Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Deal Goddess
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Article: Warming Your Garden Naturally

If you've already planted your garden but suddenly find yourself with a few unexpected cool nights- here is a tip to help you protect your plants and warm them naturally.

Read More: Article: Warming Your Garden Naturally
    ~Enjoy!~

FreebieQueen

Like Budget101 on Facebook!
    Join us on Twitter #Budget101

Ground Level Lurker
    Downloads
    Uploads

If you paint your buckets/containers black, they will absorb more heat during the day.

Smart Budgeter
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

I'm too lazy to tote buckets. In my garden we built raised beds. The sides and top of the bed all absorb heat from the sun because we made cold frames that fit right over the top of each 4x8 bed. I put them up in the fall to extend the life of the plants and leave them there to protect my seedlings in the spring.

What's a Budget?
    Downloads
    Uploads

if it is a sudden drop in temp a plastic dropcloth will usually hold off the frost till the next day, I keep a couple around for emergency covers, just spread them over the babies and prop them up a bit in the middle. I rarely lose anything when I do this,

Ground Level Lurker
    Downloads
    Uploads

What great ideas, thanks for sharing! I especially like the one with the milk jugs, though I do wonder which provides the most warmth- or rather, for the longest period?!

What's a Budget?
    Downloads
    Uploads

Another great idea for using the gallon milk jugs filled with water is to drape a piece of plastic over your young plant... in between the rows of milk jugs and secure the ends by opening the milk jugs and secure the ends of the plastic by screwing the lid back down. Just be sure that the plastic doesn't come in contact with your young plants.This is of course is for overnight low temperatures, then remove the plastic when you wake up the next morning.

What's a Budget?
    Downloads
    Uploads

We have used old quilts and blankets and even had vine-ripened tomatoes in November with a foot of snow on the ground.

What's a Budget?
    Downloads
    Uploads

These are great ideas! We will start saving and preparing our milk jugs now! Thanks!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast