Thread: MYO cat litter

still digging' my way out
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default MYO cat litter

Has anyone tried it? I found a site where you wet down newspaper and dry it, but that seems difficult, does anyone have another site?

Smart Budgeter
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: MYO cat litter

• Shred the newspaper. Collect the shreds in the extra cat litter box.

• Fill the litter box with warm water mixed with a few squirts of the biodegradable dish soap. This will create a pulpy mess that you can let sit for a couple hours. The water will turn gray from the ink, but do not be surprised if the paper does not look "clean." Ink stains on the paper will not affect your pet.

• Strain the paper in a colander. Since the dish soap is biodegradable, you can just pour the water down the drain and collect the paper mush, placing it back in the litter box.

• Soak the paper for another few hours in warm water with no soap.

• Strain the paper through the colander again. Replace the paper in the litter box.

• Sprinkle baking soda over the wet paper mush. Be liberal, and use as much as a cup or more.

• Knead the mixture with your hands. You may wish to wear the cleaning gloves to keep ink stains off your hands.

• Spread the mixture on a window screen so that it can dry in the sun. As you lift out a handful of paper and baking soda mush, squeeze all the water out of it that you can before placing it on the screen.

• Allow the homemade kitty litter to dry completely in the sun. This may take from a few hours to a day or two, depending on how hot and humid it is. Now, you are ready to put your homemade cat litter in your cat's litter box and start saving money on cat supplies.

~Shirl

Give a gift of joy...
    Give a Gift in a Jar!

Deal Goddess
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Um Yuck! Cat litter boxes are completely revolting to me . . . did you know you can Potty Train a cat?

~Enjoy!~

FreebieQueen

Like Budget101 on Facebook!
    Join us on Twitter #Budget101

Smart Budgeter
    Downloads
    Uploads

My son tried potty training their cats last year. He didn't have much luck with it even though he gave it his best effort.

Ground Level Lurker
    Downloads
    Uploads

We use wood pellets for our cat litter. $5 for a huge 40lb bag from Home depot or Canadian tire.

What's a Budget?
    Downloads
    Uploads

Potty training a cat isn't as easy as you would think AND can take quite a while. Plan on sharing your bathroom with your cat's litter box and "potty" rings while training unless you have a spare bathroom that isn't used. Then that is still no guarantee he/she will convert to the people potty.
    Quote Originally Posted by FreebieQueen View Post
    Um Yuck! Cat litter boxes are completely revolting to me . . . did you know you can Potty Train a cat?

What's a Budget?
    Downloads
    Uploads

I have a shredder and have used shredded paper straight out of the pail for my cat's litter boxes when I have run low or was out. In order to extend my litter,I would mix the shredded paper in with the litter. It seemed to help hold the clumps together better too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shirl4116 View Post
    • Shred the newspaper. Collect the shreds in the extra cat litter box.

• Fill the litter box with warm water mixed with a few squirts of the biodegradable dish soap. This will create a pulpy mess that you can let sit for a couple hours. The water will turn gray from the ink, but do not be surprised if the paper does not look "clean." Ink stains on the paper will not affect your pet.

• Strain the paper in a colander. Since the dish soap is biodegradable, you can just pour the water down the drain and collect the paper mush, placing it back in the litter box.

• Soak the paper for another few hours in warm water with no soap.

• Strain the paper through the colander again. Replace the paper in the litter box.

• Sprinkle baking soda over the wet paper mush. Be liberal, and use as much as a cup or more.

• Knead the mixture with your hands. You may wish to wear the cleaning gloves to keep ink stains off your hands.

• Spread the mixture on a window screen so that it can dry in the sun. As you lift out a handful of paper and baking soda mush, squeeze all the water out of it that you can before placing it on the screen.

• Allow the homemade kitty litter to dry completely in the sun. This may take from a few hours to a day or two, depending on how hot and humid it is. Now, you are ready to put your homemade cat litter in your cat's litter box and start saving money on cat supplies.