Budget101 Done Digging
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default oxygen absorbers

does anyone know where i could buy oxygen absorbers locally? i know if i add then to my dehydrated food, it will make my dried foods, rice and pasta last much longer. however, it isnt reallys something i want to pay shipping on if i dont have to. i feel that will really kill the money i am saving on my food.

Budget101 Guru
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: oxygen absorbers

I don't find the need for 'oxygen absorbers' as much as 'moisture absorbers' (desiccant) for my dehydrated foods, which need to stay dry. The use of vacuum-sealed bags (FoodSaver) can eliminate the need for oxygen absorbers since the vacuum process removes the air.

The commonly used desiccant is Silca Gel and comes in varying size packets and can be found in many product packaging you buy. The nice thing is they are reusable so frugal people don't throw them away. They can be recharged simply placing in an low-temp oven or dehydrator for a few hours. I haven't had the need to buy them at all.

Oxygen Absorbers on the other hand are one-time-use only since they are basically packets of iron that go through a process of rusting which consumes oxygen. They are used for storage in mylar bags in lieu of mechanical vacuum sealing. Unfortunately I'm not aware of any place locally that stocks them, though you may check for places that sell preserving or survival supplies.
    I used to eat a lot of natural foods until I learned that most people die of natural causes.

Deal Goddess
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: oxygen absorbers

Name:  51artKGk7BL._AA115_.jpg
Views: 508
Size:  4.1 KB You can get them here on Amazon.
    ~Enjoy!~

FreebieQueen

Like Budget101 on Facebook!
    Join us on Twitter #Budget101