Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Question about Pinto Beans and Crockpot

Hello everyone,

I haven't been able to post to the list until now, but I wanted to say hello. My name is Lisa and and I trying to learn how to save money and cook at the same time.

I do have a question, if anyone can help. I am wanting to cook some pinto beans in my crockpot, but I am curious to know how much water to put in and how many beans to cook. I know I must sound a bit daft, but I am so challenged in the kitchen that it's not even funny.

Anyway, I hope everyone is doing great today. I am so pleased that Liss has this group back up. I really missed it a lot, and her as well.

Take Care everyone,
    Lisa

Date: Thu Jun 13, 2002 1:22 pm
    Subject: Question about Pinto Beans and Crockpot

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Savin' Moola For This Useful Post:

Downloads
    Uploads

< do have a question, if anyone can help. I am wanting to cook some pinto beans in my crockpot, but I am curious to know how much water to put in and how many beans to cook. I know I must sound a bit daft, but I am so challenged in the kitchen that it's not even funny. >

Lisa, the easiest way to make beans of any kind in a crock pot is to start them the night before if you will be using them around noon, if later in the day start them early in the morning. Put in however many cups of beans you want to cook and then add enough water to cover by 3-5 inches above the beans, if cooking overnight set on low, if starting in the morning set them on high.
    Marva

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Savin' Moola For This Useful Post:

Downloads
    Uploads

From experience, you can't put any more than 4 cups of uncooked dry beans
    into the crockpot or you have an emergency in progress. LOL!

Kelly

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Savin' Moola For This Useful Post:

Downloads
    Uploads

>>I was planning on feeding my husband, 3 yrd old and myself. If I had any beans left over, I would probably freeze them. I bought a 16 oz package of beans. This is two cups right? I don't mean to come across as stupid or anything, but my mother never taught me this stuff. Any help is deeply apprecitated.

Thanks again,
    Lisa<<

Yes that is 2 cups. 8 ounces=1cup. Don't worry, I nor anyone else thinks your stupid. You can't learn if you don't ask questions and questions are certainly welcomed.
    If you were planning on cooking in the crockpot, you might want to stick the beans in right away or they won't get done. 3 to 4 inches of water like someone else said is fine. I do not measure my water when I add it. Just fill the crockpot above the beans by about your pinky finger.

Date: Thu Jun 13, 2002 1:51 pm
    Subject: Re: Budget101.com : Question about Pinto Beans and Crockpot

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Savin' Moola For This Useful Post:

Downloads
    Uploads

If you were planning on cooking in the crockpot, you might want to stick the beans in right away or they won't get done. 3 to 4 inches of water like someone else said is fine. I do not measure my water when I add it

I dont add salt to the water when it cooks because it seems to keep beans from cooking all the way. I add salt when its done

Linda

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Savin' Moola For This Useful Post:

Downloads
    Uploads

I always try to soak beans over night before i put them too cook - even
    when it is not necessary. In fact - if you soak them for a couple of
    DAYS (drain and rinse water 2X each day) until they just start to sprout
    (you will see the root just peek out - maybe not even breaking the skin)
    and THEN cook you will make them more digestible - and more tender.

Evelyn

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Savin' Moola For This Useful Post:

Downloads
    Uploads

<
    Thank you Marva, That sounds simple enough. Except I am starting out kind of late. Maybe I should do this tomorrow morning? I was thinking about having them for supper around 7 tonight, if at all possible.>
    Lisa,
    Not in the crock pot, but just throw them in a regular pot, again cover with about three inches of water, turn the burner on high and bring to boil, once they start to boil, turn them down so that they stay somewhere between a simmer and a boil. Stir every now and then and check the water level periodically. It will take about 2 hours to cook them this way. I never soak my beans except for soybeans or unless I am canning them. After the beans are soft you can add salt and a little oil if you like. Do not add anything acid, or salt to your beans until they are the consistancy that you want (soft) otherwise they won't cook right. hth
    Marva

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Savin' Moola For This Useful Post:

Downloads
    Uploads

I love pinto beans............ cheep cheep and are fat free unless you add
    fat of some kind when making them into refried beans. I put onions, garlic,
    salt and pepper in mine when cooking. Some people dont put salt in till
    after cooking cuz it supposedly makes the skins tough.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Savin' Moola For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast