still digging' my way out
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default compost question

Is anyone else having trouble keeping ants out of their compost piles? I went to turn mine and it was full of ants...AAAAHHHH please help!!

Budget101 Done Digging
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: compost question

the only thing i can sugest is to turn your compost ofter and keep it most. remember no meat or bread and keep a good balance of green and brown stuff. if you cant get rid of the ants by keeping it wet and turned, you may have to dump the bucket and start over. good luck

Creator & Designer of Budget101.com
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: compost question

Quote Originally Posted by hickamgirl View Post
    Is anyone else having trouble keeping ants out of their compost piles? I went to turn mine and it was full of ants...AAAAHHHH please help!!
    I had this problem last year, only it wasn't just ANY old ant farm, they were Fire ants, nasty little beasts. Normally, a few ants are helpful to your compost pile. How we got rid of them was we put a couple inches of manure/coffee grounds/ crushed egg shells over the mound and then covered it very tightly with black plastic. This causes the mound to heat up considerably, which the ants do NOT like or appreciate. Then, when they move along (some other place in your yard) you can sprinkle them with ant killer, or boric acid, etc.