Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    fme2356

Default Cell phone for a 10 yr old???

My daughter has been bugging me for a cell phone for a year now. I've

told her no several times and I have my reasons. I just feel bad when

the majority of her 5th grade class has one.

Do you child have a cell phone? What made you buy them one?

Mark and Emily May

My BF got her 8 yo a cell phone b/c he was
    going to go to a 3 day church camp. He didn’t go to camp, but he still
    carries the phone. I think it’s a Firefly – she got it on the
    Cingular website. I just don’t understand the purchase – he’s
    always at a friend’s house (within a block), and there is always an adult
    with them. Now my 6 yo wants one. I told her she could have one when she was
    the EXACT same age as Tyler
    – which will be never. <font size="2" color="navy" face="Wingdings">10.0pt;font-family:Wingdings;color:navy;">J

I don’t understand why kids need
    cell phones – pre-teens (13 & up), maybe since they go to the mall,
    movies, etc. Has anyone noticed the lack of pay phones around anymore?

Emily

From: Budget101_@yahoogroups.com [mailto:Budget101_@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of fme2356

Sent: Thursday, June 21, 2007 9:01
    AM

To: Budget101_@yahoogroups.com

Subject: Budget101.com : Cell
    phone for a 10 yr old???

My daughter has been bugging me for a cell phone for a
    year now. I've

12.0pt;color:

herberkids3

No, no, and no. My daughter is 11, and she has 2 friends with cell

phones. She has been bugging me for one. I told her the same thing

I'll say now- there is NO reason for a 10 year old, a 12 year old,

or a 15 year old to have a cell phone.

Yes, I know people will jump up and say, "But we can get ahold of

them easier!" I'd like to point out that when we were all teens, we

never had cells, let alone when we were 10. We checked in with a

regular phone, and didn't rack up MASSIVE bills from texting,

calling people all day, or get into trouble at school for taking a

phone to school.

We told our daughter that when she is 16, and has a job to pay for a

phone, along with getting good grades, we will consider letting her

get a cell.

There is simply NO good reason for a child to have one. If she

REALLY wants a phone, put a landline in her room.

--- In Budget101_@yahoogroups.com, "fme2356" <fme2356@...> wrote:

>

> My daughter has been bugging me for a cell phone for a year now.

I've

> told her no several times and I have my reasons. I just feel bad

when

> the majority of her 5th grade class has one.

>

> Do you child have a cell phone? What made you buy them one?

>

Donna Reichle

<FONT face="Times New Roman" size="4">I agonized over this too. I have having the large monthly bills for the phones and I did NOT want to add yet another line. However, I did finally break down and get my 12 year old a phone. Reason: she is in many after school activities, some of which require her to walk a bit (in our small town with a bunch of friends), and I want to know she got where she was going and is OK. Also, with afterschool sports, if she ever misses the late bus, school is closed up by then and she could end up being stranded. So, for me, it is purely a safety issue. We have 500 minutes a month for the three of us, that should be more than enough for all of us (my dh and I only use about 100 minutes combined). If she goes over, she WILL be paying for it. If she text messages, she WILL be paying for it. We've only had it a month or so, we will see how it goes!
    <FONT face="Times New Roman" size="4">Donna

<FONT face="Times New Roman" size="4">Donna Reichle
    Creative Memories Senior Consultant and Personal Album Coach
    CMCDonna@epix.net
    YOUR LIFE/YOUR STORY/YOUR WAY
    www.mycmsite.com/CMCDonna
    MY CM ID for Photo Center: #37298611

Miskin Meadows

<SPAN class="859051412-22062007"><FONT face="Comic Sans MS" color="#800080" size="4">My kids were told if you want a cell phone or I pod etc....then get a part time job to pay for one.
    <SPAN class="859051412-22062007"><FONT face="Comic Sans MS" color="#800080" size="4">
    <SPAN class="859051412-22062007"><FONT face="Comic Sans MS" color="#800080" size="4">I will not supply them one just because their friends have one. we always tell the kids when that excuse is heard that why not save your money for fun stuff and use your friends cell phones<LOL> it really works...
    <SPAN class="859051412-22062007"><FONT face="Comic Sans MS" color="#800080" size="4">my daughter was cutting grass for 2 neighbors and yard work at that age and walking dogs for spending money.. teaches them the value of money which many kids don't get these days.

<FONT face="Comic Sans MS"><FONT color="#800080">Regards,
    Bev & John
    Miskin Meadows Farm
    http://www.hawk.igs.net/~emerald/index.html
    <FONT color="#000080"><FONT face="Comic Sans MS">
    <FONT face="Comic Sans MS" color="#800080">"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind
    of battle."

armstrca

<DIV dir="ltr" align="left"><SPAN class="752595912-22062007">Mine has one. He is 12. I got it for him when he was 9. I use it as an electronic tether. When he goes over to a friend's house, he must have it and it must be on. So when he misses his deadline to come home I can call him and ask him what time it is <grin>.
    <DIV dir="ltr" align="left"><SPAN class="752595912-22062007">
    <DIV dir="ltr" align="left"><SPAN class="752595912-22062007">I highly recommend using only a pay as you go service. Virgin is the one I use for him. (https://www.<WBR title="https://www.virginmobileusa.com/">virginmobileusa.<WBR title="https://www.virginmobileusa.com/">com/) You can buy a refurbished phone ot their website for $10. Then put $20 on it to activate it and keep it going for 3 months (if he doesn't talk much on it - if he does, I have to add more $$$). Target has the phone cards on sale for Virgin wireless once in a while (2 $20 cards for $30). Plus if he looses it, get the spare cell you got when you got the 1st one, move the minutes and # to the spare phone. What are you out? A total of $10. So he doesn't loose an expensive phone or have it count against your cell contract.
    <DIV dir="ltr" align="left"><SPAN class="752595912-22062007">BTW... stick to your guns if you have already said no. Then the next time she asks, give her a motive to get one... if you keep your room clean for a month, then we will see.

From: Budget101_@yahoogroups.com [mailto:Budget101_@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of fme2356
    Sent: Thursday, June 21, 2007 9:01 AM
    Subject: Budget101.com : Cell phone for a 10 yr old???<SPAN class="752595912-22062007">
    <SPAN class="752595912-22062007">
    My daughter has been bugging me for a cell phone for a year now. I've told her no several times and I have my reasons.

Carrie Zalenski

Great idea about the motive! Thank you! I never thought about that.I just think she is to young to have one. But if I make her work hard to get it and then have it as a reward that will work. I'll see how bad she wants it!I think I will wait until school starts back and make her work hard to get this phone. Once she gets it I'm sure she will be very thankful.

armstrca <carmstr1@ems.jsc.nasa.gov> wrote: <DIV dir="ltr" align="left"><SPAN class="752595912-22062007">Mine has one. He is 12. I got it for him when he was 9. I use it as an electronic tether. When he goes over to a friend's house, he must have it and it must be on. So when he misses his deadline to come home I can call him and ask him what time it is <grin>. <DIV dir="ltr" align="left"><SPAN class="752595912-22062007"> <DIV dir="ltr" align="left"><SPAN class="752595912-22062007">I highly recommend using only a pay as you go service. Virgin is the one I use for him. (https://www.<WBR title="https://www.virginmobileusa.com/">virginmobileusa.<WBR title="https://www.virginmobileusa.com/">com/) You can buy a refurbished phone ot their website for $10. Then put $20 on it to activate it and keep it going for 3 months (if he doesn't talk much on it - if he does, I have to add more $$$). Target has the phone cards on sale for Virgin wireless once in a while (2 $20 cards for $30). Plus if he looses it, get the spare cell you got when you got the 1st one, move the minutes and # to the spare phone. What are you out? A total of $10. So he doesn't loose an expensive phone or have it count against your cell contract. <DIV dir="ltr" align="left"><SPAN class="752595912-22062007">BTW... stick to your guns if you have already said no. Then the next time she asks, give her a motive to get one... if you keep your room
    clean for a month, then we will see.
    Sent: Thursday, June 21, 2007 9:01 AM
    Subject: Budget101.com : Cell phone for a 10 yr old???<SPAN class="752595912-22062007"> <SPAN class="752595912-22062007">
    My daughter has been bugging me for a cell phone for a year now. I've told her no several times and I have my reasons.

Join in on the Fun! I love it! Fun, fast and easy!

&#32;
    You snooze, you lose. Get messages ASAP with AutoCheck
    in the all-new Yahoo! Mail Beta.

Ray and Jen

<font size="4" color="navy" face="Tahoma">
    14.0pt;font-family:Tahoma;color:navy;">
    14.0pt;font-family:Tahoma;color:navy;">My daughter is 10, and will be going into
    the 5<sup>th</sup> grade in August. She doesn’t have a cell phone
    now, and I don’t foresee one any time in the near future. I think you
    should stick to your guns and not let what other parent’s do or think persuade
    you to change your mind. Sometimes I think there is as much peer pressure
    on parents as there is kids.
    14.0pt;font-family:Tahoma;color:navy;">Just remember that you are the one paying
    for the phone and what lesson is your child going to learn? Make mom feel
    bad and I get what I want.
    14.0pt;font-family:Tahoma;color:navy;">
    14.0pt;font-family:Tahoma;color:navy;">Jennifer<font color="navy" face="Tahoma"><span style="font-family:Tahoma;color:navy;">, KY
    <font size="4" color="navy" face="Comic Sans MS">13.5pt;font-family:"Comic Sans MS";color:navy;">God is GOOD!!

<p class="Heading21"><font size="3" color="navy" face="Georgia">12.0pt;color:navy;"><a name="7"></a>Cell phone for a 10 yr old???
    <font size="2" face="Arial">10.0pt;font-family:Arial;letter-spacing:0pt;font-weight:bold;">Posted
    by: "fme2356" <font color="#1e66ae"><span style="color:#1E66AE;">fme2356@yahoo.com
    <font color="#1e66ae"><span style="color:#1E66AE;">fme2356

7.5pt;font-family:
    Verdana;letter-spacing:0pt;font-weight:bold;">Thu
    7.5pt;font-family:Verdana;letter-spacing:
    0pt;font-weight:bold;">Jun21,2007
    7.5pt;font-family:Verdana;letter-spacing:
    0pt;font-weight:bold;">
    7.5pt;font-family:Verdana;letter-spacing:0pt;font-weight:
    bold;">6:32pm
    7.5pt;font-family:Verdana;letter-spacing:0pt;font-weight:bold;">
    (PST)

<font size="2" face="Georgia">10.0pt;font-family:Georgia;letter-spacing:0pt;">My daughter has been bugging me for a cell phone for a year
    now. I've

<font size="4" face="Bauer Bodoni Bold BT">14.0pt;">
    <font size="4" face="Bauer Bodoni Bold BT">14.0pt;">

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast