Creator & Designer of Budget101.com
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Hawaiian Tropical Luau Party Ideas- on a Budget!

Well, I stuck my foot in it a couple months ago telling the boys they could throw a pool party this summer. Oldest ds turned 16 not too long ago and since there really wasn't any good place to hold a party, we held off until warmer weather moved in. It's moved in, lol.

Now I discover that he wants to have 20 of his "closest" buds over for a Pool Party. One of his friends DJ's so the music/noise is all set/planned already.

We have a decent pool - so that will be the main entertainment, along with volleyball, badminton, and ladderball. I figured we might as well use what we have!

Now for the food-

Since they want to have their party starting around noon and running till 11-ish- I need some major ideas for Good Clean non-hovering fun & food!

For Decor-
    We have Palm Trees growing around our deck/pool so I thought it would be fun to turn the party into a Hawaiian Luau theme.

Name:  1103d1272577925-.jpg
Views: 86754
Size:  64.1 KBName:  940d1269568974-.jpg
Views: 7882
Size:  4.6 KB
    Centerpiece will be the Sea Turtle or Tiki Watermelon, (provided I can find a watermelon bigger than a cantaloupe and less than a million dollars, lol). They were priced around $7 last I saw and weren't much bigger than a softball.

I have Surf boards/wake boards that we play in the ocean with, so I thought we could stand those up at the stairs leading up to the deck/pool.

I'm sure the dollar store has cheap Daiquiri "Glasses" to serve Virgin Pina Colada's & Virgin Daiquiris in, as well as cheap grass skirts (I thought maybe we could use the pop-up awning thingamajig and add grass skirts around the top of it to turn it into a makeshift Cabana.

I thought I'd pick up a couple Hula-hoops and leave those lying around for the kids to play with too.

For Food Ideas:

I was thinking along the lines of Pineapple Pulled Pork or BBQ Pulled Pork- something that can be made ahead of time in the crockpot and left on a table, plugged in to stay warm for most of the day/evening.

Volcano Cake (Ha, a Chocolate Bundt Cake with a Piece of Dry ice placed in the center to make it "smoke"

Virgin Coladas/Daiquiris (aka Smoothies, but Virgin Colada seems to sound so much better when you're 16!)

Soda/Pop

Game Ideas/ Entertainment:

Pass the Coconut- have to pass the coconut to each other (round in a circle) WITHOUT using HANDS.

Limbo- How low can you go? Typical Party Game

Invitations- Flip Flop shaped invitation Cards

K ya'll- that's all I've got- I would LOVE to hear your suggestions, thoughts, Ideas!!
    ~Liss~
    Creator & Designer of
    www.Budget101.com
    www.GroceryBudget101.com
    Budget101 Forums
    KitchenMixGifts.Budget101.com

*Newbies*
    Forum How To Guide

**The happiest people are not those with the best or the most of everything, The happiest people know how to make the best of everything they have.**

Budget101 Guru
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Hawaiian Tropical Luau Party Ideas- on a Budget!

That sounds like fun! I love the volcano cake idea. You could make a tropical fruit salad, wrap hawiaan leis around your invitation cards and direct your guests to wear them to the party.

You could have a Big Kahuna Contest- whoever dresses the "most hawiaan" is the Big Kahuna and gets a prize.

You could make Fruit Kebabs of pineapples/strawberries and apple chunks and then stick them in a watermelon or cantaloupe half to hold them up for grab & go snacking.

It might be less expensive to make a big bowl of punch instead of having soda.

For desserts you could make individual Pineapple upside down cakes using a muffin tin instead of a cake pan.
    CC,

Yeah, This is my life now!

Smart Budgeter
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Hawaiian Tropical Luau Party Ideas- on a Budget!

Liss, you're trying too hard, lol. Just serve your key west grilled chicken recipe that will fill them up!

You could use brightly colored paper plates to serve things on. Add a couple blow up beach balls around for decor.

For a dessert- make a Hawaiian Wedding cake, it's always a very big hit at parties. Basically you bake a yellow cake in a 9x13 pan. Cool, Poke Holes over the cake. open a 20 oz can of crushed pineapple and pour over the cake evenly, place in fridge.

In a bowl Mix beat 1 pkg cream cheese together until fluffy and then add 1 pkg of vanilla pudding and 2 c. cold milk. Beat until smooth, spread over cake on top of the pineapple. Take 1 tub of cool whip, add 1 c. flaked coconut, mix well, spread over the top of the pudding layer. Place in fridge till ready to serve.
    Tracy
    Cooking~Cooking~Cooking- it's all I do!