Will these herbs grow back next year?- Gardening & Landscaping

Hi, I am new to gardening and I planted some herbs this year. I have some chives that grow back every year and I was wondering if my other herbs will too. I planted dill, parsley, spearmint and basil. I will try others next year as well. If anyone would let me know which herbs grow back and which

year, herbs, grow, back, planted, greatly, seedlings, start, gardening, chives, parsley, spearmint, basil, dill, wondering

Ground Level Lurker
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Will these herbs grow back next year?

Hi, I am new to gardening and I planted some herbs this year. I have some chives that grow back every year and I was wondering if my other herbs will too. I planted dill, parsley, spearmint and basil. I will try others next year as well. If anyone would let me know which herbs grow back and which ones I have to start as seedlings every year, I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you!

Deal Goddess
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Will these herbs grow back next year?

Quote Originally Posted by Woodngems View Post
    Hi, I am new to gardening and I planted some herbs this year. I have some chives that grow back every year and I was wondering if my other herbs will too. I planted dill, parsley, spearmint and basil. I will try others next year as well. If anyone would let me know which herbs grow back and which ones I have to start as seedlings every year, I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you!

Dill will come back, as long as it doesn't get too cold. It can only stand temps dropping to -4.
    Parsley- Though parsley is technically a perennial, it usually goes to seed in its second year and so is grown as an annual.
    Spearmint- is a perennial
    Basil- is an annual (usually) although there are some varieties that are perennial such as Holy basil and african blue

Other Perennial Herbs:

Bay
    Bergamot
    Chamomile
    Chives
    Fennel
    Horseradish
    Horsetail
    Juniper
    Lemon Balm
    Lovage
    Pot Marjoram
    Mint
    Oregano
    Rosemary
    Sage
    Savory
    Sorrel
    Sweet Cicely
    Tarragon
    Thyme
    Valerian
    Verbena

Some herbs have a tendency to "Take-Over" the garden, particularly Mints. These can be planted in pots and the pots planted in the garden to prevent this. It gives the plants a chance to grow & come back every year without taking over.
    ~Enjoy!~

FreebieQueen

Like Budget101 on Facebook!
    Join us on Twitter #Budget101

Deal GURU
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Will these herbs grow back next year?

Yeah, definitely Dill will come back. I had a pot of it last year, but the heat got it...but it's already came back.