Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    angies_groups

Default Health Insurance

Hi, all,

Does anyone out there have experience with health insurance
    companies and plans? We’re new to the US so this whole concept is new to
    us. Our only goal is to not go bankrupt if we have to go to the hospital.
    I’m seeing premiums from $3-500 per month for our family of four. Is that
    in the ballpark? Are some companies better than others? I would also prefer to
    not go bankrupt paying premiums <font size="2" face="Wingdings">10.0pt;font-family:Wingdings;">J

Thanks…angie

Monique Burkes

Default Health Insurance

I&#39;m an insurance agent. Ask away...

Are you or your spouse able to get insurance through work? Generally, that is the cheapest. For the $300-$500 range, what is the deductible? If you are only looking for emergency coverage, then choose a higher deductible to save money.

On 9/1/07, angies_groups[/b] <angies_groups@comcast.net> wrote:

<font face="Times New Roman" size="3"><span style="FONT-SIZE: 12pt;">

<font face="Arial" size="2"><span style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt;FONT-FAMILY: Arial;">Hi, all,

<font face="Arial" size="2"><span style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt;FONT-FAMILY: Arial;">

<font face="Arial" size="2"><span style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt;FONT-FAMILY: Arial;">Does anyone out there have experience with health insurance companies and plans? We're new to the US so this whole concept is new to us. Our only goal is to not go bankrupt if we have to go to the hospital. I'm seeing premiums from $3-500 per month for our family of four. Is that in the ballpark? Are some companies better than others? I would also prefer to not go bankrupt paying premiums <font face="Wingdings" size="2"><span style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt;FONT-FAMILY: Wingdings;">J<font face="Arial" size="2"><span style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt;FONT-FAMILY: Arial;">

<font face="Arial" size="2"><span style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt;FONT-FAMILY: Arial;">

<font face="Arial" size="2"><span style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt;FONT-FAMILY: Arial;">Thanks…angie

--
    Monique
    Euclid, OH

Vickie

Default Health Insurance

Hello.........Ihaven't had any experience looking for insurance since I have it from my work. But I'd start calling different insurance companies& comparing the cost. Some companies offer insurance for people that are self employed. Check with your auto insurance carrier, most carry medical insurance. I pay $95 month for medical, dental, vision & prescription insurance for myself & my husband. No deductable, $20 doctor visit co pay& they pay 90%. That's why I stay at my job.

angies_groups wrote: <DIV class="Section1"> <div class="MsoNormal"> <div class="MsoNormal"><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt;FONT-FAMILY: Arial;">Hi, all, <div class="MsoNormal"><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt;FONT-FAMILY: Arial;"> <div class="MsoNormal"><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt;FONT-FAMILY: Arial;">Does anyone out there have experience with health insurance companies and plans? We’re new to the <ST1><ST1>US</ST1></ST1> so this whole concept is new to us. Our only goal is to not go bankrupt if we have to go to the hospital. I’m seeing premiums from $3-500 per month for our family of four. Is that in the ballpark? Are some companies better than others? I would also prefer to not go bankrupt paying premiums <FONT face="Wingdings" size="2"><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt;FONT-FAMILY: Wingdings;">J<SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt;FONT-FAMILY: Arial;"> <div class="MsoNormal"><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt;FONT-FAMILY: Arial;"> <div class="MsoNormal"><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt;FONT-FAMILY: Arial;">Thanks…angie

&#32;
    Building a website is a piece of cake.
    Yahoo! Small Business gives you all the tools to get online.

Herlean

Default Health Insurance

We get our health insurance through our employers. It is my understanding that you can't get individual insurance if you have a group plan through your employers. I called once and tried to get that AFLAC kind, with the duck in the commercials and they would not talk to me after I told them I had group coverage. Same thing happened when I tried to buy our family individual dental, since our group one was awful. All the best with finding one. Herlean

angies_groups wrote: <DIV class="Section1"> <div class="MsoNormal"> <div class="MsoNormal"><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt;FONT-FAMILY: Arial;">Hi, all, <div class="MsoNormal"><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt;FONT-FAMILY: Arial;"> <div class="MsoNormal"><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt;FONT-FAMILY: Arial;">Does anyone out there have experience with health insurance companies and plans? We’re new to the US so this whole concept is new to us. Our only goal is to not go bankrupt if we have to go to the hospital. I’m seeing premiums from $3-500 per month for our family of four. Is that in the ballpark? Are some
    companies better than others? I would also prefer to not go bankrupt paying premiums <FONT face="Wingdings" size="2"><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt;FONT-FAMILY: Wingdings;">J<SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt;FONT-FAMILY: Arial;"> <div class="MsoNormal"><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt;FONT-FAMILY: Arial;"> <div class="MsoNormal"><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt;FONT-FAMILY: Arial;">Thanks…angie

&#32;

Yahoo! oneSearch: Finally, mobile search that gives answers, not web links.

allisonecooper

Default Health Insurance

You might want to check into a high deductible health plan or a

catastrophe-only type policy to get lower monthly premiums (if you

don't mind paying for normal illness appointments out of your

pocket). With all of the health companies I have had throughout the

years, I like Blue Cross Blue Shield the best. They picked up my

daughter's delivery, open-heart surgery, therapy, oxygen, etc with

no questions asked. Although YMMV, we never once had a problem with

rejected or incorrectly paid claims. When you or someone in your

family has a health problem, it is worth so much to be able to go to

the best doctor/surgeon/hospital without having to worry about cost.

-Allison

--- In Budget101_@yahoogroups.com, "angies_groups"

<angies_groups@...> wrote:

>

>

>

> Hi, all,

>

>

>

> Does anyone out there have experience with health insurance

companies and

> plans? We're new to the US so this whole concept is new to us. Our

only goal

> is to not go bankrupt if we have to go to the hospital. I'm seeing

premiums

> from $3-500 per month for our family of four. Is that in the

ballpark? Are

> some companies better than others? I would also prefer to not go

bankrupt

> paying premiums

>

>

>

> Thanks.angie

>

Anna Stina Andersson

Default Health Insurance

I know something about health insurance, having once been self-employed and having to pay for my own insurance.

First, I don&#39;t think $3-$500 for a family of 4 is bad...in fact, that&#39;s a GREAT price....but what does it include? I bet it has a huge deductible. I am employed as a nurse at a hospice and I pay $300 a month for 2 people and the rest of the premium is subsidized by my employer&#39;s group plan (son & myself) for their best plan ($20 co-pay for doc visits, some dental, $75 co-pay for ER visits, most lab test and diagnostics, surgeries covered 100%, there&#39;s a co-pay on prescriptions. It&#39;s higher if you don&#39;t use their mail order service.) Still - it gets expensive after shelling out for health insurance and then having to pay the extra co-pays. But...recently, my son had a bout with a respiratory infection and ultimately dehydrated. I took him to the ER. They gave him a prescription, chest xray and a liter of saline IV to rehydrate him. Total time spent there: 3 hours. Total bill: $2000 My cost: $75.

The last self-pay policy I had thru State Farm was for my son and myself and it was somewhere around $150 a month. For that, I had a $5000 deductible (meaning everything and anything that happened, I was responsible for, up to $5000 PER PERSON). After that was met, I was responsible for 20% of all medical expenses, up to $10,000 PER PERSON. So I&#39;d first have to pay $7000 before the insurance would pay 100%. God forbid we were both seriously ill at the same time! They&#39;d pay up to $1,000,000 per person PER LIFETIME. That sounds like a lot, but if you&#39;ve seen what something really major medical can cost, it&#39;s not much. This policy to me was practically useless unless I coughed up a lung or needed a kidney transplant. But it was the best I could do at the time and figured it was "catatrosphic" insurance. If I had a heart attack or got cancer, those deductibles and premiums would&#39;ve been a drop in the bucket compared to what the hospital/docs would have charged.

I found out while I had no insurance for a time - and my son was ill - that he qualified for something called "Carenet". It was something thru a local Catholic hospital for people like us who had fallen thru the cracks ---- not poor enough for welfare --- but not well off enough to have health insurance for whatever reason. They picked up one of his hospital bills 100%. There were tons of forms to fill out. Apparently owning property did not exclude me from participating in the program. It was based on income. Check with your local hospitals. I&#39;m sure this isn&#39;t a unique idea our local hospital has.

There&#39;s so many things to consider when choosing insurance....how old are you, do any of your have pre-existing conditions, do you generally have health-seeking behaviors (don&#39;t smoke, drink, drive fast, use drugs, etc?) My best advice to you is to look in the yellow pages and call some of the insurance companies that advertise health insurance. Keep a chart and write down all the particulars....name of insurance co, levels of coverage, person you spoke to, premiums, deductibles, what services are covered, pre-existing condition waiting periods, are they a preferred provider participant (for instance, will they pay more if you go to certain hospitals or doctors?) and of course, the premiums. Figure out what you can live with. The way I looked at it at the time, I had to "self-insure" by taking good care of myself. I drive like I&#39;m 90. I figured if someone injured me, their insurance would have to pay.

Also be aware that no hospital can turn you away for inability to pay. They have to work with you if you don&#39;t have the means to pay them. If you own no property and have no income, you really don&#39;t have much to worry about as there&#39;s no way for them to collect. With the exorbitant cost of healthcare, I suppose that&#39;s something they&#39;ve built into the system to cover.

May I ask where you are from? Sounds like you&#39;re from somewhere that has a socialized medical system. The U.S. is the only industrialized nation in the world that doesn&#39;t have one. Really sucks, doesn&#39;t it? My family lives in Sweden and they are constantly amazed when I tell them of the healthcare costs we endure here in the US.

Best of luck.

herberkids3

Default Health Insurance

When you are working, most jobs offer some sort of health plan for a

LOT less per month.

At Nick's last job, we paid out around $80 a month for our

insurance, which was awesome. We had a $10 office co-pay and a

variable co-pay for medications, and that was it. 100% of procedures

were covered, as were emergency visits, and most hospital stays.

When Nick quit that job to start his new one, we were offered a

Cobra- basically, that means you are given the oppertunity to pay

100% of the fees associated with keeping your existing health care

plan for a pre-determined amount of time. Since Nick was starting

his new job immediatly, we didn't need it.

When I got the letters in the mail depicting the cost, I about died.

It was over $900 a month just for the health care itself, not

including dental, eye, or perscription coverage that we also had.

All in all, had we wanted to keep that insurance, we would have paid

out around $1500 a month for it.

The better the plan, the more it'll cost you. Try to avoid going

with unknown places, as they might be scams, or could wind up

costing you more in fees, co-pays, etc, than paying a higher amount

each month.

Look into what type of health care you can get by working. Even if

you have to pay $150 a month, it's cheaper than paying out the

higher amounts on your own.

We really lucked out at our last job, but even more so with Nick's

new job, as they cover 100% of the fees, so we don't have money

taken from his checks every week, and the co-pays are very similiar

except that we also have to pay a $25 ready-care/urgent-care co-pay,

and a $50 emergency room co-pay.

--- In Budget101_@yahoogroups.com, <angies_groups@...>

wrote:

> Hi, all,

>

> Does anyone out there have experience with health insurance

companies and plans? We're new to the US so this whole concept is

new to us. Our only goal is to not go bankrupt if we have to go to

the hospital. I'm seeing premiums from $3-500 per month for our

family of four. Is that in the ballpark? Are some companies better

than others? I would also prefer to not go bankrupt paying premiums J

>

> Thanks…angie

>

>

>

>

>

>

> ---------------------------------

> Building a website is a piece of cake.

> Yahoo! Small Business gives you all the tools to get online.

>

Monique Burkes

Default Health Insurance

I pay $570/month for my family plan at work.

On 9/5/07, herberkids3 <herberkids3@yahoo.com> wrote:

>

> When you are working, most jobs offer some sort of health plan for a

> LOT less per month.>

--

Monique

Euclid, OH

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast