baking bread

Hello, i have the best husband, he bought me a kitchen aid stand mixer for christmas. i promised i would make him fresh bread every weekend which i do. i use the receipe that came in the booklet. however, he says the bread is to heavy/dense. does anyone have a receipe that would make the bread

question, bread, made, gluten, good, wheat, vital, flour, liss, heavy/dense, thought, evidently, wrong, and/or, purposes, grief, difference, tonight, full, crumbly, enhancer, dough, thing, crystals, price, yeast, 115-120, purpose, cheaper, work, wondered, happen, aware, home, times, baking, pretty, liquid, cool, damaged, stupid

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: baking bread

Budget101 Done Digging
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default baking bread

Hello,

i have the best husband, he bought me a kitchen aid stand mixer for christmas. i promised i would make him fresh bread every weekend which i do. i use the receipe that came in the booklet. however, he says the bread is to heavy/dense. does anyone have a receipe that would make the bread lighter more like store bought bread?

also, does bread flour vs all purpose flour really make a difference?

thank you.

Ann

Creator & Designer of Budget101.com
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: baking bread

Dense bread is can be caused by the following things:

• Dead yeast due to water heat (or water being too cold to activate heat)
    • not enough or damaged gluten
    • insufficient kneading
    • inadequate rising time

95 F is about the max temperature for water/milk in bread recipes.

Most recently when baking, I've stopped using bread-flour (homemade by adding 1 tsp gluten per cup of flour), and started using all-purpose flour. The result is a much lighter/fluffier texture in the bread. It's possible that my gluten was too old . . . but the fam & I decided that the breads were tastier without it.

if you're using Whole Wheat flour you Really need the gluten. Incorporate 1 tbsp. of either vital wheat gluten or vitamin C crystals into your dough.

Budget101 Done Digging
    Downloads
    Uploads

i actually use all purpose flour because it was cheaper to use. i saw bread flour and wondered how it would work but i didnt want to pay the price for it. i did have my yeast around 115-120. so i will try to cool the liquid down a little.

how do i know if i damaged the gluten? (is that a stupid question?)

Deal GURU
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by bethaliz6894 View Post
    i actually use all purpose flour because it was cheaper to use. i saw bread flour and wondered how it would work but i didnt want to pay the price for it. i did have my yeast around 115-120. so i will try to cool the liquid down a little.

IMO, it's a pretty GOOD question...something I wasn't even aware that could happen.

The last..many times I made home made bread, it was either really crumbly or was very heavy/dense. I thought I had made it the same way as I've always done, but evidently something went wrong...somewhere.

Liss, where does one buy the vital wheat gluten and/or vit c crystals?

Is the vital wheat gluten the same thing as dough enhancer? If not, what do you think the
    difference is and purposes?
    Good grief, it would appear I'm just full of question tonight...

Budget101 Done Digging
    Downloads
    Uploads

dough enhancer? never heard of such a creature.

Creator & Designer of Budget101.com
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Haha, you gals are keeping me busy this morn, lol

From what I've been told by various bakers/chefs over the years- one, by making the bread tough and overly chewy; or two, by failing to trap the gas given off by the yeast, which makes the bread flat and dense.

>>Is the vital wheat gluten the same thing as dough enhancer?If not, what do you think the difference is and purposes?
    No. well, it's very similar-

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	51RP4Z219GL.jpg 
Views:	1451 
Size:	50.7 KB 
ID:	4163 Vital Wheat Gluten is manufactured from wheat flour that has been treated to remove nearly all of the starch to leave a very high protein content. (Gluten is the protein in wheat that makes dough elastic.) It can be used in small portions to increase volume and lighten texture.

Dough Enhancer (recipe here) is a combination of several ingredients- Usually ginger, lecithin, ascorbic acid (Vitamin C Crystals)

Apparently, the ginger kind of gooses the yeast and makes it act more swiftly, the ascorbic acid strengthens the gluten, and the lecithin aids the oil in causing the strands of gluten to slip against each other more easily and thus rise better.

You can purchase Vital Wheat Gluten at most grocery stores in the baking isle near the flours. It's generally on the upper shelves, rather than at eye level and comes in small boxes (see the photo).

Happy Breadmaking Ladies!
    ~Liss~
    Creator & Designer of
    www.Budget101.com
    www.GroceryBudget101.com
    Budget101 Forums
    KitchenMixGifts.Budget101.com

*Newbies*
    Forum How To Guide

**The happiest people are not those with the best or the most of everything, The happiest people know how to make the best of everything they have.**

What's a Budget?
    Downloads
    Uploads

In Canada, we can only purchase Vital Wheat Gluten in bulk in a bulk food store and there aren't many of those around either and so expensive! Dough enhancer,I have never seen. I made my own.It would be so nice to be able to buy it in a box at the grocery store.

Deal GURU
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Liss View Post
    Haha, you gals are keeping me busy this morn, lol

From what I've been told by various bakers/chefs over the years- one, by making the bread tough and overly chewy; or two, by failing to trap the gas given off by the yeast, which makes the bread flat and dense.

No. well, it's very similar-

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	51RP4Z219GL.jpg 
Views:	1451 
Size:	50.7 KB 
ID:	4163 Vital Wheat Gluten is manufactured from wheat flour that has been treated to remove nearly all of the starch to leave a very high protein content. (Gluten is the protein in wheat that makes dough elastic.) It can be used in small portions to increase volume and lighten texture.

Dough Enhancer (recipe here) is a combination of several ingredients- Usually ginger, lecithin, ascorbic acid (Vitamin C Crystals)

Apparently, the ginger kind of gooses the yeast and makes it act more swiftly, the ascorbic acid strengthens the gluten, and the lecithin aids the oil in causing the strands of gluten to slip against each other more easily and thus rise better.

You can purchase Vital Wheat Gluten at most grocery stores in the baking isle near the flours. It's generally on the upper shelves, rather than at eye level and comes in small boxes (see the photo).

Happy Breadmaking Ladies!
    For some reason last night, since I couldn't sleep, I was just full of questions...lol

Thanks for clearing that one up!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast