How to stop thumb sucking

Budget101 Discussion List Archives Kids / Children How to stop thumb sucking

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      drea

Thumb sucking may be cute in infants, but can become a real nusiance once teeth start to develop. Here are 3 methods for curbing thumb sucking:

special nail polish:
      many big box stores (like walmart and target) carry a special type of nail polish that is non-toxic but produces a bitterness on the tongue that lingers. you simply “paint” the thumb with it.

be forewarned- some kids don’t mind the taste.

thumbguard
      at rite aid, walgreens and other pharmacies you can pick up a thumb guard which slides over the wrist/hand/thunb. these range in sizes and types including fabric and plastic.
      orthodontic device
      your childs dentist can recommend an overnight mouthguard to help curb nighttime thumb sucking.

lmitchell

Bribery. My parents took me to Toys-R-Us. I was able to pick out ANYTHING I wanted….and I would be able to get it as long as I stopped sucking my thumb by the end of the month.

I wore socks on my hands at night, to prevent me from sucking my thumb at night. I don’t remember what I did to stop during the day. But, sure enough, I had my toy and the dentist was able to put the braces on my teeth.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Budget101 Discussion List Archives Kids / Children How to stop thumb sucking