Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Deal GURU
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Post What would be your most recommended frugal tips?

Not only am I looking to save as much as possible for this upcoming year, but I also have a very close friend who is really going to need as much advice as possible...her DH is being laid off and isn't sure of when he's going to be able to go back, if at all...So...

What would be your most recommended frugal tips?

Budget101 Guru
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: What would be your most recommended frugal tips?

Okay here are my top 3 tips

1. Follow the Weekly $50 menus to get ideas on cheap recipes and grocery budget deals.
    2. Figure out where you waste the most money like clothes shopping or groceries or cleaners etc
    3. Remove ALL clutter from your home and life. Clutter cuases extreme poverty as far as I am concerned!
    CC,

Yeah, This is my life now!

Smart Budgeter
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thumbs up Re: What would be your most recommended frugal tips?

I agree with Candace on the weekly menus. We've drastically reduced our grocery bill the last several months since we started using the tips on menu planning and shopping using sales cycles.

One of the big expenses in our household is pet care. I've found tons of tips on healthful pet care recipes and do it yourself treats here. So far we've saved a little over $300 using the recipes we've found, especially the pest ones. :cat:
    ~No Matter how bad it gets, I'm rich at the Dollar Store!!~

Deal GURU
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thank you both so much for the ideas! If you have more, please post them...all frugal tips are appreciated.

Ground Level Lurker
    Downloads
    Uploads

A huge money saver for me was to actually have my husband pay bills with me. Now that he is aware of what they are, he has reduced his spending.

What's a Budget?
    Downloads
    Uploads

Ok, my money saving tips...
    1. turn off all extras in the house. (cable, phone, internet etc) this can save more then a 100 dollars a month. Most have cell phones so you have phone, watch movies or get movies from the library and while your there, go on the internet and do what you need to do.
    2. Use everything to its fullest.
    3. Make lists when shopping and only buy what is on the list!
    cut down or delete your milk. gallons of milk are around 3.00 buy dry milk powder for way cheaper...look in the ethnic aisle because leche is milk...its even cheaper then our powdered milk. just watch the weight of the boxes or packages and compare.
    4. barter, trade, make if you can't buy it barter for what you need and give something of value to the person, trade skills or tasks for what you need, make it ...you can do it just look at the library or youtube...the info is out there to make just about anything your heart desires.
    5. ask questions ask for help ask to barter/trade etc. the worst that can happen is they say no. but in this day and age most people are willing to trade...check craigslist under the barter trade. check freecyle.com
    6. when you are needing to do shopping, do all the things you can in that area...stop thinking you should go to 5 stores to get the best deals. This is a waste of gas, time and sanity. Find which of the places has the best deal then go there, even if you pay higher on one or two items you'll be saving on gas to make up for it. UNLESS the store is on the way home.
    7. Make those homemade versions of all that packaged foods. You save so much money. For instance for my family of 4 I was spending around 600 a month on food. Plus going out to eat at around 200 a month. Well, we started eating out just once or twice but only at those places we could all eat for 20 bucks or under...and bought store brands...I then cut it even more by deleting all the prepackage foods, buying more grains, potatoes, noodles and beans/lentils. These things are fillers! You pay low amount to fill up and can be added to small amounts of meat.
    8. garden- yep ok here goes..save those greenpepper seeds, tomato, potato, etc. Then plant them during the season. I was paying close to 150 a month on fruits and veggies but with my gardening, have reduced it to next to nothing and only buy the stuff thats on the discount racks. Man this saves a ton of money. I bought a celery last year for 50 cents I cut off the bottom and planted it and got another one from it. you can do this with so many veggies.
    9. read- if you reduce the amount you depend on the tv/internet etc you reduce electric. a small lamp gives off just alittle electricity.
    unplug anything not being used. you would be amazed at how much each item uses even when not on but still plugged in.
    10. Make Christmas- a giftbasket hand woven from scraps of kids clothes that are discards, filled with homemade laundry soap, soup mixes, dessert mixes etc is such an awesome gift because it works as a incentive for others to save and make their own.
    I have so many more but hands are hurting and must stop. Hope this helps someone...and if you have questions...please don't hesitate because a one who shares their knowledge is one who cares. Blessings

Budget101 Guru
    Downloads
    Uploads

1. Only pay with cash. If you have a budget of $75 total to spend for the week put the cash in your wallet NO DEBIT CARD . It is so much easier not to pick up that pack of gum at the checkout when you physically can touch how much you have left for the week.

2. Only go to the store once a week. If you run out of something put it on next weeks list. I only shop on Wednesdays. If I forget something or we run out of something we wait till the next Wednesday. There isn't anything in the house that can't wait a week. The less trips to the store the less money spent. Also, if you are adding a MUST HAVE to next weeks list then it will keep you from spending money on something that may not really be needed.

Budget101 Guru
    Downloads
    Uploads

Pay in cash, make things from scratch, have more meatless meals (unless your are vegetarian/vegan, then it doesn't matter), handwash dishes instead of using a dishwasher, hang clothes to dry to save on electricity, collect aluminum cans to bring to a recycling depot (it might not be much, but it adds up), walk or ride a bike instead of driving to save gas, grow your own veggies, shop at a local farmers market vs. grocery store for cheaper and better food. Also, learning to can will be able to help save money. Hope things work out for your friend.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast