Deal GURU
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Has anyone noticed side effects with Sentinel in their pets?

In the past, all three of my dogs were on Sentinel. That stuff works great, but very early this year, one of my dogs started having seizures.
    Vets weren't sure why, but his Grand Mal seizures got worse, so he went on meds for them. Even on the meds, he started having cluster grand Mal seizures...so things were getting worse. In the end, I had to have him euthanized.
    Later, I learned, there is a possible link to the ingestion of Sentinel causing seizures in animals...Was wondering if anyone else may have heard anything about this?
    ((Needless to say, my remaining two dogs ARE NOT on this))

Deal Goddess
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Has anyone noticed side effects with Sentinel in their pets?

I have a tendency to medicate my animals myself by purchasing certain items in bulk. We have several horses, goats and a couple dozen various feathered friends. The primary ingredient in Sentinel is lufenuron, which has some rather nasty side effects. Lefenuron is highly acutely toxic, a cholinesterase inhibitor, known/probable carcinogen, known groundwater pollutant or known reproductive or developmental toxicant. In short, it's pure poison. The probably reason for the Grand Mal Seizures is due to the Cholinesterase inhibitor. Proper functioning of the nervous system requires an enzyme called cholinesterase (ChE), which facilitates the transmission of nerve impulses. ChE-inhibiting pesticides disable this enzyme, resulting in symptoms of neurotoxicity---tremors, nausea, and weakness at low doses; paralysis and death at higher doses. Btw, don't get this stuff on yourself- it is a known cause of Parkinsons Disease.

There are several flea chemicals that have a tendency to cause Grand Mal seizures in certain breeds of dogs, particularly Border Collies, but not limited to them. It is for this reason that I avoid these chemicals at all costs.

We use Diatomaceous Earth on our pets, it works 100% safely without fear of your kids accidentally getting it on their hands and transferring any chemicals to their skin or eyes. The fine powder absorbs lipids from the waxy outer layer of insects' exoskeletons, causing them to dehydrate & the fleas/ticks die as a result.

It's safe, natural and and inexpensive to acquire. Sorry to hear about your dog!
    ~Enjoy!~

FreebieQueen

Like Budget101 on Facebook!
    Join us on Twitter #Budget101

Deal GURU
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Wow, I was so unaware of this...re-reading this kinda breaks my heart because it seems it could've been avoided.
    The dog I was referring to was a German Shepherd...a very large one, but such a wonderful boy.
    I wish the vet that put my dogs on this terrible stuff would have warned me of such possible effects...I'm actually considering changing...
    Thank you so much for the advice on diatomaceous Earth. I like it's a natural alternative without the potential negative side effects. Now I've just got to figure out where to get it...

Deal Goddess
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Fire Re: Has anyone noticed side effects with Sentinel in their pets?

Re: Has anyone noticed side effects with Sentinel in their pets?
    Originally Posted by MrsPaws
    Wow, I was so unaware of this...re-reading this kinda breaks my heart because it seems it could've been avoided.
    The dog I was referring to was a German Shepherd...a very large one, but such a wonderful boy.

Oh, I should've known. Shepherds carry the MDR1 Gene (actually, only 10% of Shepherds carry the Gene.) It causes them to have a MAJOR sensitivity to Ivermectin- as well as several other parasite pesticides, it can kill them. Ivermectin is used for worming. You can have your dog tested for this gene at the vets and it's relatively inexpensive. Here is a link to the Veterinary Clinical Pharmacology Lab (College of Veterinary Medicine). They have published studies on this gene and it's effects:
    Breeds of dogs affected with the mutant MDR1 gene. Information from the VCPL at Washington State University.

I wish the vet that put my dogs on this terrible stuff would have warned me of such possible effects...I'm actually considering changing...

Ironically, most vets are unaware. I remember bringing this to the attention of one vet several years ago and he blew me off completely. I had to find published literature about it online and drop it off to his office because he was such a jerk about it.

Thank you so much for the advice on diatomaceous Earth. I like it's a natural alternative without the potential negative side effects. Now I've just got to figure out where to get it

It does work wonderfully. You can buy it in bulk (dirt cheap) at Lowes or Pool Supply stores. At lowes or home depot its located in the home and garden section.

Best wishes for you and your pup, I hope you have a wonderful Holiday.

~Liss
    ~Enjoy!~

FreebieQueen

Deal Goddess
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

just a thought, the major issue could actually have been your dogs heartworm medicine.

MDR1 is the abbreviated name of a gene called Multi-Drug Resistance 1. A mutation of this gene causes sensitivity to Ivermectin and a number of other drugs. Dogs with the mutation will react to those drugs. Having two copies of the mutation will lead to drug reactions, but having a single copy can also confer some sensitivity with some drugs. Dogs with this mutation have a transport defect - the drug goes in to their brains, fails to be transported out, and builds up to toxic levels. This causes serious neurological problems including seizures and sometimes death.

Just for future reference, here is a list other drugs known to cause issues in dogs carrying the MDR1 gene:

Drugs reported to cause problems in dogs that carry the MDR1 mutation. Information from the VCPL at Washington State University.

What to use INSTEAD:
    Dogs in the affected breeds should use milbemycin oxide (Interceptor) for heartworm preventative instead of ivermectin as it’s generally considered a safer alternative
    ~Enjoy!~

FreebieQueen

Ground Level Lurker
    Downloads
    Uploads

Gave sentinel to my dog today and he had a reaction. . His little face and eyes were swollen in about 10,15 minutes. . Has anyone else experienced this?.