Guest

    Default giftjars

    <div style="font-family:arial, helvetica, sans-serif;font-size:12pt;">hi my name is Glenda i an look for a recipes for giftjars to make for gift
    __________________________________________________





  2. #2
    Liss
    Guest

    Default giftjars


    <SPAN class="500305721-10112007">>>hi my name is Glenda i an look for a recipes for giftjars to make for gift<<
    <SPAN class="500305721-10112007">
    <SPAN class="500305721-10112007">
    <SPAN class="500305721-10112007">Hi there, you have definetely come to the right place... we have over 1,000 mix recipes on our site in various categories that you can use for gift giving.
    <SPAN class="500305721-10112007">
    <SPAN class="500305721-10112007">Here are some Presentation ideas on how to Package and Present your Jar Gifts: http://budget101.com/jargifts.htm
    <SPAN class="500305721-10112007">
    <SPAN class="500305721-10112007">(Html) if you can't see the links please visit the Homepage of www.budget101.com for mix recipes in various categories<SPAN class="500305721-10112007">
    <LI>Beverage Mixes
    <UL>
    <LI>Assorted Drink Mixes
    <LI>Coffee/ Cappuccino Mixes
    <LI>Cocoa/Hot Chocolate Mixes
    <LI>Creamer Mixes
    <LI>Tea Mixes </LI>[/list]
    <LI>Bread Mixes
    <LI>Breakfast Mixes
    <LI>Cake Mixes
    <LI>Condiments
    <LI>Cone Mixes
    <LI>Convenience Mixes<SPAN class="500305721-10112007"> -
    <LI>Cookie & Bar Mixes
    <LI>Dips & Dressing Mixes
    <LI>Diabetic Mixes
    <LI>Dehydrated/ Dried Food Mixes
    <LI>Easy Bake Oven Mixes
    <LI>Gift Basket Meal Mixes
    <LI>Gluten Free Mixes
    <LI>Jar Gift Mixes
    <LI>Muffin Mixes
    <LI>Mug & Cup Mixes
    <LI>Popcorn Mixes
    <LI>Pudding Mixes
    <LI>Sauce Mixes
    <LI>Seasoning Mixes
    <LI>Side Dish Mixes
    <LI>Soup Mixes</LI>

    <SPAN class="500305721-10112007">Single Mixes- these are generally 1 serving mixes along with adorable (free) printables you can use for gifts http://www.kitchenmixgifts.com/SingleMixes.htm
    <SPAN class="500305721-10112007">

    <SPAN class="500305721-10112007">Maybe you'd like to make some funny Gag Gifts: http://budget101.com/gaggifts.htm
    <SPAN class="500305721-10112007">
    <SPAN class="500305721-10112007">Gift Wrap Ideas: http://www.budget101.com/recipes/id595.htm
    <SPAN class="500305721-10112007">
    <SPAN class="500305721-10112007">You'll find a never ending supply of Jar Gift ideas on our site, don't forget to check out the Cone Mixes too!<SPAN class="500305721-10112007">



  3. #3
    Terry Harmatys
    Guest

    Default giftjars

    >From: Liss <liss@budget101.com>

    >Date: 2007/11/10 Sat PM 04:05:03 CST

    >To: Budget101_@yahoogroups.com

    >Subject: RE: Budget101.com : giftjars



    Hi, my name is Terry, and I was wondering how soon you could start making these

    jar gifts for christmas? I am so excited about these, but I don't want to start

    to soon...I didn't know if these would keep until christmas if made now, or

    what?





    >

    >>>hi my name is Glendaテつ i an look forテつ a recipes for giftjars to make for

    gift<<テつテつHi there, you have definetely come to the right place... we have

    over 1,000 mix recipes on our site in various categories that you can use for

    gift giving.テつHere are some Presentation ideas on how to Package and Present

    your Jar Gifts: http://budget101.com/jargifts.htmテつ(Html) if you can't see the

    links please visit the Homepage of www.budget101.com for mix recipes in various

    categoriesBeverage Mixes Assorted Drink Mixes Coffee/ Cappuccino Mixes

    Cocoa/Hot Chocolate Mixes Creamer Mixes Tea Mixes Bread Mixes Breakfast

    Mixes Cake Mixes Condiments Cone Mixes Convenience Mixesテつ -Cookie & Bar Mixes

    Dips & Dressing Mixes Diabetic Mixes Dehydrated/ Dried Food Mixes Easy Bake Oven

    Mixes Gift Basket Meal Mixes Gluten Free Mixes Jar Gift Mixes Muffin Mixes Mug &

    Cup Mixes Popcorn Mixes Pudding Mixes Sauce Mixes Seasoning Mixes Side Dish

    Mixes Soup MixesテつSingle Mixes- these are generally 1 serving mixes along with

    adorable (free) printables you can use for gifts

    http://www.kitchenmixgifts.com/SingleMixes.htmテつMaybe you'd like to make some

    funny Gag Gifts: http://budget101.com/gaggifts.htmテつGift Wrap Ideas:

    http://www.budget101.com/recipes/id595.htmテつYou'll find a never ending supply

    of Jar Gift ideas on our site, don't forget to check out the Cone Mixes too!








  4. #4
    Rachel L
    Guest

    Default giftjars

    I have a number of baby food jars (about 14) along with some plastic containers that baby food come in (nice small ones with lids). Any suggestions for using them? I know I can use them for small storage or paints... but looking for some other uses or crafts I can do with them. Thanks in advance!

    ~Rachel~

    &#32;
    Be a better pen pal. Text or chat with friends inside Yahoo! Mail. See how.



  5. #5
    Kelly
    Guest

    Default giftjars

    --- In Budget101_@yahoogroups.com, Rachel L

    <the_lighthouse_academy@...> wrote:

    >

    > I have a number of baby food jars (about 14) along with some

    plastic containers that baby food come in (nice small ones with

    lids). Any suggestions for using them? I know I can use them for

    small storage or paints... but looking for some other uses or crafts

    I can do with them.

    >

    > Thanks in advance!

    >

    > ~Rachel~

    >

    >

    > ---------------------------------

    > Be a better pen pal. Text or chat with friends inside Yahoo! Mail.

    See how.

    >

    I hope this helps you out with the baby food jars.



    20 uses for baby food jars



    If you're like me, you hate to throw out anything that might be even

    remotely useful (thank you mom!). Here a few ideas to get you started

    using all those baby food jars. I'm sure I'm not the only one with a

    cupboard full!



    -Fill with dried herbs or potpourri. Cover the top with mesh and hold

    in place with an elastic. These are great for putting in drawers or

    closets!

    -Great for storing buttons, nails, screws or beads.

    -Fill with salad dressing for lunches.

    -Fill halfway with water with a few drops of food colouring, fill the

    rest of the way with baby oil and add a few sparkles if you want.

    This amazes kids!

    -Good for storing spices, herbs, teas.

    -Paint them and make a candle holder! Paint them, or glue beads and

    sparkles on the outside.

    -Punch holes in the top. Instant house for a bug or other critter!

    Kids can look at them and learn, without hurting their new friends.

    -Punch holes in the top and fill with cornstarch or powder for baby's

    bum.

    -Use for storing homemade baby food or leftovers.

    -Good for holding finger paints and glues!

    -Or touch up paint for your walls and furniture.

    -Small mitten or sock drier. Just place the mitten or sock over the

    jar and stand it up on the radiator!

    -Make a small sewing kit to keep in your car, diaper bag, purse, or

    in a drawer at the office.

    -Paint the lid or cross stitch a cover with the words "first tooth"

    or "first haircut" on it. Makes a great keep sake.

    -Fill with shampoo, face cream, body wash, etc for use when

    traveling. No more burst bottles filling your suit case with goop!

    -Paint for the holidays! You can make a Santa, Jack-o'-lantern or

    Easter basket!

    -Use for starting seedlings indoors.

    -Keep on your desk to hold excess paper clips, push pins and

    elastics.

    -Make into a musical instrument. Just put some coins, rice or beans

    in them. Glue the lid on!

    -Layer different colours of sand for a really cute decoration or

    gift.

    Have fun and be creative!

    ------------------------------------------

    Things you can do with baby food jars

    Don't throw away your old baby food jars. Try some of these ideas to

    recycle or re-use them.



    Christmas Tree Centerpiece



    CANDLE HOLDER IDEAS:

    Hanging Candle Holders w/ Copper Wire

    Starch & Tissue Paper

    Raffia Bow - Especially the little Earth's Best labeled jars.

    Fill with a tea light or candle wax and wic. Wrap a raffia/other bow

    around the rim. Give as gifts or use as place setting decorations.

    Adorable!



    Fish in a Jar - Paint one half of the jar blue so that if you were

    looking at the front of the jar all you would see is the blue from

    the other side. Cut out a fish shape and decorate as you wish. Then

    poke a hole in the top of the lid and through the back of the top of

    the fish. Put a piece of fishing line through the fish and back up to

    the lid. Make sure it isn't touching the bottom of the jar. Tape the

    line to the top and you have an adorable fish in a jar.



    Envelope and Stamp Licker - Take a baby food jar. Cover with

    wallpaper to match office or work area. Glue a peice of sponge inside

    of lid, Fill with water. Cover lid with material to match and go

    around the edges with ribbon. Works great. Makes a great kids gift to

    give to working parents or Grandparents.



    Silly Christmas gifts



    Homemade Gel Air Fresheners (PLATINUM craft)



    Make a hanging "bitty thing" organizer - Nail several jar lids onto a

    2x4. Nail the 2x4 to the bottom of a shelf over your craft bench.

    Fill the jars with nails, pins, bitty things you have lying around

    and screw them onto their lids.



    Use for paints and powders - Especially nice when mixing unique

    colors.



    Teddy bear gift jar - Tear up a small teddy bear - the baby food jar

    will become his belly, so keep the arms, legs and head intact. Glue

    the parts on the jar and fill with M&M's.



    Store spices - Especially great when mixing your own - be sure to

    label the jars!



    Sewing storage - Separate buttons by color or size and store each in

    their own jar. Great for storing other small things - safety pins,

    straight pins, snaps, etc.



    Snow globes - Glue a small object to the inside of the lid - a

    plastic figurine, f, etc. Add glitter, beads, or foil confetti, etc.

    Fill the jar with equal parts water and corn syrup, add food coloring

    if desired. Seal the lid onto the jar using a watertight sealant -

    the kind used for aquariums, or the stuff found in the plumbing

    section of your hardware store. Put a bead of sealant on the threads

    of the jar and on the inside threads of the lid. Close it up, leave

    overnight to dry. Kids love this!



    Seed storage - Good way to save seeds from the fs in your garden. Add

    a label (with a picture of the f).



    Gift ideas - Decorate the jars and lids: Paint with PermEnamel

    paints, cover with fabric, attach wooden shapes to the lids, make

    clay decorations for the lids. Fill with gift items: bath salts,

    homemade coffee/tea mixtures, potpourri, small candy, etc.

    ---------------------------------

    My dad would use these in his garage for screws, nails, washers, etc.

    Many small items could be sorted this way and he could always see

    exactly what he had. If they were different sized he just marked the

    jar accordingly. He would secure the cover onto a piece of board, and

    screw the bottle on and off of the cover. I am sure this could be

    used for kitchen spices, sewing items, or any kind of small craft

    items. We have used them for making "sand paint". It's easy to shake

    up the ingredients, and then it can be immediately stored after use.



    Many kindergarten, preschools and day care centers like to get things

    like baby food jars. They sometimes use them to make projects to send

    home, like planters for Mothers Day etc. Also baby food jars are

    great for storing paper clips, rubber bands, etc. And finally they

    are very useful for potting herbs.



    She could donate half of her un-needed jars to a local girl scout

    troop. They are always looking for that size jar for gifts and

    crafts. Or offer them at church. Homeschoolers use them for art,

    science and crafts.



    Very clever organizers can be made from baby food jars and some spare

    wood. A frimnd nailed the lids to a brick-sized block of wood

    (inside of lids face out so you can attach the jar!), and then

    mounted the block of wood to the side of his workbench, in such a way

    that it could be rotated (looks like wooden paper towel holder). He

    then filled the jars with various nuts n' bolts and securely twisted

    the jars back onto their lids, and just rotated the block until the

    jar he needed to open was on the bottom.. unscrew the jar, use what

    you need, and replace the jar on the rotating organizer. You can also

    nail the lids to a board mounted under a cabinet, so that they hang

    down like "space saver" appliances. I use them for storing beads and

    other small craft supplies, but they also make good containers for

    mixed paint colors, bug homes (poke small holes in the lid!),

    jewelry, paperclips, whatever! You can't open a drawer in my house

    without finding something being stored in a baby food jar



    Have old candles around that didn't melt down right, or maybe are

    just past their use life? Well I have made plenty of home-made

    candles in these little jars, and its easy!! You can buy wick at any

    craft store. You'll need it, little metal washers (in the hardware

    dept) to tie them to for weight, and you'll need toothpicks.



    Melt your old candles down (remove any excess wicking or debris from

    the wax), or you can melt regular paraffin and color it with

    crayons. I add a drop or three of aroma therapy scented oils that

    appeal, while the wax is melting. Set the jars up before hand on a

    old cookie sheet. To do this, measure a section of wick to be about

    twice the height of the jar. Tie one end to a washer ring, and

    measure how long it will need to be to reach the top of the jar. Tie

    the other end around a toothpick, and suspend the wick in the jar

    using the toothpick to keep it from falling in completely (like a

    bridge over the top of the jar). Ladle or pour the melted wax SLOWLY

    into the jar, making effort to keep the wick as straight as possible -

    it will hang good anyway because of the weight. Fill to where the

    jar just starts to crest inward toward the top. Allow to sit and

    fully harden. You can do this with different colors too if you don't

    mind more than one melting session or have a good supply of wax

    melting pans (I have one dedicated to this and other non-food uses).

    If you want layers of color, just fill the jar part way with the

    first color, and when its set, fill with the next one. Cut the

    toothpick off, leaving about 2 inch wick above the wax.



    You can just screw the lid on and you're done, OR you can take

    another minute, and cut a circle of fabric, about 1ク inches larger in

    diameter than the lid for the jar. I cut it out with pinking shears

    for a finished edge. Brush a little glue (hot glue works well, but

    Elmer's will do) on the center of the piece, and set the top of the

    jar upside-down on it centered. Allow to dry some. To finish off,

    use a section of narrow ribbon, or whatever you have, to wrap around

    the sides of the lid, securing the fabric around the top of the lid.

    I have gone as far as to make little stickers that fir the round lid

    top, like you would for jellies, or whatever. These make great last

    minute gifts, thank-you gifts, decorations at a less formal wedding

    or other gathering, or they're just nice to put on the edge of the

    tub next time you have a bath. I use a fairly large stock pot when I

    do this (and still have neighbors saving their jars for me), so I

    make maybe 25-30 at a time. The grocery store has boxes (that the

    baby food comes in), which are perfect for storing any over runs you

    have.



    Here is an idea for those baby food jars. A friend of mine recently

    had a birthday party for her son, the theme was Winnie The Pooh. She

    decorated several baby food jars as honey combs using construction

    paper, glue, and markers. She also put gold chocolate kisses inside

    the jars and glued a bumble bee on top of the lids. They were then

    passed out to all the kids at the party in place of a candy bag.



    I have a suggestion, my mom makes Christmas trees out of them. One

    string of lights strung through them, garland in the bottom of the

    jars, and any other decorations you may want. Hot glue the jars

    together in a triangle shape. Beats throwing them away!



    Turn the jar upside down to make a snow globe. Unscrew the top (which

    becomes the bottom and glue to it any seasonal item (little pumpkins

    for fall, little flag for 4th of July, etc). Add some glitter and

    then fill with water. Close it tightly and flip over so the top

    becomes the base. You can even hot glue it closed to ensure no

    leaking. Trim the bottom with ribbons or lace if desired. Makes a

    great kid's craft for friends, teachers, and grandparents!!!



    Put a spice label on each one and put your spices in the jars. Nail

    the lids in a row up underneath a cupboard and then screw the jars

    into the lids. You now have a hanging spice "rack". When you want to

    use a spice, just unscrew the jar, take out what you want, and screw

    the jar back up. Try to put the jars under a cupboard that isn't hit

    by direct sunlight, as this is not good for the spices.



    Invest in some potpourri oil and soak some cotton balls in the oil.

    Place the balls (some soaked in oil and a couple that have not been)

    in the jars, place the lid on (poke some holes in it) the jar, and

    hide behind things in your home. A nice way to fragrance any room and

    can the scent can keep being added as it diminishes.



    I had a lot of them and put a small hole in the top and then put a

    spool of thread in the jar and fed the thread out through the hole.

    I was then able to pull as much thread as needed from the jar. This

    keeps the thread neat and does not get tangled. It is very

    convenient.





    Kelly in IL












  6. #6
    shelleereneejackson
    Guest

    Default giftjars

    I use the jars for carrying salad dressing and condiments to work for

    lunch.



    I am currently collecting jars to make a magnetic spice rack. The

    racks sell in stores for $40 or more for 10 -12 small cannisters that

    magnetically attach to a metal plate attached to the wall. I used two

    large sheet magnets and glued them vinyl side to each other. One side

    attaches to the refrigerator (freezer door or side of fridge if

    exposed)and the other side is free to attach the baby food jars full

    of spices. The metal lid clings to the magnet and the clear jar allows

    me to see my spices. I printed out small circular labels with the name

    of the spice and adhere it to the bottom, which is clearly visible

    when attached to the magnet. I also used permanent marker to write on

    the lid the name of the spice. The magnet on the fridge can also hold

    metal measuring spoons.



    I use the plastic baby food containers to hold pins, needle, snaps,

    and buttons that I use for sewing.



    You could make snow globes out of the jars.



    You can make seeding pots for your garden using the plastic ones with

    holes poked in the bottom.








  7. #7
    Diane Gesicki
    Guest

    Default giftjars

    I have used the plastic ones to store bulk herbs in. I have a label maker and mark the container and store in my cabinet or freezer. Works great!

    Kelly <feelmykissesnow@yahoo.com> wrote: --- In Budget101_@yahoogroups.com, Rachel L
    <the_lighthouse_academy@...> wrote:
    >
    > I have a number of baby food jars (about 14) along with some
    plastic containers that baby food come in (nice small ones with
    lids). Any suggestions for using them? I know I can use
    them for
    small storage or paints... but looking for some other uses or crafts
    I can do with them.
    >
    > Thanks in advance!
    >
    > ~Rachel~
    >
    >
    > ---------------------------------
    > Be a better pen pal. Text or chat with friends inside Yahoo! Mail.
    See how.
    >
    I hope this helps you out with the baby food jars.

    20 uses for baby food jars

    If you're like me, you hate to throw out anything that might be even
    remotely useful (thank you mom!). Here a few ideas to get you started
    using all those baby food jars. I'm sure I'm not the only one with a
    cupboard full!

    -Fill with dried herbs or potpourri. Cover the top with mesh and hold
    in place with an elastic. These are great for putting in drawers or
    closets!
    -Great for storing buttons, nails, screws or beads.
    -Fill with salad dressing for lunches.
    -Fill halfway with water with a few drops of food
    colouring, fill the
    rest of the way with baby oil and add a few sparkles if you want.
    This amazes kids!
    -Good for storing spices, herbs, teas.
    -Paint them and make a candle holder! Paint them, or glue beads and
    sparkles on the outside.
    -Punch holes in the top. Instant house for a bug or other critter!
    Kids can look at them and learn, without hurting their new friends.
    -Punch holes in the top and fill with cornstarch or powder for baby's
    bum.
    -Use for storing homemade baby food or leftovers.
    -Good for holding finger paints and glues!
    -Or touch up paint for your walls and furniture.
    -Small mitten or sock drier. Just place the mitten or sock over the
    jar and stand it up on the radiator!
    -Make a small sewing kit to keep in your car, diaper bag, purse, or
    in a drawer at the office.
    -Paint the lid or cross stitch a cover with the words "first tooth"
    or "first haircut" on it. Makes a great keep sake.

    -Fill with shampoo, face cream, body wash, etc for use when
    traveling. No more burst bottles filling your suit case with goop!
    -Paint for the holidays! You can make a Santa, Jack-o'-lantern or
    Easter basket!
    -Use for starting seedlings indoors.
    -Keep on your desk to hold excess paper clips, push pins and
    elastics.
    -Make into a musical instrument. Just put some coins, rice or beans
    in them. Glue the lid on!
    -Layer different colours of sand for a really cute decoration or
    gift.
    Have fun and be creative!
    ------------------------------------------
    Things you can do with baby food jars
    Don't throw away your old baby food jars. Try some of these ideas to
    recycle or re-use them.

    Christmas Tree Centerpiece

    CANDLE HOLDER IDEAS:
    Hanging Candle Holders w/ Copper Wire
    Starch & Tissue Paper
    Raffia Bow - Especially the little Earth's Best labeled jars.
    Fill with a tea light
    or candle wax and wic. Wrap a raffia/other bow
    around the rim. Give as gifts or use as place setting decorations.
    Adorable!

    Fish in a Jar - Paint one half of the jar blue so that if you were
    looking at the front of the jar all you would see is the blue from
    the other side. Cut out a fish shape and decorate as you wish. Then
    poke a hole in the top of the lid and through the back of the top of
    the fish. Put a piece of fishing line through the fish and back up to
    the lid. Make sure it isn't touching the bottom of the jar. Tape the
    line to the top and you have an adorable fish in a jar.

    Envelope and Stamp Licker - Take a baby food jar. Cover with
    wallpaper to match office or work area. Glue a peice of sponge inside
    of lid, Fill with water. Cover lid with material to match and go
    around the edges with ribbon. Works great. Makes a great kids gift to
    give to working parents or Grandparents.

    Silly Christmas
    gifts

    Homemade Gel Air Fresheners (PLATINUM craft)

    Make a hanging "bitty thing" organizer - Nail several jar lids onto a
    2x4. Nail the 2x4 to the bottom of a shelf over your craft bench.
    Fill the jars with nails, pins, bitty things you have lying around
    and screw them onto their lids.

    Use for paints and powders - Especially nice when mixing unique
    colors.

    Teddy bear gift jar - Tear up a small teddy bear - the baby food jar
    will become his belly, so keep the arms, legs and head intact. Glue
    the parts on the jar and fill with M&M's.

    Store spices - Especially great when mixing your own - be sure to
    label the jars!

    Sewing storage - Separate buttons by color or size and store each in
    their own jar. Great for storing other small things - safety pins,
    straight pins, snaps, etc.

    Snow globes - Glue a small object to the inside of the lid - a
    plastic figurine, f, etc. Add glitter,
    beads, or foil confetti, etc.
    Fill the jar with equal parts water and corn syrup, add food coloring
    if desired. Seal the lid onto the jar using a watertight sealant -
    the kind used for aquariums, or the stuff found in the plumbing
    section of your hardware store. Put a bead of sealant on the threads
    of the jar and on the inside threads of the lid. Close it up, leave
    overnight to dry. Kids love this!

    Seed storage - Good way to save seeds from the fs in your garden. Add
    a label (with a picture of the f).

    Gift ideas - Decorate the jars and lids: Paint with PermEnamel
    paints, cover with fabric, attach wooden shapes to the lids, make
    clay decorations for the lids. Fill with gift items: bath salts,
    homemade coffee/tea mixtures, potpourri, small candy, etc.
    ---------------------------------
    My dad would use these in his garage for screws, nails, washers, etc.
    Many small items could be sorted this way
    and he could always see
    exactly what he had. If they were different sized he just marked the
    jar accordingly. He would secure the cover onto a piece of board, and
    screw the bottle on and off of the cover. I am sure this could be
    used for kitchen spices, sewing items, or any kind of small craft
    items. We have used them for making "sand paint". It's easy to shake
    up the ingredients, and then it can be immediately stored after use.

    Many kindergarten, preschools and day care centers like to get things
    like baby food jars. They sometimes use them to make projects to send
    home, like planters for Mothers Day etc. Also baby food jars are
    great for storing paper clips, rubber bands, etc. And finally they
    are very useful for potting herbs.

    She could donate half of her un-needed jars to a local girl scout
    troop. They are always looking for that size jar for gifts and
    crafts. Or offer them at church. Homeschoolers use them
    for art,
    science and crafts.

    Very clever organizers can be made from baby food jars and some spare
    wood. A frimnd nailed the lids to a brick-sized block of wood
    (inside of lids face out so you can attach the jar!), and then
    mounted the block of wood to the side of his workbench, in such a way
    that it could be rotated (looks like wooden paper towel holder). He
    then filled the jars with various nuts n' bolts and securely twisted
    the jars back onto their lids, and just rotated the block until the
    jar he needed to open was on the bottom.. unscrew the jar, use what
    you need, and replace the jar on the rotating organizer. You can also
    nail the lids to a board mounted under a cabinet, so that they hang
    down like "space saver" appliances. I use them for storing beads and
    other small craft supplies, but they also make good containers for
    mixed paint colors, bug homes (poke small holes in the lid!),
    jewelry, paperclips,
    whatever! You can't open a drawer in my house
    without finding something being stored in a baby food jar

    Have old candles around that didn't melt down right, or maybe are
    just past their use life? Well I have made plenty of home-made
    candles in these little jars, and its easy!! You can buy wick at any
    craft store. You'll need it, little metal washers (in the hardware
    dept) to tie them to for weight, and you'll need toothpicks.

    Melt your old candles down (remove any excess wicking or debris from
    the wax), or you can melt regular paraffin and color it with
    crayons. I add a drop or three of aroma therapy scented oils that
    appeal, while the wax is melting. Set the jars up before hand on a
    old cookie sheet. To do this, measure a section of wick to be about
    twice the height of the jar. Tie one end to a washer ring, and
    measure how long it will need to be to reach the top of the jar. Tie
    the other end around a
    toothpick, and suspend the wick in the jar
    using the toothpick to keep it from falling in completely (like a
    bridge over the top of the jar). Ladle or pour the melted wax SLOWLY
    into the jar, making effort to keep the wick as straight as possible -
    it will hang good anyway because of the weight. Fill to where the
    jar just starts to crest inward toward the top. Allow to sit and
    fully harden. You can do this with different colors too if you don't
    mind more than one melting session or have a good supply of wax
    melting pans (I have one dedicated to this and other non-food uses).
    If you want layers of color, just fill the jar part way with the
    first color, and when its set, fill with the next one. Cut the
    toothpick off, leaving about 2 inch wick above the wax.

    You can just screw the lid on and you're done, OR you can take
    another minute, and cut a circle of fabric, about 1ク inches larger in
    diameter than the lid for the
    jar. I cut it out with pinking shears
    for a finished edge. Brush a little glue (hot glue works well, but
    Elmer's will do) on the center of the piece, and set the top of the
    jar upside-down on it centered. Allow to dry some. To finish off,
    use a section of narrow ribbon, or whatever you have, to wrap around
    the sides of the lid, securing the fabric around the top of the lid.
    I have gone as far as to make little stickers that fir the round lid
    top, like you would for jellies, or whatever. These make great last
    minute gifts, thank-you gifts, decorations at a less formal wedding
    or other gathering, or they're just nice to put on the edge of the
    tub next time you have a bath. I use a fairly large stock pot when I
    do this (and still have neighbors saving their jars for me), so I
    make maybe 25-30 at a time. The grocery store has boxes (that the
    baby food comes in), which are perfect for storing any over runs you
    have.


    Here is an idea for those baby food jars. A friend of mine recently
    had a birthday party for her son, the theme was Winnie The Pooh. She
    decorated several baby food jars as honey combs using construction
    paper, glue, and markers. She also put gold chocolate kisses inside
    the jars and glued a bumble bee on top of the lids. They were then
    passed out to all the kids at the party in place of a candy bag.

    I have a suggestion, my mom makes Christmas trees out of them. One
    string of lights strung through them, garland in the bottom of the
    jars, and any other decorations you may want. Hot glue the jars
    together in a triangle shape. Beats throwing them away!

    Turn the jar upside down to make a snow globe. Unscrew the top (which
    becomes the bottom and glue to it any seasonal item (little pumpkins
    for fall, little flag for 4th of July, etc). Add some glitter and
    then fill with water. Close it tightly and flip over so
    the top
    becomes the base. You can even hot glue it closed to ensure no
    leaking. Trim the bottom with ribbons or lace if desired. Makes a
    great kid's craft for friends, teachers, and grandparents!!!

    Put a spice label on each one and put your spices in the jars. Nail
    the lids in a row up underneath a cupboard and then screw the jars
    into the lids. You now have a hanging spice "rack". When you want to
    use a spice, just unscrew the jar, take out what you want, and screw
    the jar back up. Try to put the jars under a cupboard that isn't hit
    by direct sunlight, as this is not good for the spices.

    Invest in some potpourri oil and soak some cotton balls in the oil.
    Place the balls (some soaked in oil and a couple that have not been)
    in the jars, place the lid on (poke some holes in it) the jar, and
    hide behind things in your home. A nice way to fragrance any room and
    can the scent can keep being added as it
    diminishes.

    I had a lot of them and put a small hole in the top and then put a
    spool of thread in the jar and fed the thread out through the hole.
    I was then able to pull as much thread as needed from the jar. This
    keeps the thread neat and does not get tangled. It is very
    convenient.

    Kelly in IL







    <FONT face="verdana" color="#a040ff" size="3">Diane in IL


    <FONT face="Verdana" color="#a040ff" size="3">Mom to Caitlyn, Coutney & Kristen


    <FONT face="Verdana" color="#a040ff" size="3">DH Scott and Lab Lucy!


    <FONT face="Verdana" color="#a040ff" size="3">


  8. #8
    Rachel L
    Guest

    Default giftjars

    This is such a neat idea! How much problem have you had with the jars fallling? Is the magnet strong enough to hold the fairly heavy jar PLUS the spices in it? thanks so much!

    ~Rachel~

    shelleereneejackson <shelleereneejackson@yahoo.com> wrote: I am currently collecting jars to make a magnetic spice rack. The
    racks sell in stores for $40 or more for 10 -12 small cannisters that
    magnetically attach to a metal plate attached to the
    wall. I used two
    large sheet magnets and glued them vinyl side to each other. One side
    attaches to the refrigerator (freezer door or side of fridge if
    exposed)and the other side is free to attach the baby food jars full
    of spices. The metal lid clings to the magnet and the clear jar allows
    me to see my spices. I printed out small circular labels with the name
    of the spice and adhere it to the bottom, which is clearly visible
    when attached to the magnet. I also used permanent marker to write on
    the lid the name of the spice. The magnet on the fridge can also hold
    metal measuring spoons.



    &#32;
    Be a better pen pal. Text or chat with friends inside Yahoo! Mail. See how.


 

 

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •