Ground Level Lurker
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Freezing milk........

Can it be done? My son, who is turning 9 next month, consumes more milk than I can keep in the fridge. I hate having to run to the store several times a week for just milk. Because you all know how hard it is to leave the store with JUST milk! LOL

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to newfrugalmommy For This Useful Post:

Downloads
    Uploads

Yes, you can freeze milk, but you have to free up enough space in the container so that it doesn't burst when the milk expands in freezing. It will expand by 9 percent, so you need to remove about a cup and a half of milk to prevent a flood.

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Savin' Moola For This Useful Post:

Downloads
    Uploads

Have milk you need to freeze? Freeze the milk in ice cube trays. Then
    take out and let defrost as much or little as needed. I then take the
    cubes once frozen and store in a plastic ice cream tub or plastic
    bags.
    The chcolate milk ones are froze as is into fudgecicles and I freeze
    those in 3 ounce paper cups with a craft stick in each. You could also
    flavor the white and make frozen treats.
    We have so much milk. We are freezing this way and to top it off
    safeway has 1 gallon of milk with coupon ffor 99 cents. We will buy
    it. I know you can freeze milk right in the container but this method,
    the cubes ,works so great. Especailly for those who only need a little
    at a time...jo...6/22/02...God bless

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Savin' Moola For This Useful Post:

Ground Level Lurker
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks for the great responses! The idea about freezing in ice cube trays is great! Would work nice for just adding little amounts to cooking/baking.

While on the subject of milk, dare I ask another question? I broke down and bought powdered milk yesterday. I mixed up a quart according to the instructions and then mixed THAT with a quart of regular milk. Served it to my son (the milk guzzler!) this morning with my fingers crossed and.............HE DIDN'T SAY A WORD!!! Drank it right down! So there, I've cut my milk expense in about half as easy as that! We'll see if I'm successful at slowing adding more powdered and less real as the weeks go on. So, finally to the question! how do you use powdered milk in recipes? The box instructions only tell me how to mix a quart at a time......so do you always have a quart mixed up in the fridge for adding to recipes or do you just add the dry flakes by themselves when cooking?

Thanks guys!

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to newfrugalmommy For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

When using powdered milk in cooking or baking you do not have to reconstitute it first. When baking, I usually just add the powdered milk along with the dry ingredients and add the water for mixing it with the liquid ingredients. Works great! When mashing potatoes I save a little of the cooking liquid and add some powdered milk to it, then add that back into the potatoes as I mash them. Experiment a little, don't be afraid! Also, when cutting your milk with the powdered milk, it's best to chill it thoroughly before serving. You really can't tell the difference then!

10. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to FruGal For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

I only go to the store once a month. I always freeze milk. I also mix my milk half dry powdered milk reconstituted and half regular milk. No one knows the difference but when we have to drink straight powdered milk they are able to do so because they are already semi used to it. This happened last December during the big ice storm and we had no electricity or phones for 3 weeks.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to brchbell For This Useful Post: