Popcorn

<FONT face="Tahoma">Has anyone tried to pop popcorn without a popper and if so how does it work? <FONT face="Tahoma"> <FONT face="Tahoma">I was given a large quantity of popcorn kernels. I know popcorn was a cheap, healthy snack during the Great Depression of the 1930's and they did not have

aluminum, cheap, face, foil, great, hat, healthy, healthy snack, hey, ideas, jiffy, large, make, pie, plate, popcorn, small, snack, susan, work, stove, guess, popped, handle, advance, shortening, amount, back, kernels, quantity, popper, remember, poppers, 1930s, depression, 1960s

Thread: Popcorn

Susan Martin

Default Popcorn

<FONT face="Tahoma">Has anyone tried to pop popcorn without a popper and if so how does it work?
    <FONT face="Tahoma">
    <FONT face="Tahoma">I was given a large quantity of popcorn kernels. I know popcorn was a cheap, healthy snack during the Great Depression of the 1930's and they did not have poppers back then. So there has to be a way.
    <FONT face="Tahoma">
    <FONT face="Tahoma">Remember Jiffy Pop from the 1960's? That was just a aluminum plate with a handle and foil around it. The popcorn was popped on the stove. I guess I could put a small amount of shortening in an aluminum pie pan and make my own. Does anyone else have any ideas?
    <FONT face="Tahoma">
    <FONT face="Tahoma">Thanks in advance
    <FONT face="Tahoma">Susan

Tressa Watts

Default Popcorn

we put kernals in a paper bag and cook in the microwave just like microwave popcorn...then we put butter on afterwards....it is much cheaper then buying individual packs of overly buttered microwave popcorn...

We also use kernals in ziplock baggies stored in the freezer for sore muscles...bumps and bruises etc.

Hope this helps....

I know when I was a kid we cooked popcorn in a sauce panwith lid....and just kept moving it like the jiffy pop....not as exciting cuz you couldnt see it though! LOL

Tressa

To: ;
    Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2007 15:21:13 -0600
    Subject: Budget101.com : Popcorn

<FONT face="Tahoma">Has anyone tried to pop popcorn without a popper and if so how does it work?
    <FONT face="Tahoma">
    <FONT face="Tahoma">I was given a large quantity of popcorn kernels. I know popcorn was a cheap, healthy snack during the Great Depression of the 1930's and they did not have poppers back then. So there has to be a way.
    <FONT face="Tahoma">
    <FONT face="Tahoma">Remember Jiffy Pop from the 1960's? That was just a aluminum plate with a handle and foil around it. The popcorn was popped on the stove. I guess I could put a small amount of shortening in an aluminum pie pan and make my own. Does anyone else have any ideas?
    <FONT face="Tahoma">
    <FONT face="Tahoma">Thanks in advance
    <FONT face="Tahoma">Susan

<hr>Peek-a-boo FREE Tricks Treats for You! Get 'em!

armstrca

Default Popcorn

<DIV dir="ltr" align="left"><SPAN class="016171116-01112007">I must be really old <grin> and I have a 12 yo son.
    <DIV dir="ltr" align="left"><SPAN class="016171116-01112007">
    <DIV dir="ltr" align="left"><SPAN class="016171116-01112007">I remember popping it in a fry pan with some oil in the bottom of the pan.
    <DIV dir="ltr" align="left"><SPAN class="016171116-01112007">Put about 2 - 3 T oil in the pan and 1 popcorn kernel, heat it up. When the kernel pops, add the amt of popcorn you will pop (1/2 c).
    <DIV dir="ltr" align="left"><SPAN class="016171116-01112007">Shake the pan (don't know if that is necessary, but we did it anyway) as it is on the stove. Wait until the popping slows to remove the pan. Melt butter to put on it and sprinkle with salt.

<FONT face="Tahoma">From: Budget101_@yahoogroups.com [mailto:Budget101_@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Susan Martin
    Sent: Wednesday, October 31, 2007 4:21 PM
    To: Undisclosed-Recipient:;
    Subject: Budget101.com : Popcorn<SPAN class="016171116-01112007">
    <FONT face="Tahoma"><SPAN class="016171116-01112007">
    Has anyone tried to pop popcorn without a popper and if so how does it work?

Cindy

Default Popcorn

Just use a heavy pot with a lid. I don't measure, but pour oil to

cover the bottom of the pot, add 3 kernals of corn and put over md

high heat. When those kernals pop the oil is hot enough. Add a layer

of kernals and the lid. Keep the pot moving to prevent scorching and

you will know when it is finished. I use the same pot to melt a

little butter to pour over the popcorn. Then you can add salt, season

salt, hot pepper, whaterver.

--- In Budget101_@yahoogroups.com, "Susan Martin" <oldeworld@...>

wrote:

>