What's a Budget?
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Extra Eggs in storage

I buy eggs on sale. Like now when I found them for 79 cents a dozen. Then I place one egg into one hollow of an ice cube tray and freeze.

Dump them into a plastic bags when frozen solid.

I separate some, so I have whites and just yokes as well as whole individual eggs. Then I have just the right amount for what ever my recipe calls for.

Be careful of the size of the hollows in the trays. Use bigger ones for whole eggs and the smaller ones for separated eggs.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to degauze For This Useful Post:

Deal GURU
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Extra Eggs in storage

Does freezing the whole egg change the texture, when thawed, from that of a fresh whole egg? Can you use the frozen whole eggs the same way you would've used fresh eggs..??.. If so for both questions, seems like a win-win situation...

Creator & Designer of Budget101.com
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Extra Eggs in storage

Quote Originally Posted by MrsPaws View Post
    Does freezing the whole egg change the texture, when thawed, from that of a fresh whole egg? Can you use the frozen whole eggs the same way you would've used fresh eggs..??.. If so for both questions, seems like a win-win situation...
    Whole eggs can be stored in plastic containers
    Raw Egg Yolks must be broken and either 1/4 tsp salt OR 3/4 tsp of sugar added per 1/2 cup of Yolks (Otherwise they will become "Gummy" in texture)
    Cooked egg yolks freeze quite well.

Raw Egg whites freeze perfectly in ice cube trays and need nothing added. However, COOKED egg whites become rather rubbery/nasty when frozen.
    ~Liss~
    Creator & Designer of
    www.Budget101.com
    www.GroceryBudget101.com
    Budget101 Forums
    KitchenMixGifts.Budget101.com

*Newbies*
    Forum How To Guide

**The happiest people are not those with the best or the most of everything, The happiest people know how to make the best of everything they have.**