What's a Budget?
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Meal Budget Help Please!

Hello everyone! I am a newly married bride and having a bit of trouble with my grocery budget. I am finding it really hard to keep my grocery budget under 0-0 a month for myself, my husband, and my mother-in-law who is here most of the time, but is gone weeks at a time every few months. My biggest problem, is keeping them in soda and snacks. I was not raised drinking soda as we didn't have enough money. I have tried making iced-tea, but my husband still stops and gets a soda to drink on way home from work or to work . I really need to get my grocery budget down to 0 a month including cleaning and paper products. I try hard to make most things from scratch, but I find myself getting into a rut. Everything is soooooo expensive. I would really love if anyone has suggestions or if anyone would like to bounce ideas around and come up with a New Year's resolution to stick to budgets and meal planning! Thanks in advance from a overwhelmed new bride!

Deal Goddess
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Meal Budget Help Please!

My biggest problem, is keeping them in soda and snacks. I was not raised drinking soda as we didn't have enough money.
    That is the budget KILLER and it's absolutely Lousy for their health. We make homemade gatorade, tea, and lemonade. I very very very rarely buy soda or carbonated beverages.

All soda contain an array of synthetically produced chemical acids as additives, such as acetic, fumaric, gluconic, and phosphoric acids- these acids corrode the gastric lining of your stomach.

To put that in perspective- look at it this way- soda has a ph of 2.5 (the sugar content helps disguise the acidity) Battery Acid has a pH of 1. Pure Water has a pH of 7 - see what I'm getting at here. Interesting note- if you put a fish in water with a pH below 4- it would die immediately.

They sugar in soda is rapidly absorbed- which raises your blood sugar, which triggers a release of insulin, which the triggers your body to release yet another hormone called ghrelin- which causes you to feel Hungry and Eat more.

The phosphoric acid alone causes dental problems, osteoporosis (it literally leaches the calcium out of your bones). That same phosphate that rots your teeth- also causes kidney stones.

It has been PROVEN in studies that drinking 2 or more Soft drinks per WEEK increases your chances of developing Pancreatic Cancer two-fold. (Source: Cancer Epidemiology, Biomarkers and Prevention)

As a newlywed, consider this- the additives in soft drinks interfere with the hormone balance in the body. A study in Danish men found that men ho consumed a quart or more of soda on a daily basis had 30% LOWER sperm counts than men who didn't drink it.

Why do you drink it?

Cause you're thirsty? Well, consider this- if you drink it when you're thirsty- chances are you're body is already dehydrated. The feeling of "thirst" occurs when you're already in desperate need of more Water. When you're dehydrated- you have lower levels of saliva in your mouth. The saliva in your mouth helps to neutralize the acid your swishing around in your mouth when you drink the soda- so you're basically pressure washing your teeth with Acid when you drink the stuff.
    If you haven't already- check out the free eBook on cutting your grocery bill to under $200 a month. There's an updated one as well that is free for active members.

Do you menu plan? It helps get you out of the rut of making the same meals over and over . . Does anyone else in the house help buy groceries or prepare meals?
    ~Enjoy!~

FreebieQueen

Like Budget101 on Facebook!
    Join us on Twitter #Budget101

What's a Budget?
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

I would say the snacks and drinks are my biggest thing right now as well......I am trying my best to keep lemon water,koolaide,and ice tea in the fridge for everyone to drink...so far so good but we are a family of 6 so it goes very fast......now that i have been laid off and will have more time i do plan on making as many snacks as possible from granola bars to sweet bread etc.....i have also found that you can get great snacks at great prices at big lots or dallor store if you have one in your area. it is hard but you have to really stick to it...i know i am battleing with it right now but i feel i am winning the battle.....except when i went to store last night to get 1 pound of salami,i package of sliced cheese, and gallon of milk for 13.50......and i bought the generic brands......but i have to send lunches with most of my family so gotta have it

What's a Budget?
    Downloads
    Uploads

It sounds like you are doing so wonderful! I really HATE soda and snacks lol! I myself rarely drink soda. It is funny though because I keep iced tea and cold water in the fridge. My husband will come home from work and down four glasses of water and then want two glasses of soda. I think he likes the combination of fizz and sweet. I have tried hard to make snacks, but I have to admit that this last month I really fell of the wagon because I was terribly sick with the flu for three weeks.

I am sorry about your being laid off. I moved to CA to marry my husband and left my nice job back east. Within two months of marriage my husband got laid off of work and I didn't have a job. In fact I still don't. It took my husband 8 months to finally get the job he just started in Dec. Every time I think of money, I want to get sick to my stomach. I tried doing coupons, but NO store in three cities around me with double a coupon or accept a coupon on the free item of buy one get one free. I can't believe the prices. $6 for a pound of cheese!!!????? $4 a pound for ground meat?? Sadly, if chicken is on a great sale, I get a bunch of it and we have chicken in all its forms for two or three weeks straight. With every meal I serve either rice pilaf, swedish potatos or some form of potato, and a soup usually with veggies.

I didn't think of keeping koolaid in the fridge. I bet my husband would like that. Thank you for taking the time to respond!

What's a Budget?
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thank you very much for responding to my post! I rarely drink soda myself because my grandfather and grandmother raised my mom that soda was horrible, which it is. You gave me a lot of info to pass on to my husband about soda. Perhaps that will finally convince him to get off of it. And honestly, I don't even know why he drinks it, as he always drinks water or iced tea either with or without sugar first, and then he drinks his soda. Sigh! But I think he will listen to the different studies that you mentioned. Thank you very much! I appreciate it.

Creator & Designer of Budget101.com
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by perpetua View Post
    Thank you very much for responding to my post! I rarely drink soda myself because my grandfather and grandmother raised my mom that soda was horrible, which it is
    When I was growing up I remember when they had the big Coke/Pepsi debate- which was better, etc - I know certain family members bought tons of soda all the time and I see the toll it took on their teeth and health. It makes me cringe when I see kids drinking it bottle after bottle at sports events, etc.

And honestly, I don't even know why he drinks it,
    It's addictive, your body becomes addicted to the sugar and the caffeine and you crave it, like you would a cigarette. It's frustrating when you're the one trying to plan and keep track and other family members aren't as "into it" as you'd like them to be.

I think he likes the combination of fizz and sweet.
    They do have a soda machine thing that you can buy to carbonate your own beverages. I haven't done the price breakdown to see if it's worth it, but it might be worth looking into if they really wont give up soda.

Sadly, if chicken is on a great sale, I get a bunch of it and we have chicken in all its forms for two or three weeks straight. With every meal I serve either rice pilaf, swedish potatos or some form of potato, and a soup usually with veggies.
    I love chicken- it's just about The Cheapest, most versatile ingredient available. I frequently buy boneless skinless breast for $1.33-$1.50 per pound. I almost never buy ground beef anymore- I usually substitute ground turkey. I find that for only $1.25-$1.50 per pound at Aldi's. I have a tendency to stock up on them when I do manage to find them. Although, I was able to get great case prices for beef last year on occasions.
    PJ wrote: I would say the snacks and drinks are my biggest thing right now as well......I am trying my best to keep lemon water,koolaide,and ice tea in the fridge for everyone to drink...so far so good but we are a family of 6 so it goes very fast
    Pj, did you see my response to your post on GB101 regarding the $50 weekly menu plan & ideas?? I think the prices are only good on the flyers until tomorrow.
    ~Liss~
    Creator & Designer of
    www.Budget101.com
    www.GroceryBudget101.com
    Budget101 Forums
    KitchenMixGifts.Budget101.com

*Newbies*
    Forum How To Guide

**The happiest people are not those with the best or the most of everything, The happiest people know how to make the best of everything they have.**

Deal GURU
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

The store bought snacks and soda needs to be the first things to go.
    Do you menu plan? Shop the weekly rock bottom loss leaders? Do you stockpile pantry items when on great sales? These things will save an enormous amount of money on groceries.
    Check out the $50 menus on here...I love them! Even with picky eaters, you'll find great examples of how to get your grocery budget even lower than your goal.