Thread: Meringue Bark

What's a Budget? Michelleto3boys's Avatar
    Noblesville, IN

Paw Meringue Bark

I love these and they are so much cheaper to make than buy the cookies. To make it simpler I just make it into a bark.

1/2 cup blanched slivered almonds, divided
    1 teaspoon sugar, plus 1/4 cup
    4 egg whites
    Pinch salt
    1 tablespoon instant espresso powder
    1/3 cup mini chocolate chips

Preheat the oven to 250 degrees F. Line a rimmed baking sheet with a silicone baking mat or parchment paper.

Put 1/4 cup blanched almonds and 1 teaspoon sugar into a food processor and pulse until it resembles cornmeal; reserve. Finely chop the remaining almonds.

In a stand mixer with the whisk attachment, beat egg whites and salt until very soft peaks have formed. In a small bowl, stir together the remaining 1/4 cup sugar and espresso powder. With the mixer running on low, slowly add in the sugar and the espresso powder, 1 tablespoon at a time, whipping just to the stiff peak stage, (do not overbeat). Gently fold in the reserved almond flour.

With a large offset spatula, spread the meringue batter on the lined baking sheet in an even layer, about 1/2-inch thick. Sprinkle the finely chopped almonds and chocolate chips evenly over the surface of the meringue and bake for 1 hour. Turn the oven off, leaving the meringue in the oven to dry out further and cool for an additional 1 hour.

in front of the puter
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Meringue Bark

Yum, these sound really yummy, I can't wait to try them!

Like Budget101 on Facebook!
    Join us on Twitter #Budget101