Set-Up-Camp Supper

Set-Up-Camp Supper

:lets-eat: This really isn't a recipe, but a tip. We usually leave to go camping after work on Thursday or Friday. By the time we get to the campsite, and get everything set up, we are starving!! I found this tip the first year we were camping. As I pack up the motorhome, I either throw in

camping, pizza, casserole, sloppy, joes, fridge, pack, throw, motorhome, pick, personal, favorite, camp, setting, reheat, easily, supper, work, thursday, friday, leave, recipe, lets-eat, time, starving, found, set-up-camp, campsite, year

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    What's a Budget?
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Set-Up-Camp Supper

This really isn't a recipe, but a tip. We usually leave to go camping after work on Thursday or Friday. By the time we get to the campsite, and get everything set up, we are starving!! I found this tip the first year we were camping. As I pack up the motorhome, I either throw in the fridge a casserole or sloppy joes that I can reheat easily while setting up camp, or pick up a pizza on the way. (My personal favorite is the pizza.)

What's a Budget?
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Set-Up-Camp Supper

I read this post a couple of years ago. I have used this tip over and over!! It' been pizza for setup night or if there is a grill and bar where we are camping, we go there to meet others that are staying the weekend.

What's a Budget?
    Downloads
    Uploads

next time try pre made hobo dinners.

Its any meat of your choice with carrots, potatoes, onions, celery, etc sealed in a heavy duty aluminum foil pouch. once your coals are hot toss them on and in about 1/2 hour you will have a hot individual meal with little to no cleanup.

my personal favorite is a patty of ground chuck, a bit of oil, seasoning, set over top of potato's, (russet or sweet) carrots, corn, celery, green beans, peas and squash. for a kick try homemade Zatarans seasoning.

tips, make sure the foil is air tight, and turn it every so often. If I were to make these at home I would set the oven to 450 deg and cook them for 40 mins.

you can also do a desert the same way in a different foil bag. apples with Cinnamon is my favorite.

What's a Budget?
    Downloads
    Uploads

Delicious way to start off the weekend, having either recipe for supper!

Deal GURU
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

joelle213...pizza doesn't really count as a camping or outdoor meal, BUT I so appreciate your thoughts! LOL! Grabbing pizza as ya go would be soooo easy! LOL!

What's a Budget?
    Downloads
    Uploads

any suggestions for no cook meals?

Creator & Designer of Budget101.com
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

We LOVE camping! I agree that set-up days can be a hassle. Normally what I do prior to camping for the week (or weekend!) is pre-cook a few items to make it easier. I make a menu plan, just as I would for the house, so that everyone can see what is on the menu and knows what NOT to snack on, lol so we still have the ingredients needed to make the recipe listed on the menu.

Then the day before we camp I generally cook several items, such as bacon (which we bake), brown sausage for Southern Comfort Grits , etc. Pretty much anything that would be difficult, make a big mess, or create a potential hazard either by attracting unwanted wildlife (gators, bears, Raccoons), or by potential fire hazard (like too much grease in the fire!).

So, on arrival and setup day we throw together some BLT's using presliced tomatoes (put in a container in the TOP of the cooler for easy access) and precooked bacon. They're yummy and we don't have them very often, so we really look forward to them. Other times we grab some hot dog rolls and have egg salad sandwiches on hot dog buns. They're easier to handle when you're setting up and the filling doesn't fall out.

I love the idea of hobo packets if you know you're going to be getting a fire together right off the bat.
    ~Liss~
    Creator & Designer of
    www.Budget101.com
    www.GroceryBudget101.com
    Budget101 Forums
    KitchenMixGifts.Budget101.com

*Newbies*
    Forum How To Guide

**The happiest people are not those with the best or the most of everything, The happiest people know how to make the best of everything they have.**

Deal GURU
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

As to what Liss said...YES! If I'm planning a MAJOR first-night meal for camping, I'll start the fire, put the meat on -- chicken, steaks, etc., and let it 'attend' to itself and attack the rest of the plan -- setting up camp. Usually, by the time I get everything set up, it's time to turn the meat;-D I can then sit and enjoy the companions and monitor the cooking...giggle...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast