Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Budget101 Done Digging
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default cast iron dutch oven

when i was a kid, i remember my parents having a dutch oven with a tripod that sat over the campfire. i dont remember it being used very often.

i am thinking of getting on. i dont camp but i would like to use it in my fire place or at least my fire pit outside. my question is, to all the campers who have one, do you use it often and what do you fix in it...i only remember bean soup and chili.

Deal GURU
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: cast iron dutch oven

I'm no camper and I've never used one to cook outdoors, but I've got two or three cast iron dutch ovens that I use fairly often in my oven and on my stove. I would imagine the items could be cooked on a fire also.
    Roasts with veggies, chicken dishes, an artisan no knead bread, all kinds of soups and stews-using whatever meats-or veggie soup, like you mentioned-beans, chili, and bean soup...
    The pots can be used to fry, boil, and/or bake. The possibilities are essentially limitless.

Budget101 Done Digging
    Downloads
    Uploads

mrspaws thank you for your input. i think i am going to get me one. i have 5 people in my family, do you think a 10 quart would be enough? it works for my crockpot being that size.

Deal Goddess
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

I would think that would be large enough. When I was a kid we frequently made "Bean-Hole Beans" where you dug a hole in the ground, built a fire and let it burn down to coals, then placed a cast iron pot full of beans/salt pork/seasonings into the hole, covered it all up and let the heat of the coals bake the beans all day. They were so delicious, best beans in the world.
    ~Enjoy!~

FreebieQueen

Like Budget101 on Facebook!
    Join us on Twitter #Budget101

Deal GURU
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Yep, I think so also.
    A 10 qt pot is pretty large and will hold quite a bit.
    When you get your new one, just make sure to season it well.
    After you've used it a few times, you'll be able to decide if it fits just right or if you think you may want a larger one.
    If you decide you want a larger one, then by all means, get one.
    IMHO, you've definitely not wasted anything...Iron ware is an investment. It's gonna be here longer than we're gonna be...kwim?
    Can ya tell that I like iron cookware...

Budget101 Done Digging
    Downloads
    Uploads

great idea on the beans, i think i may have to do that with the kids. they are always into odd ways i come up witth cooking.

ok, i have a 10 qt castiron dutch oven on the short list to buy really soon.

Deal GURU
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Oh I cook almost every day with my dutch ovens! A 10 is a good size for a family. 12 for a good crowd and an 8 for a small family. I have several dutch ovens in several sizes but use the 8 and 10 the most. I cook on the stove, in oven, with charcoal but we love cooking over and open fire most of all with them. MacScouter has several boy scout cookbooks you can download. So many things you can cook with them. My family loves the dutch oven lasagna with dutch oven garlic bread. Most folks think of soups and stews but we even make cakes in them. use it as often as you can especailly over open fires so you know how they handle. An open flame will usually burn quickly but a dying down fire is great to cook over. MacScouter: Cooking for Scouts and Scouters Have fun!

Deal GURU
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Such cool ideas! Thanks so much for sharing...think I'll have to try some of these ideas.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast