Ground Level Lurker
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Will these herbs grow back next year?

Hi, I am new to gardening and I planted some herbs this year. I have some chives that grow back every year and I was wondering if my other herbs will too. I planted dill, parsley, spearmint and basil. I will try others next year as well. If anyone would let me know which herbs grow back and which ones I have to start as seedlings every year, I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you!

Deal Goddess
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Will these herbs grow back next year?

Quote Originally Posted by Woodngems View Post
    Hi, I am new to gardening and I planted some herbs this year. I have some chives that grow back every year and I was wondering if my other herbs will too. I planted dill, parsley, spearmint and basil. I will try others next year as well. If anyone would let me know which herbs grow back and which ones I have to start as seedlings every year, I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you!

Dill will come back, as long as it doesn't get too cold. It can only stand temps dropping to -4.
    Parsley- Though parsley is technically a perennial, it usually goes to seed in its second year and so is grown as an annual.
    Spearmint- is a perennial
    Basil- is an annual (usually) although there are some varieties that are perennial such as Holy basil and african blue

Other Perennial Herbs:

Bay
    Bergamot
    Chamomile
    Chives
    Fennel
    Horseradish
    Horsetail
    Juniper
    Lemon Balm
    Lovage
    Pot Marjoram
    Mint
    Oregano
    Rosemary
    Sage
    Savory
    Sorrel
    Sweet Cicely
    Tarragon
    Thyme
    Valerian
    Verbena

Some herbs have a tendency to "Take-Over" the garden, particularly Mints. These can be planted in pots and the pots planted in the garden to prevent this. It gives the plants a chance to grow & come back every year without taking over.
    ~Enjoy!~

FreebieQueen

Like Budget101 on Facebook!
    Join us on Twitter #Budget101

Deal GURU
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Will these herbs grow back next year?

Yeah, definitely Dill will come back. I had a pot of it last year, but the heat got it...but it's already came back.