What's a Budget?
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Saving with a Large Family: Reducing Grocery & Household Expenses- How?

As I have read many post on here and other sites about saving on groceries etc it is usually for the average 2 kids household. Some of us out here have more than 2 kids and some of us have currently 4 teens in the house.. So after seeing that a new thread should be made to help with large families I am going to be brave and start one. I am not saying I am a expert at all about this as i am trying to fine tune everything I have learned over the years with what I need to do today with rizing cost and cut in income. So any ideas from all of us that have larger families would be great....hope this works to help us all out. Don't think we can feed our families of 6, or 9 on 2.50 a meal but maybe we can try....

and i was not sure where to put this new thread subject...new to posting etc

2. The Following User Says Thank You to pjcamp1106 For This Useful Post:

Deal GURU
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Saving with a Large family......

Soups, stews, and casseroles would be my ideas on making less expensive meals for a larger family. Examples: beef soup, beef stew, chicken soup, chicken noodle soup, chicken stew, veggie soup, chili, spaghetti, lasagna, chicken and rice casserole variations, chicken and noodles, pot pies, chicken and dressing, burritos, enchiladas, etc... Many of these meals can be made with very little to no meat, (which increases the cost of the meal), and/or use left overs so there is little to no food waste.

I know on the Duggars website, they have several recipes for large families, including a tater tot casserole.
    Try googling frugal large family recipes and see what comes up.

Couponing and making sure everything possible is bought on rock bottom prices would help also. Make sure to wisely utilize grocery store loss leaders.

One last thing, check out the $50 weekly budget Liss has been posting for a year now...even before I decided to join, I was following her posts. I love the way she posts what she bought, the total cost, how she broke it down, and the menu. Almost all the recipes are on the website...pretty neat.
    Best wishes! Let us know how it's going.

What's a Budget?
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Saving with a Large family......

Great Ideas....i know I have been trying my best to do alot of what you listed off......

Creator & Designer of Budget101.com
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Saving with a Large Family: Reducing Grocery & Household Expenses- How?

~Liss~
    Creator & Designer of
    www.Budget101.com
    www.GroceryBudget101.com
    Budget101 Forums
    KitchenMixGifts.Budget101.com

*Newbies*
    Forum How To Guide

**The happiest people are not those with the best or the most of everything, The happiest people know how to make the best of everything they have.**