1 tablespoon chopped pimiento
    1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
    Topping:
    2 cups biscuit baking mix
    2 tablespoons shortening
    1/3 cup milk
    Heat oven to 450.

Prepare filling:
    In a skillet, melt butter over medium-low heat. Add onion and celery. Saute, stirring, until tender. Blend in the flour, salt, and pepper, stirring and cooking until smooth and bubbly. Gradually add vegetable broth, stirring constantly. Add milk, stirring. Continue cooking, stirring, until mixture is thickened. Add remaining filling ingredients and bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Continue stirring and cooking gently for about 30 seconds. Pour filling into an 11 1/2 x 7 1/2-inch baking dish. Keep warm in the oven while making the biscuit topping.Prepare topping:
    In a bowl, combine the baking mix, shortening, and milk. Stir with a fork to make a soft dough. Shape into a smooth ball on a floured surface and knead about 5 times. Pat dough into a rectangle about 11x7-inches to fit baking dish. Cut 4 to 6 slits in top of the dough then carefully fit over the hot filling. Bake for about 15 to 20 minutes, until topping is browned and filling is bubbly.
    Serves 6.

(I had to delete the previous thread as it wouldn't save the editing -- silly me forgot to add the directions the first time...that's what I get for multi-tasking! LOL!)

Creator & Designer of Budget101.com
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Creamy Broccoli Pie

This recipe sounds delicious, can't wait to try it!

(I had to delete the previous thread as it wouldn't save the editing
    Ugh, yeah, I still haven't figured out which mod is causing that issue . . . in the future, if you get that issue, just click on the "Go Advanced" tab when editing and then click save and it WILL save everything without an error.
    ~Liss~
    Creator & Designer of
    www.Budget101.com
    www.GroceryBudget101.com
    Budget101 Forums
    KitchenMixGifts.Budget101.com

*Newbies*
    Forum How To Guide

**The happiest people are not those with the best or the most of everything, The happiest people know how to make the best of everything they have.**

Deal GURU
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks, Boss...will do...that is if I dummy-up again! LOL!

Ground Level Lurker
    Downloads
    Uploads

Anyone have any success with picky eaters and this recipe? I was wondering how strong the broccoli taste in this is?

Deal GURU
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

This is a vegetarian leftover recipe. So if you use leftover broccoli, it will be softer. Try tossing the leftover broccoli in the blender of food processor to make a 'paste' then add as instructed. This should diffuse the broccoli 'taste' and fool the picky eaters. I shared this recipe with a good friend that has picky eaters (her DH says, "If they don't want to eat it, give them something else!" Sorry, but personally, I have a problem with that. I grew up with the approach that this was all there was to eat. We required our DD to at least try it and now she's mostly vegetarian. She only eats meat or fish three times a week. The rest of her meals are meatless...she'll be 35 at the end of the month.) Back to the friend...it is now a family favorite...giggle...
    Let me know if this works for you...if not, I'll brainstorm another option...

Super Moderator
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by mos View Post
    This is a vegetarian leftover recipe. So if you use leftover broccoli, it will be softer. Try tossing the leftover broccoli in the blender of food processor to make a 'paste' then add as instructed. This should diffuse the broccoli 'taste' and fool the picky eaters. I shared this recipe with a good friend that has picky eaters (her DH says, "If they don't want to eat it, give them something else!" Sorry, but personally, I have a problem with that. I grew up with the approach that this was all there was to eat.
    I'm with you on this one, eat it or go without. One close friend of our will sometimes make up to 3 different meals in 1 night because her kids are so picky about what they'll eat. She can't seem to grasp why she spends $1,000 a month in food!
    The funny thing is, when her kids visit my house, they shut up and eat. I think kids are raised to be "picky". If you start out when they're small giving them the choice, eat or go without, they learn not to be picky right away.

Deal GURU
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

MIssDaisy...you are my kinda gal! LOL! I totally agree that with what you said. Have you shared this site with your friend? With most of us saying, "Eat or go to bed hungry" she might have the courage to stand firm. As with you, all of my DD's 'picky eater' friends that stayed for dinner or sleep-overs, ate everything in sight once they learned that what they saw was all they were gonna get! LOL! Parents were stunned...giggle...